“The best Italian from here to the North End ”

Varano's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have been vacationing in Wells for a decade and have never been to varanos. So, we decided to give it a try. From the moment we walked in, to the moment we left, we felt like part of a family. We were greeted by an older man who we assumed was the owner. We sat by the fire place, and our server suggested a great Italian red to drink. I got the Marsala, and my husband got the steak. It was spectacular. Our server was great, and very personable. She told us about the rewards program, and we signed up! There is no way we won't be back! A++

There are newer reviews for Varano's Italian Restaurant

Reviewed May 12, 2014

This has to one of the best Italian restaurants i ever had been to. The service was great. The food was the best i ever had. My wife and i will be back as much as we can.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Love Italian food, both here and in Italy. Have not ever been disappointed by the authenticity of Varano's food. Absolutely fresh seafood, with on-target seasoning of sauces. The fresh bread with fresh chopped garlic in good olive oil for dipping--perfect way to begin a meal. Just a few hundred yards from the ocean, so stop to breathe the salt air before going in.
I visited for the 3rd or 4th time in May 2014 with 6 other women (we were at a conference nearby). One of our party left her headlights on by mistake. The wait staff found us and alerted us, but it was too late. Dead battery. One of the owners walked out with us, jumper cables in hand, and connected my car to my colleague's and got us on our way. That's service above and beyond!
My only complaint about the restaurant is the noise level. For a large party at a big round table, it was a bit distracting to hear so much background noise as we tried to talk.
The margarita I ordered in honor of Cinco de Maio was rather weak, but maybe they did that on purpose recognizing us as somewhat older ladies, not the Cinco de Maio party crowd.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Our waitress Mandie directed us in good choices for our meals, wine and desserts. With her help we enjoyed our evening of dinning and We relaxed and enjoyed our evening.

Thank Larry and Karen... M
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We went to Varano's last month for the first time, being Sicilian myself I tend to be a bit hesitant dining at an Italian restaurant when outside a major metropolitan area. We had Brian as our waiter and he had recommended some dishes to us based on our likes especially if you like veal. Well he was spot on with his recommendations and Varano's cannoli's for desert are to die for!. Last night was our third visit in six weeks and we will be DEFINITELY dining there next month when we staying in Wells Maine.

1  Thank Joseph T