“Ordinary Food at a Crowded Diner”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Maine Diner

Maine Diner
Ranked #6 of 68 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Diner, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tucson, Arizona
“Ordinary Food at a Crowded Diner”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

While the Maine Diner is an old staple, 2010 award winner, and had been on the Food Channel, our experience was less than expected. At 1:30 there was a 20 minute wait. My wife ordered the chicken pot pie while I ordered the fried clam strips. We also had a half order of onion rings. There was nothing outstanding about any of the dishes other than the portions are large. The pot pie was ordinary with large chunks of chicken. The massive pile of onion rings was all stuck together by way too much dough. The clam strips were tasty but nothing special.

Based on our entrees we passed on dessert. While having a "must go" reputation, it is an old style diner with nothing special to recommend it.

Potsdam, New York
“Always a stop on our list - long before Triple D visited...”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We always have to stop once when in the S. Maine area...call it tradition, call it gluttony, call it sentimental, just call my number so the wife gets to order up their Lobster Pie and I get to have whatever my 'buds seem to crave! The Lobster Pie is like most of their menu items, simple traditional dishes not trying to compete with Gourmet chefs or hyped cuisine. Yes, call it simple food, but its good and has been the same for the two decades we've stopped in. Don't doubt the other reviews that you will wait in season for an hour or more, don't doubt that you might find some better food elsewhere, but don't doubt that you won't find a more authentic place to let you know what it was like to dine in Maine BEFORE everyone discovered Maine. Other reviewers don't get that - its okay, just stop in and enjoy it for yourself!

“Hometown goodness”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We liked the Diner and had nice portions. We most generally waited about 10-15 mins to be seated. They made room for everyone. It was a nice place to stop and they have a gift shop too.

Kingston, New York
“Remember...it's a diner!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We visited the Maine Diner on a return trip home from Maine on Friday, Sepetember 13th. Of course I was aware of it beimg featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives", but that held no special appeal to me, as we were stopping for a late breakfast, and logistically this worked. After a short wait, we were seated.
I ordered an omelette, which was huge, with a side of gluten-free toast. Certainly as good as any other diner breakfast I've eaten. My companion was satisfied with the selection called "ACES HIGH", which was basically one of everything.
Again, keeping in mind that this is a diner, albeit one with a more unsual menu, I think this is more of a breakfast choice than anything else. Be prepared for a fairly high volume of noise, as the turnover here is non-stop. Definitely try to get a booth rather than the tiny two-person tables in between the booths and the counter, as well.

Miami Beach, Florida
“Sooo good!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Worth the short wait to get in. As seen on diners, drive ins and dives, this place lives up to its reputation. Had the best lobster roll...ever. And I grew up in New England and have had plenty on my lifetime. Be sure to get it cold, not warm. Not one person walked out without the biggest smile on their faces!!!

• Visited September 2013

Been to Maine Diner? Share your experiences!