“"Heaven" by the Sea!!!”

Haven By The Sea B&B Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Wells B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was frantically searching for a room by the coast in early August for our anniversary and I thankfully found Haven by the Sea with an available room for 2 nights. Being that I was doing this days before we wanted to leave, on a beautiful weekend in the middle of the summer and this B&B is a renovated church, I'd call it devine intervention!!! DID WE EVER SCORE!! This place is GORGEOUS!! John met us when we pulled up and insisted on carrying our bags to our room. It was like we had arrived at a friends house and had known him for years. He gave us a tour and made us feel right at home. The B&B is absolutely beautiful and John and Susan go out of their way to make sure your stay is comfortable and relaxing. It's classically elegant without being stuffy. Susan is an outstanding cook and John is very entertaining with his quick wit and wonderful sense of humor. He brought all the guests together by including everyone in conversation. His martini's are to die for!!! The bar, "Temptations", is the old confessional and John serves his "sinful" concoctions in beautiful glasses. He also made us reservations at a local restaurant that we weren't able to get into. The beach was a 2 minute walk up the street!! I can't say enough about how wonderful this place is!! We're going back up to stay next month and we can't wait!! If you're a lover of the Maine coast and are looking for a really nice place to stay, PLEASE do yourself a favor and make a reservation. I guarantee you won't be sorry. It truly is "heaven" by the sea!!!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I found this inn by chance, seeing a small sign as I drove in through Wells and called. With luck, there was only one room available. From the moment I walked in, I knew there was something about this place that was special. Susan (the owner) greeted me and showed me to my room and I was just in time for drinks and snacks. I met a varied group of wonderful people, and we talked about a varied group of things - I laughed so hard! John (the other owner) made me laugh so hard I felt a million miles away! They recommended fabulous restaurants and ensured all details (reservations, directions, etc) were in place. On day two, they made a gourmet breakfast and I was off to enjoy the gorgeous sights in the surrounding towns. In the afternoon, I went to the beach, which is steps away. The sea was picturesque (just ask my family, who I sent over 30 pictures to!!) I had an amazing dinner in Kennebunkport and returned to the beautiful inn to read a book in one of the rocking chairs with a few sips of port! I was there only two nights, but the two nights will not be forgotten. The haven by the sea has a sense of peacefulness that cannot be duplicated. I will absolutely be returning. If you are seeking a true oasis, a true gem, a true second home where you can laugh, relax, enjoy, breathe, and re-energize, this is the place for you. You will leave feeling 100 times better than you arrived. I highly recommend this place and will return!! Thanks Susan and John!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had the distinct pleasure of a one-night stay at Haven by the Sea a few nights ago, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, to the point that we wished it could have been longer. The name of the inn is both well-chosen and well-deserved. It is superbly located...a 2-minute walk to the beach (yet very private, quiet and secure), and about a 20-minute drive from the shops and restaurants of Kennebunkport. In addition, the property (a former church) has been superbly converted and renovated to accommodate a number of comfortable and quiet B & B units, as well as some beautifully-finished common areas. Our breakfast on the back deck (thank you, Susan!) overlooking the nearby tidal marshes was superb...and another highlight of our stay was the host, John -- very welcoming and helpful, with a quick sense of humour and a twinkle in his eye...clearly he enjoys his hosting role immensely. Not surprisingly, he is very knowledgeable about the local area, and provided a very good recommendation for our dinner in Kennebunkport -- he even made the reservation for us. In summary, this place is just a great spot...we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends and family, and will certainly do so.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

An excellent place to stay and relax. John and Susan are wonderful host who go out of their way to make sure your stay is comfortable and relaxing. The rooms are well appointed and each one offers a different style of decorating. Susans breakfast offerings are always cooked to perfection and John's sense of humor makes the meal fly by. Highly recommended you stay here when you visit Maine.

Room Tip: Visit theie web site and look at each room and selet the one that fits your perosnality. the next vi...
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This inn is a wonderfully creative use of an old church building! It is lovely. We found it very clean, steps to the ocean, and very comfortable. The breakfasts were yummy, and the views are beautiful.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have been making our way down the coast and stayed at the Lord Camden Inn, Harraseeket Inn and the Hilton Garden Inn in Portland before arriving at the Haven By The Sea. None of the other hotels even come close to the service and accommodations here. John & Susan are welcoming and friendly. Susan's breakfasts are delicious and the reason we didn't eat lunch while in Wells. The beach is about a 2 minute walk and has nice benches to sit on if you do nit want to walk on the beach. Our room was spotless and comfortable. We had been concerned if Wells was a good choice, but when we come back to Maine, we would not consider staying in one of the other towns. It was a short drive to either Kennebunkport or Ogunquit and also an easy drive to the outlets in either Freeport or Kittery. But the Haven is located on a side street, so we did not have the hassle of parking or driving through ugly traffic to get back when we were hot & tired. And if you can get a room here, by all means, grab it. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at Haven By The Sea, and all I can say is do not hesitate to go. From the moment we entered this former church converted into a bed and breakfast, until the time we departed, everything was excellent. The owners, John and Susan are two of the nicest, warm, and welcoming people you could ever hope to meet. The place itself is charming and immaculately clean. The breakfast is fantastic and the happy hour on the outside deck is a great place to enjoy the view and meet some very nice people. We already are looking forward to when we can visit again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wells
Wells - Ogunquit Resort Motel & Cottages
#12 of 36 in Ogunquit
Ogunquit River Inn
Ogunquit River Inn
#6 of 29 in Wells

Been to Haven By The Sea B&B Inn? Share your experiences!