“Wells Beach Motor Inn”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wells
Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Wells
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I can honestly not say enough about what a great vacation and what a great property this is. In June we decided we wanted to go away for the 4th of July weekend. I found the Lafayette online but I called them directly. I wanted an oceanfront room! I was so pleasantly surprised when I called and the lady on the phone was soooo very nice AND they had an oceanfront room open for the time period I wanted. It was in their newly renovated bldg "The Wells Motor Inn". She had a King room and 2 Qns. We took the 2 Qns which was on the second floor. The room was decorated beautifully in blues and greens, the bathroom was a nice yellow with granite shower. The sink was outside the bathroom, which was a bit small of an area to get ready. but that is my only complaint. We slept every night with the sliding doors open to hear the waves crashing on the rocks and wall. There's their restaurant right behind our bldg. You can get ur breakfast to go and eat on the beach. Our friends ended up booking a room last minute too and they stayed in the main bldg the LedgeView, Their room was more spacious, but dated. Old pine beds and the dark paneling walls. But I felt that was even worth what they paid. The High tide comes in late morning. Check the front desk. What we did was get on the beach at 8amish...and when the tide came up to our chairs we moved them back only once. The next time the tide came up to our chairs was around noon and we just packed it in, got dressed, went shopping or to Ogunquit to walk the Marginal Walkway. Then came back around 3 and went back on the beach. The tide will come in up to the wall. There will be NO beach left. But I was ok with that. Not a big sun worshiper anyway. There are so many restaurants to have a good decent meal at. OMG....I think I gained 10lbs that weekend. We watched Kennebunkport's fireworks from our hotel. It was just a great relaxing vacation for our family and I would definately go back! The area it's self is beautiful too.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank IRISHGIRL767
There are newer reviews for Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort

Reviewed July 13, 2008

We have been staying at this property for well over 5 years. We go every August for a week (sometimes we even sneak in a weekend in April or May too : )). The location is prime for early morning walks on the beach and watching the tides go in and out. It is the perfect place for a family gathering. The staff is always wonderful and the rooms are always clean.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2007

I've stayed at this establishment twice now. I enjoyed my stay both times and I'll probably come back again because of the prime beachfront location. If you can get an oceanfront room, go for it! It is worth the extra money to have the view and feeling of peace, even when the beach is crowded. The ocean can be very soothing.

My latest stay with my fiance was for 4 days in a beachfront room in the recently renovated motor lodge. New paint, nice, "granite finished" bathroom, large flat panel TV, AWESOME king-sized bed with many sheets and pillows (what a relaxing bed to be on!). Oh yeah, a reclining massage chair too. You sit our on the concrete deck and have a beverage, play some cards, and just relax. Simply wonderful. This experience will run you around $250 a night during peak season, so you are in fact paying for all this, but I do think it is worth it to splurge here.

All this positive, so why only 4 of 5 and not 5 of 5? Because the service here is only so-so, and the atmosphere is a little more stuffy and carnival like than a 5 of 5 type of place. You are right on a public beach with VERY limited parking. You'll have your own parking and parking pass, but that is a "there should be a spot somewhere, right?" sort of adventure. The front desk and cleaning staff are what I'd call, "just courteous enough". This place has long waiting lists and loyal clients, which may explain the courtesy-level to some degree. In addition to the nice rooms and location, there is an indoor pool and hottub too. Here is an example of what I'd call "just courteous enough" service:

My last reservation -- though our stay turned out fine -- was messed up and did not match what we had written and printed from the resort. They put us in a different building than we requested. This was a big deal (my fiance was very upset) because friends we were with were in a separate building than us. This is something we were very, VERY careful to specify when reserving the rooms. So, we did get a verbal apology (which was expected) but basically the story line was "tough, make the best of it". And yes we did make the best of it but this is NOT top notch service -- this is "just courteous enough" service. And the parking situation is really annoying thing you deal with -- it is a side effect of the location.

