“Great Experience at Varanos”

Varano's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 71 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
New York
“Great Experience at Varanos”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our party of 5 unanimously had a great meal at Varanos. The quality of the dishes is first rate, the service is very good and friendly, the portions are large and the price is very reasonable. The portions are so large that when one of our party saw the dishes when we walked in, he thought it was family style dining. The only down side is that the decor is dark, needing a little update with brighter surroundings. This however did not detract from the great experience.

Holliston, Massachusetts
“Delicious Italian food.”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We make it a point to eat at Varano's when we visit Maine. We are not usually disappointed.

The homemade bread and seasoned olive oil is hard to resist.

Everything has been fresh and delicious. The sauce is very tasty. Every now and then there will be something a bit under seasoned but overall we have enjoyed our dinner here.

North Chelmsford, Massachusetts
“Fabulous Italian at the beach!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We went to Varano's on a recommendation of a friend and we were so glad we did! We were a party of five and everyone of us loved our meals. For a Saturday night on 4th of July weekend we expected a wait, the hostess said and hour so we went downstairs to the bar. We ordered drinks and before we had even paid they called our name. The Bartender Charlie was so friendly we decided to stay and eat at the bar. The bread was excellent with a crunchy crust on the outside and soft inside and went perfect with the dipping oil.
We each had a different entree from Chicken Parm to Veal Braccioletini. My favorite was the eggplant. It was perfect with a great marinara sauce and el dente pasta.
Very generous portions and worth every penny!
Highly recommend it if you are looking for authentic Italian cuisine!! Can't wait to go back!

Glastonbury, CT
“Can be pricey”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We went to Varona's to celebrate my husband's birthday. That means we had a "birthday" coupon worth $15.00- buy 1 meal and get a free meal worth up to $15.00 or get $15.00 off the 2nd dinner if it's more than $15.00.

Another plus was that It was a Sunday evening in early June, it was not very busy and we had no wait.

The first encounter with the wait staff was the waiter pushing the "wine of the evening". We passed, as we usually do, as we are not big wine drinkers. The waiter stumbled over the specials for that evening. But, after finally getting through those, he admitted it was his first night, which explained the young lady who seemd to be ‘shadowing’ him that evening. He really was quite nice and I could see his nervousness.

After you order your meal they serve a fresh bread with a flavored olive oil. I enjoyed it but was not a fan of the hot red pepper flakes that made their way onto my bread periodically. They only served 2 small slices of warm Italian bread per person. I assume we could have asked for more, but we passed.

My husband ordered the Merluzzo Alla Vodka which was fresh broiled haddock with a Maine vine-ripe tomato & basil salad, balsamic glaze and basil oil served over garlic mashed potatoes for $21.95. He enjoyed his meal immensely.

As I always do when I come here, I ordered the Veal Parmigiana with Marinara sauce and Mozzarella Cheese. It’s price was $23.95. I asked that my penne pasta be cooked a bit better than el dente and they did honor that request, probably reluctantly.

I did not enjoy my meal as much as I have in the past. I am not a big fan of basil and I felt that this time the breading on the veal was quite overloaded with basil. It was a big disappointment as this was never an issue before. So, I ended up scraping the breading off my veal.

Both meals were served on what I would consider serving platters rather than plates. So, there was certainly plenty of food. My husband ended up eating his meal along with 1/3 of my veal as I could not finish it. I simply left a portion of the pasta.

One other thing that bothered me was that a salad was not included in our meal. And, given the prices, a small salad would have been nice.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank JennyR_9
Massachusetts, United States
“Nobody does it better!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Varanos in Wells Maine is a wonderful dining experience. Huge portions of yummy food and the wait staff is great as is the owner/manager Roger and his wife. Love the place, go every chance we get and seriously consider splitting a meal and each getting a salad or you are guaranteed to leave with leftovers. The home-baked bread with oil/garlic/pepper starts the meal just right!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Evilee E

Been to Varano's Italian Restaurant? Share your experiences!