“A fun tourist dining experience”
Review of Maine Diner

Maine Diner
Ranked #8 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Diner, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The menu is quite diverse (lots of breakfast items, but other stuff too) but we never have complaints, no matter what my family orders. It is very very busy, so expect to wait for seating, and the service is a bit slow. The gift shop is fantastic and we always visit that even if we skip the restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Maine Diner

Reviewed August 8, 2011

The only negative is that it is ALWAYS crowded, so expect to wait. That tells you something, though. Good things come to those who wait! The food is consistently great, served by friendly, knowledgeable, dedicated staff.

My husband ALWAYS gets the fried seafood, either clams, fish, or a combo plate. Or a fried haddock sandwich. He also ALWAYS gets the clam chowder. He raves about both.

My daughter LOVES their Shepard's Pie (a Tuesday special) as well as the turkey dinner, as well as the giant stack of pancakes that you can get any time of day.

The corn muffin that accompanies most meals is delicious - one of the best ever.

Although we come to Maine every summer, I don't eat seafood, so I always go for either the turkey dinner or the chicken pot pie (superb!) - the salads are also great - crisp with fresh grown vegetables. The potato skins appetizer is the best I have ever had - TONS of cheese and REAL bacon.

Lots of GREAT dessert choices - strawberry shortcake, Maine blueberry pie, but the all-time favorite has to be the chocolate-chip cookie dough pie. It is sinfully sweet.

Remember, this is a Diner - very family friendly. It is not the place to bring your spouse for an intimate, romantic dinner. It is busy, lots of hustling and bustling as the staff aims to please its customers.

You won't be sorry if you eat at the Maine Diner, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!!

(Note: They only serve beer and wine, no alcohol.)

Reviewed August 7, 2011

After a day of shopping in Freeport, the Maine Diner was the perfect dinner spot... Had the chicken pot pie...it is fantastic!! Had to wait a little while for seating but worth it! Love this place and cannot wait to eat here again!!

Reviewed August 5, 2011

Given their history and their great ratings and all, I expected a really good dinner. What we found was a steamy hot, crowded, dilapidated dining room, a lackluster menu, servers who seemed overworked beyond caring anymore, and food that wasn't particularly palate pleasing. Actually, my scallops in some sort of bland sauce I forgot the name of tasted leathery. The salad was warm. My sister's fish and chips must have been tolerable because I can't recall her complaining. I ate here one time before about 12 years ago and remember having an unbelievable lobster feast. Not sure what's happened since then to take the dining from great to borderline lousy but I'm sorry to say I can't honestly recommend this place to anybody.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Quick service and good food -- not great, but good. A bit pricey for "diner" food but the staff is exceptionally friendly so that really makes up for it. We stop every year on our way through for lobster pie!

Been to Maine Diner? Share your experiences!