“WISH THIS COULD HAVE BEEN AN EXCELLENT RATING”
Review of Mike's Clam Shack

Mike's Clam Shack
Ranked #10 of 71 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol, Rhode Island
“WISH THIS COULD HAVE BEEN AN EXCELLENT RATING”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have been to Mike's Clam Shack several times as we make several trips a year between RI and ME and always look forward to a stop here. Our meals have always been delicious. We travel with family members so we do have the opinion of at least 4 people per visit. I admit our choice is usually fried (clams and fish); yes, an indulgence, but it's a "treat" for us.
On this visit, we soooooooo looked forward to a lobster roll and this is where they fell flat on their face. It was a skimpy serving of lobster so skimpy that we could see the roll on the INSIDE. Especially that lobster prices (at markets) were so low we thought it would be a very generous serving, but it was pitifully small. It will be a long time before we consider going back--too bad.

• Visited August 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It's always good at Mikes! The steaks are very good as is the lobster. Friendly and cozy. Would go back again. Plenty of parking. Gets crowded.

Visited August 2013
Brighton, Michigan
“Local eats”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The restaurant is nothing fancy but it's a must stop for the clam chowder. We brought 2 cases back to Michigan with us. We had lunch one day at the outside walkup and the next day lunch inside. Lobster was good at a reasonable price. It's hard to get a bad one when they are fresh. The staff was attentive and friendly even though it was busy. The thing that separates this place from the crowd is definitely the clam chowder. MMMM MMMM good !!

• Visited August 2013
Rotterdam, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This Lobster missed the boat!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to Mike's Clam shack on the recommendation of some friends. They said it was where all the locals eat. I ordered the lobster roll and my husband got chowder. The lobster roll was just that -- lobster meat in a roll. No mayo, celery, onion, or seasonings. Just pieces of lobster meat in a pretty small frankfurter roll. There were a decent size portion of french fries which were nothing special either. No cole slaw, pickles, etc., accompanied the meal. I had a much better lobster roll in Kittery at the Weathervane. Since we were only in Maine for a few days I was disappointed that I spent one of my evenings at a not so great restaurant. When the waiter asked how my meal was I told him honestly, "It's nothing special." I could tell he wasn't happy with my response and promptly left. I certainly won't be recommending Mike's to my friends.

Visited August 2013
Wells, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mike's”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

9/2/2013
Just got back from dinner at Mike's. We've been going there for many years. We first found The Clam Shack when it was south on rte1 where the Clam Shanty is now, We have always loved the food and the friendly service in both locations and have returned time and time again, Tonight however, was our first bad experience and I hope it was just an " off night". I ordered baked stuffed haddock with "Shack potato", the potato was described as potato with bits of onion, peppers, sour cream. I received a side dish of mushy cubes of potato with nothing in it. Very bland with no flavor and not appetizing at all. The stuffing on the haddock was a splotch of wet bread stuff plopped in the middle of a casserole with the haddock floating in moisture. So disappointing and not at all like I've had there many times before. Couldn't eat it in spite of asking for tartar sauce (after finally standing up and getting the attention of the overworked waitress). I think they are trying to feed so many people now, that the quality of the food has suffered. This restaraunt is always very very crowded and popular. So sorry to have to post this honest evaluation.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Judy R

Been to Mike's Clam Shack? Share your experiences!