“Almost missed this gem”

Wells Reserve at Laudholm
Ranked #3 of 25 things to do in Wells
More attraction details
Owner description: The Wells Reserve at Laudholm is an estuarine research reserve with its headquarters listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The site is open every day from 7 am to sunset, with miles of trails and dozens of educational programs for everyone from K to gray. The Wells Reserve is funded by a member-supported nonprofit, Laudholm Trust, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Visit our website for details on activities and keep in touch through all of our social channels. Find 27 other National Estuarine Research Reserves around the country, from Alaska to Florida, along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts, on the Great Lakes, and even Puerto Rico.
Reviewed August 30, 2012

After some hesitation at the prospect of mosquitos, we decided to visit both this property and Rachel Carson. The latter is a short but well-organized trail and a very nice place to visit. However, my husband and I, both hikers, really loved the Estuarine Reserve. The mosquitos were not particularly bad when we visited (late August) but we had bug spray on hand. I used it but my husband preferred not to and he only got a couple of bites after being there for several hours. The Reserve is very good hiking because it is crisscrossed with well-marked trails (good accurate maps are available) that stretch across an interesting diversity of habitats. One of the main trails leads to the barrier beach, which was beautiful and deserted except for a few fellow walkers. Other trails led to the estuarine areas, forests, pastureland, and orchards. We were there for several hours and had a picnic lunch there. There are bathrooms and sinks, so it's reasonably well appointed for a hiking site. Not that everyone there was hiking, but the walks were clearly the best part of the reserve. Will go back if we are in the area again. Would love to see it in another season. Highly recommend.

2  Thank GreentreeMA
There are newer reviews for Wells Reserve at Laudholm

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Absolutely loved this peaceful place. We stopped there for the bird banding, and learned a lot. They have wonderful educational expositions and trails.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Came here in late August. The trails are well marked and maintained. The beach is lovely but... they should warn you about the mosquitoes and no-see-ums. I've been to some pretty bad places mosquito-wise (like camping in a dense forest at night) but this is the worse place I have ever encountererd.
We started walking a trail and within minutes we were attacked all over by super aggressive mosquitoes. I had five or six sucking on my neck and each calf as I literally ran back to the car for the Ben's 100% DEET. I slathered on the DEET and set out again. This time they did not bite me where I had applied the 100% DEET but they found other places to attack - like through my shirt and still buzzed and hovered around our heads. I ended up with 20+ mosquito bites itching and burning like crazy and thinking about West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis. I easily killed 20-30 on me and my wife. This was not dusk, but at noon on a fairly breezy day. They really should warn people with a big sign and re-name the place "Wells Mosquito-Infested Swamp Reservation" or Walter Reed Mosquito Testing Laboratory". I think it is actually pretty negligent that they don't.

7  Thank 8,943,543,058,430,843
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Was right next door to the Motel we stayed at -Tallwood - so we walked after coming back from lunch one day. Very scenic trails. Peaceful atmosphere. Very BUGGY!!! Beware!! Other than that was very nice.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We attended a wedding this past weekend at Laudholm Farm and it could not have been better. The service took place in the barn, followed by an outdoor cocktail reception up by the main house on the hill and then dinner was served in a tent next to the barn. After dinner, dancing moved inside the barn and it was fantastic - a great fllor for "cutting a rug." The staff worked diligently and courteously to handle all of the details. This is a most beautiful location and, I am told, a very interesting spot to visit in its normal funtion as a preserve.