“Better places in wells”
Review of The Boon Island Ale House - CLOSED

The Boon Island Ale House
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Casual, Comfortably Elegant Chef Inspired Restaurant with a Nautical flare.
“Better places in wells”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My wife and I have vacationed in this part of Maine for years and we are always trying new places for dinner. We read good things about Boon Island Ale and thought we would give it a try. The place doesn't look like must until you go in. The decor is upscale at the staff is very helpful. This is where it gets a little worse the food and wait staff. First our waiterss was new or just not good. She never informed of of the specials and it took us asking twice to get water. She then showed us out bill and then ran our card and came back with a different amount. (higher). She was very slow to serve and clear. The food was just ok . I had pork and my wife had the lobster risotto that had very little risotto and lots of bread crumbs I had pork shank that was tasty but over cook and hard. true the owner or manager walks around but never came to our table or we would have let him know.

Los Angeles, California
“Shhh-wells best kept secret”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Absolutely the best service-beyond friendly-phil makes you feel like one of the family. Michelle was the sweetest and perfect company our young daughter. And the burgers-had the one with lobster- cooked perfectly!!!! The value is incredible and best overall for family friendly, food and service in Wells and can compete w/the best of them!

1 Thank BotRoad
Syracuse, NY
“Best Place Ever for Kids”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

When we walked in thought it was fancy. Wasn't sure how the kids would do. The gentlemen who I assume was the owner was talking with us. Gave great recommendations for food. Gave my daughter a book for the table and then asked if she could play with play-do. You don't find that even in a family restaurant. Very friendly and great food. Would go back again.

3 Thank cpanda22n
Boston, Massachusetts
“Friendly service and great burgers”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Dined here with my family recently and alone with my husband when it first opened. Both visits, the food was great. The burgers were delicious - and huge! They had so many creative bruger choices. My daughter loved her burger with the grilled avocado. The sweet potato fries were the best I have ever had. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive. Everyone checked on us to make sure we were happy and had everything we needed. Nice, relaxed atmosphere. Very welcoming to children - but a not a crazy, loud place at all. Would highly recommend it.

1 Thank travel43_11
Massachusetts
“This isn't your average pub food...”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Boone Island Ales in Wells ME - what a pleasant surprise. I went expecting your average pub food - you know the drill: burgers, sandwiches, chili, chowder, etc. Although some of those items do exist on the menu, this place goes way above and beyond the usual for pubs. First, yes - there are some great beers and ales on draft. The Shipyard Blue Fin Stout and Switchback (I can't recall the brewer) were both very good. For dinner I had an amazing tuna steak - a special that night. This was fresh caught, sashimi grade tuna seared and seasoned (lightly) to perfection. It was served with a soy ginger sauce on the side for drizzling or dipping. Absolutely delicious. I had some choices for the sides, but I ended up with homemade mashed potatoes, an incredible side salad and seaweed salad. My first time trying seaweed salad - and the way Boone Island Ales prepares it, I'll be trying it again. The side salad is an event unto itself. It starts with the usual mixed greens, but add some walnuts, blue cheese chunks, dried blueberries, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts and top it was a great balsamic and you have one awesome salad. My wife went a bit more on the lighter side, ordering a cup of clam chowder. This was a top notch chowder, not too thick, not too thin and with plenty of very tender chopped clams and the right amount of potato. She followed that with a very tasty caesar salad - very fresh. She also tried some of my tuna and immediately asked the owner if they were having it again the next night. Bottom line tab before tip: $48, a very good value. On a previous visit I tried the diver scallops with a spicy maple glaze - one of the best scallop dishes I've had in some time. Again, not your average pub food. All this great food was served up by the friendly staff. Many family members work at the pub and you can tell they care and take pride in the food and service. We will be back as soon as we're back in southern Maine for a visit!

2 Thank NewEnglandYourMyHome