“Diner Shines!”

Cuisines: American, Diner, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went to this diner because of the recommendation not only of Diners, Drive Ins & Dives, but from our travel agent. We were not disappointed. The chowder was absolutely satiny. There were whole scallops, shrimp, clams, large chunks of lobster & potatoes in the creamy broth. The lobster pie was good though the crust was a little thick and sort of masked the flavor of the lobster so we just pushed it aside. The cod cake was very different and I'm sure a local favorite. We got a piece of blueberry pie to go and it was also delicious. I just wish we lived were closer so we could try all the other wonderful sounding items on their menu! Also, there's a really nice gift shop next door and the owner is an extremely nice lady. The prices aren't sky high either! Gotta love it!

1  Thank Trave2leverywhere
There are newer reviews for Maine Diner

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have been to Maine Diner several times. Every time we visit Maine, we eat at Maine Diner at least once. We've never had a bad meal there. It doesn't matter if it's oatmeal, a burger or the lobster pie or salmon pie, it's always delicious. The wait staff is nice too. Many of the wait staff have been there for years. One time, my son and I were sitting at the counter. Dick Henry, the owner, was ringing at the cash register. Dick and my son, who was around 18 at the time, struck up a conversation. My son enjoyed talking to him so much. To this day, my son remembers the conversation and always stops Dick in the restaurant to say hi to him. If you have to wait to be seated, visit their gift shop, Remember the Maine next door. It's a fun place to kill time and walk around.........or maybe even buy something.

1  Thank ibw59
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I live in Maine and have been to the Diner 7 or 8 times over the past year, each time hoping it would get better but unfortunately, it just kept getting worse to the point where I won't be back.

Pros
- A very large menu
- Breakfast anytime during the day
- Fast service
- Courteous and attentive waitstaff

Cons
- Food very bland
- Way overpriced for a diner (example: a club sandwich with french fries: $11.95) (the dinner special was $30.95(!))
- The hostess was rude
- The restaurant is extremely cramped with minimal room between tables
- Skimpy portion sizes

Being a Diner, you don't expect fine dining but you do expect good food, good portion sizes and reasonable prices. Unfortunately, this restaurant misses the mark by a mile.

1  Thank Mainer_77
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Went to the Maine Diner for breakfast before heading home to NY. Had been looking forward to the trip for my blueberry pancakes and I was not disappointed. Kathy was our waitress..she was very attentive, friendly and efficient. We arrived about 8:15 and got a table right away. Just in time, as the place filled up really quickly and there was a line when we left. Breakfast was served quickly...everything was delicious. My blueberry pancakes were fab-u-lous!! Visited the gift shop next door too. Great visit.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

After seeing the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives banner out front, we decided to give the Maine Diner a try. We were sat quickly, and the waitress was reasonably attentive. Unfortunately, things sort of went down hill from there.

When ordering, I asked the waitress if the corned beef hash was house-made or canned. The answer was canned. I asked her if they would cook the canned corned beef so it was crispy, and she said that the cooks would not be able to do that. So I settled on Eggs Benedict, which is not something I would normally order. My wife ordered a bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich on a biscuit and side of sausage gravy and biscuits.

The eggs benedict was a little weird -- I'm used to having it with canadian bacon, and this one was served with ham. The hollandaise sauce was cold, and the butter was starting to separate out. Not very appetizing, although the flavor was okay.

My wife's biscuit was thick and doughy, like it had been kneaded too much and then not cooked all the way through. The sausage gravy was the same story -- cold, made with what seemed to be Italian sausage, and was cold.

Not a very positive experience, and after eating at Congdon's Doughnuts the next day, we will never be back.

2  Thank Jonathan A

Been to Maine Diner? Share your experiences!