“The only place I will order steak”
Review of The Steakhouse

The Steakhouse
Ranked #5 of 71 Restaurants in Wells
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I am not a huge fan of ordering steak at a restaurant because I can be easily turned off from a piece of steak by chewy fat, gristle, it being too underdone or too overdone. I never have that issue here and I think it is literally the only place I really ever order steak. It's always cooked perfectly and delicious. The flavor is so good you don't really NEED the garlic blue cheese butter they give you, but go for it anyway because it is incredible.

As good as the steak is the baked beans may be even better. They are sweet and savory at the same time and there is practically as much meat (beef?) in them as beans. Amazing.

Servers are always super friendly and accurate. They also have to lug huge platters with tons of food up and down those stairs!

Yeah you'll have to wait but it's totally worth it.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My family visits Wells just about every year and have eaten at The Steakhouse many times. The food and service are always very good and as others say in their reviews, a wait is expected. It seems this year that, even more than in the past, this restaurant has "success syndrome" -- meaning that they perceive themselves to be SO wonderfully successful that the management doesn't give one iota about customer satisfaction (which is a very bad thing leading to eventual downward trends). We were a larger party who arrived soon after opening mid-week. The hostess said about 45 minutes. We waited over an hour and a half. The excuse of "we're doing the best we can" fell flat because obviously they didn't care as they continued seating other large parties before us. When talking to the manager after dinner to address our concerns (and she was also at the hostess stand during the evening) she offered no apologies for their blatant rudeness overall at the start of our dining experience. I cannot comment enough on how negative this manager made our visit overall (both at the beginning and the very end). No excuse for the management attitude that customers are a dime a dozen.

8  Thank Sophie J
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Whether you want a nice steak or a broiled seafood dish, the steakhouse is the best place to eat in Wells.. At least in my opinion! Everything is fabulous from the bread they serve you, to the amazing soups and of course the lobster stew, and then the mouth watering entrees you cannot go wrong here! I had the stew and baby back ribs.. To die for! I could not believe the portions, enough that I had leftover for lunch the next day. Get here early as there is ALWAYS a wait. But this is just showing how amazing it is.. Very much worth the hour plus if waiting and many places both inside and out to wait. We will be back, and hopefully often!

1  Thank ATreview217
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here several times and have never had a bad meal. While noisy and always crowded, the food is worth the wait as it doesn't disappoint. And wait u will. Even getting there before 5:00pm, we waited an hour for a table...but we don't mind. It's worth it

1  Thank Winstonjones
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We have eaten here many times over the past 15+ years. Food is excellent. Steaks are cooked perfectly, prices reasonable. They do not take reservations so be prepared to wait an hour. You can put in your name and sit in the bar area, or just come back in a reasonable amount of time.
There is a reason it is such a long wait... the food has been consistently great for all these years.
Park in the auto museum lot, before the restaurant and walk next door. Parking is a problem with so many people waiting. Restaurant is located on Rt. 1, north. It is closed on Mondays.