The location and room amenities means I'll probably be back here in years following, especially when the taste for lobster sweeps over my finance and me. Maine does it best!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank valor155
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We stayed at the LaFayette over Labor day weekend and would stay again, here's why; It's clean, it's in a great location, and it's reasonably priced. We could walk right out to the beach from our room. Fantastic. The staff was also very nice. Now, if you're looking for modern luxuries this is not the place to stay. Based on the paneling, carpeting and lighting, our room looked like it hadn't been remodeled since 1978. But we didn't care because we went to Wells to hit the beaches, bars and restaurants and have a fun weekend, not hang around in our room. We also walked over to Billy's Clam Shack just up Mile Road to watch the Red Sox game. they've got a nice bar with lots of TVs and the bartenders mixed us some great margaritas. The food there looked great and in hindsight I wish that we had eaten there instead of the totally over-rated and mediocre Maine Diner. The LaFayette also gives you free parking and I noticed that they have a laundry room, although we didn't need to use it. We recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fandango1
Reviewed September 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed one week in mid-late August in one of the renovated Wells Beach Motor Inn at $250.00 per night. I little pricey, but in the end, worth it. (We are 46 year old first time newlyweds, and this was essentially our 6-month-delayed honeymoon). Lovely room. Impeccable housekeeping. Second floor room with a balcony directly overlooking the beach. We slept with the balcony door open every night and fell asleep to the sound of the waves. The hot tub is terrific, with a waterfall that massages your back. (Not surprisingly, it was quite crowded in mid-Aug.) We very much enjoyed our stay, and I gave the property an "excellent", but I give the following caveats....
1. We had a no smoking room, and like a previous (unhappy) reviewer, the guest next to ours was smoking on his balcony. I now empathize with previous unhappy reviewer. The balconies are lovely, but you should be aware there is about six feet of space separating your balcony from your neighbors, with no privacy dividers at all. We were inside our room with our balcony door open, and the sea breeze blew our neighbor's cigarette smoke directly into our room. I thought dismally "I am paying $250 a night for an oceanfront room, and I have to keep my balcony door shut for an entire week!" My husband made a sincere, polite phone call to the front desk. Unlike the other unfortunate fellow, in our case, immediately after our phone call to the front desk, we heard the telephone ring next door. I don't know what was said, but the smoking on the balcony stopped. It's a good thing we called, because the neighbor was our neighbor for the entire week. We were very grateful to be able to open our balcony door for the rest of the week. That the front desk staff took care of this awkward situation, and saved our vacation, is one reason I marked the hotel as "excellent".
2. Be aware that you do have to pay attention to the tide charts (which are available in the front office). The ocean does come right up to the sea wall at high tide, and the beach in front of the hotel is not accessible for about 2 hours, twice a day. If high tide comes at a bad time (e.g. 1:00 p.m.), that sorta inconveniently breaks up your day. In our case, most of the week high tide was convenient, like 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. If this is important to you, perhaps you can check the tide charts in advance. There is a web site - google "tide charts wells ME". Be aware that the tide is very "wide", and at low tide, the seawall to the tideline is at least 1/8 of a mile, if not wider. Plenty of real estate.
3. The balconies are lovely (especially at breakfast), but, as stated before, the balconies on the second floor are six feet apart, with no privacy dividers. On the first floor, there is no division at all. There is a concrete area outside your balcony that is shared communally with the five rooms in that area. You will become pleasant acquaintances with your neighbors sitting a few feet away, or be prepared for some awkward silences.
4. Most peculiar - there are no coffee makers in the Wells Beach Motor Inn. (Not sure about the other buildings). We called the front desk, and they said the following. "We purchased the property from the Forbes Restaurant (the restaurant/clam shack/ice cream shop next door). One stipulation in the purchase contract is that we can't put coffee makers in the rooms, and we can't even have any available at the front desk if asked." Because we were there all week, it was worthwhile to drive down the street a mile to the Reny's (a general store) and buy a coffeemaker, and to the Hannaford grocery store for some coffee. If you are like me and want coffee in your room in the morning before getting dressed, bring your own coffeemaker.
But in the end, we truly enjoyed the week. Would I go back? I would definitely go back for a few days. If I were to visit Wells for an entire week again, I think I would try harder to get a weekly rental, perhaps a bit farther down Atlantic Ave, where the beach is slightly wider, even at high tide.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brigit-Saule
Reviewed August 12, 2007

Stayed here begining of Aug. 2007...We had a wonderful time. Stayed in the Ledgeview building 3rd floor - had an awesome view of the ocean with a great little balcony. It didnt bother us at all that our building had the parking lot between us and the beach...it was nothing to walk through the parking lot to get to the beach. Plus the ledgeview building has the pool, hot tub, etc in it so it was nice to not have to go to another building to use the pool. The room decor was basically dated but basically clean and well appointed. There was a fridge and microwave in the room - so that was really nice. The lobby had a couple of computers for people who wanted to access the internet. They had a collection of most of the area restaurant's menu's in lobby so you could decide where to eat. Cleaning staff left us a bag of towels even though we left our do not disturb sign on the door which scored them bonus points in my book. There is a laundry area down near the lobby. There are some stores within walking distance(for necessities, snacks or gifts). We will definitiely go back some day!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2007

They are right on the ocean which is very nice. But...the staff was rude and grumpy. There are signs everywhere not to take motel stuff, I felt very aware of being accused. I realize they have parking problems,but they kick you out of your parking spot at 11AM when others are not due to check in until 2PM. Most hotels allow you to use the property pool and ammenities on the day of check out, but not his place. You also have to give up your pool pass at 11AM too.. At over $200 a night, you think they might extend this courtesy to use the pool for the day - especially since the pool doesn't open until 9am.

The older rooms really could use a make over. And...I truly have to agree with the review earler of non-smokers beware. There are many many smokers here, so even a non-smoking room really isn't so. WIth my allergies, my non-smoking room still bothered me.

Yes..on the beach. Swimable?? Well, sort of. At high tide, there is NO beach at all, the water goes up to the wall. At low tide..there is a wet beach..lots of rocks in the water. You could find a better beach for sure. But..the view is always nice if you are not a swimmer.

Would I go back?? Probably not....unless they get new staff who didn't make you feel guilty all the time.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank frederick75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wells
Hampton Inn & Suites Wells-Ogunquit
Elmwood Resort Hotel
Elmwood Resort Hotel
#5 of 28 in Wells
Footbridge North Hotel

Been to Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!