“Things that go bump in the night”
Review of Ne'r Beach Motel

Ne'r Beach Motel
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Wells
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Typical motel room - everything clean and tidy except for a large wad of hair in the bathtub. Very hard beds and flat pillows. The usual two bath towels even though most of us women need an extra one for our hair. The big problem? Paper thin walls and the noisiest neighbors ever. My husband and I could not sleep and were entertaining ourselves at midnight with various ideas as to what they were doing. Practicing landing backflips? Drunken kung fu moves? At one point it sounded as though someone were bouncing a ball on the floor above. Interestingly, this motel has no second floor. A candidate for America's most haunted?

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drfaith
There are newer reviews for Ne'r Beach Motel

Reviewed October 18, 2010

We just recently returned from another wonderful trip to the Wells area. We intended on spending four days but we stretched it into twelve and then I came home for a week or so and then we went back up for a four day weekend. Wells is an amazing area but what makes it that much better for me is the Ne'r Beach Motel. I've now stayed there four times and I love it more with evey visit. How strange it must sound to say I miss a motel but I actually do. It's warm and friendlyand most of all....clean. I love the knotty-pine in my room. I love the spotless landscaped grounds. I love the heated pool and lounge chairs. I love all the little cozy spots to sit and read. I love the barbeque area that has everything you could possibly need ready and waiting for you. I love the housekeeping staff who will happily bring you extra towels, pillows or blankets, whatever you need with a smile. But most of all I love the owners, Nancy and Mike O'Brien, who are the warmest, friendliest motel owners I have ever met. I have been visiting the Wells area for over twenty years but the last three have been the best because of the Ne'r Beach Motel. I guess I really should be saying some negative things to keep people away from my favorite spot to assure an opening for me but what can I say, I love the Ne'r Beach .....and I know you will too.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank bobbilynn11
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We stayed at the Ne'r Beach Motel for four nights after a disasterous cottage rental. In an attempt to salvage our vacation we chose Ne'r Beach based on their website. We were not disappointed!

The motel grounds are in excellent condition with cute gardens, bbq area with pots for cooking lobster and all the equipment you need for bbqing, shuffle board, basketball, and of course their super clean outdoor heated pool! The atmosphere is very relaxing and very family friendly. This is not the place to go raise hell!!

The rooms were typical New England mom and pop - roadside motel. Clean and comfortable and not 2010 cookie cutter corporate. Things are up to date to about 1990's or so. Each room has coffee maker with New England Coffee, fridge, and microwave. Rooms are all types and sizes from queens to kitchenettes. We had a room with one queen and one twin and then moved to a kitchenette with a queen bedroom, sofa, dining table, twin bed, and screened porch. Both rooms had clean, average sized baths w/tubs and showers. Towels were fluffy and water pressure was great.

Staff as well as guest were friendly and everyone was relaxed. Location is close to all attractions and beaches. Rte 1 noise was hardly heard. Bike to beach down Furbush Rd is approx 10 mins. Walk is longer and public access can be hard to find. Its very easy to drive down Furbush and take either a right or left to find parking for area beaches off Webhannet. Motel is close to great restaurants and next door is a great breakfast/lunch place.

Ne'r Beach Motel is a gem! The pride of ownership shows throughout. I would take a great number of the negative comments posted as sour grapes by other Rte 1 motel owners over this establishment success. I would recommend to friends and we'll definately be back.

1  Thank Rumbledolly
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I stayed here this past weekend 7/30/10 - 8/01/10 with my husband and our dog. We stayed in room 29. The room was clean but slightly dated. The threshold to the room was rotted and was in serious need of some TLC. The bed was hard as a rock, not comfortable at all. The AC could use replacing as it didn't quite blow cold air anymore.

The motel grounds were spotless and well maintained. The picnic area was nicely designed, there's shuffleboard, a great pool & a basketball net for the kids. For travelers with dogs, they have a nice fenced in dog area.

The location is good, it's close to everything being that it's on Route 1. I wouldn't say Moody Beach is a short walk from the motel although that's how it was put to us when we checked in. The beach is close, just not something I'd be walking to w/ chairs, coolers, towels etc.

Given the price of the room and comparable to other hotels/motels in this area, the room was priced accordingly. I don't know that we will hurry back to the Wells area but if we did, we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2010

The facilities are beautiful and well-kept. The pool area is very clean and comfortable and the grounds are restful and relaxing. The room where we stayed was very clean and comfortable but the bathroom is in need of updating. The pet-friendly policy is where we had our problems. We were told pets were allowed and paid our extra fee to bring our small schnauzer. But we were not advised until we arrived that he could not be left in the room at all even though we had a crate for him. We were severely restricted on our vacation as a result of that lack of knowledge.

We were advised of a local dog daycare place and also introduced to an employee that "dog sat" one evening for us. The owners did try to accommodate us the best they could but we would have appreciated the policy guidelines in advance. We would return without our pet in the future, though.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My family and I just returned from a 3 day weekend in Wells, Maine. After reading the reviews I was quite aprehensive after making the reservations (2 rooms). We decided to stay at Ne'r Beach motel because they are a pet friendly motel and the price was right. Nancy O'Brien was extremely friendly and helpful is as far as recommending places to eat. The rooms were clean and the grounds were impecable. We had no problems with room service who came everyday and provided fresh towels (plenty). My kids enjoyed the heated pool and as stated in the website the motel is a short walk to the beach. We rented a standard motel room and a 2 bedroom efficency. The barbeque area is very well equiped with all the utensils you might need including table clothes for the picnic tables. We were extremely comfortable, close to everything and look forward to returning in the near future!! I would highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Well, here we are back from another great vacation in Wells Beach and a terrific stay at Ne'r Beach Motel, 2nd year in a row. I've been vacationing In the Wells area for over twenty years and have stayed in many nice motels but none I've liked better. We checked in Sept 7th into room #3 (the room was ready and spotless) and we were to stay a week but it was just to soon to leave so we didn't actually go till the 18th. The room was great, we had an efficiency, clean and everything we needed. Water pressure fantastic, AC worked great, cable, heated pool with comfy lounge chairs all around, outside cooking area with gas grills, lobster pots and everything you could need at the ready. It might not be the motel with the most updated modern decor but I much prefer the warm and cozy look of the knotty-pine there. Feels more like Maine to me. Everything about the Ne'r Beach Motel is warm and comfortable, it feels like home. I still can't understand some of the reviews I've read here, at least not the negative ones. Nancy couldn't have been more friendly. The first day I thought I had lost a credit card and she not only went out of her way to help us find it, but she said she wanted to help us out financially so our trip wouldn't be ruined. She was always warm and helpful, her husband Mike too, he's always working at something around the motel. It was the same last year too so I'm glad I didn't listen to the "bad" reviews.The location is great, not right in the middle of everything but close enough to wherever you want to go. The grounds are immaculate and tasteful. The housekeeping staff is quick to help and honest too which I found out because I left a ring, of some value, in the room accidentally and was glad to find it still there when I returned. They also accept pets if you make arrangements, which I hope to enjoy next trip. So happy vacationing and if you want a safe, clean motel in a great location with warm friendly people then you might want to give Ne'r Beach a try and if you do, please tell Nancy.... Barb & Sherri said hi......I can't wait to get back again myself so I don't think I can wait a whole year, it's such a beautiful area. Barb B., Westbrookville NY

• Stayed: September 2009