“destoyed my wedding”

Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Waterville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 19, 2011

a local college booked every other hotel in the area, and now i know why. i was left with no other choice but to host my wedding reception here. i was promised 10 rooms on the same floor for my family, so my grandfathers care taker would be right there to help, as would my aunts and uncles. no only did this not happen everyone got food poisoning from eating at the hotel restaurant. when it came to the wedding, the food i paid for was disgusting i did not get my moneys worth for sure. the planner that worked for the hotel told me she would be in the room the entire time helping things go smoothly (this did not happen).
everything was rushed, and 4 tables of guests couldn't sit at their own table because of the intense heat from the windows i had asked to be taken care of 3 weeks before.
the engraved cake server set my mother in law gave me was destroyed by the wedding planner who used MY set to pry the top cake off the stand, and bent the knife and server. i had to send my wedding party off to hunt her down, and she was hiding in an office. i will NEVER stay with this chain again, and if i had done something sooner i would have insisted on a full refund
the tables were not set how i had asked, and my guests had to go over chairs to move around. and i didn't have too many people for the quoted guest allowance

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lauren r
kspaulding, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2011

Thank you so much for your feedback from your wedding reception that we hosted here in October of 2010! It was the unfortunate timing that Colby College's Parents Weekend was the same weekend and fills all the area hotels. I am sorry that you feel that we destroyed your wedding. I know that we were responsible for the cake server and our catering manager took great care in replacing it for you. In 12 months this is the first that we are hearing of any food poisoning from the restaurant. I truly wish that you had come to us after your reception as we could have dealt with all of these issues. We have since renovated that space that your reception was in. This corrects the problem that you faced with your setup. In fact, the entire hotel has been renovated. Again, thank you for your feedback and we do apologize about the cake knife. I know the replacement does not have the same sentimental value. We do strive to correct issues when we are made aware of them!

Reviewed September 26, 2011

Had a room booked for this past weekend and I was left sorely disappointed. At a 6:15 p.m. check-in, we were told we couldn't use a coupon because the hotel was almost completely full...there were no such restrictions on the coupon, but they refused to honor it. We got to our room and found that we had no hot water. I called the front desk and was told that it was "because a lot of people had checked in and were probably taking showers". As a side note...I understand you're under renovations, but upon booking my reservation, I asked if the renovations would interfere with our stay and I was told that my stay would not be affected. If the lack of adequate hot water in the hotel was truly the case, which is unacceptable, can you imagine what the morning shower rush would be like? We also had requested a room with 2 double beds and a roll-away. The room had 2 double beds and a folded roll-away...there wasn't even enough open floor space in the room to open the roll-away bed. We were given a response from the front desk of "We can move you to another room", which we declined. When leaving the hotel, we spoke with the manager on duty who didn't care at all that we were unhappy, leaving, or that there was no hot water. We were given a hard time about wanting to make sure there were no charges for the 15 minutes we spent at the hotel - it was as if we were asking for the impossible...and never did anyone apologize for the situation or offer an acceptable resolution. It was as if they were fully aware of the problem and letting guests check in without a care in the world for their stay or needs. We were lucky enough to be able to leave and go to another hotel in the area, who upgraded us to a suite after hearing what we had just dealt with...for less than the room at this hotel. It's too bad - we were very much looking forward to staying there. Shame on them for such horrible customer service. I hope with their new "brand" and hotel renovations, they make some much needed changes to their customer service policies and procedures. Travelers beware.

Room Tip: Rooms were small. We requested a room with 2 double beds and a roll-away. The roll-away was in the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Mandy F
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I called ahead when I saw (on theire website), that they were rennovating. We were promised a room away from the construction- which we were told was only being done on the exterioir of the building. After a long drive up, we checked in and hauled our bags to our room, only to find construction right there. Back to reception and to a new room. Big tiles were missing from the elevator floor, staircases sealed off with tape, and a smell of paint in the rooms. In our new room, the bathroom door wouldn't close properly, the knob just spun around, the shower knobs were leaking and not working properly. There was a piece of construction wood left under the bed and the power strip for laptops, etc. wasn't working. Then there was banging and driling in what sounded like the next room. Get the picture?
On the bright side...everyone was so friendly and helpful that I feel badly posting this review. The breakfast waitress was a peach and the food was tasty and quickly served. Ww forgot toothpaste and they gave us a small tube of Tom's with a smile.
So, wait until they're done with rennovations, then give them a try.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2011

we needed a place to meet, this hotel met and exceeded our expectations- pool, clean rooms, friendly staff. The restaurant food was good, after a full spread at the continental breakfast
Pool was excellent

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2011

They should remove the fact that they have wireless. I have stayed here dozens of times and wireless is not usable , it has very weak signal and it keeps dropping. I had to go to Tim Hawtons down the road to do work.

Construction has been going on for over a year and they still are charging full price as you step over construction material. At this rate the freedom tower will be finish first.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank travel4dummies
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My first stay the hotel was like a war zone, but they are almost finished with the upgrades. The room was attractive -- tastefully furnished and decorated -- quite comfortable. Staff were helpful and had good recomendations for local dining. There was a friendly pub room to get a nightcap and watch football. Clean, well kept pool and health facility. I certainly will stay again on my next trip to Waterville. Highly recommended. I come to Colby College on a frequent basis and have stayed at several hotels. This is the best hotel in town.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Has promise....once reservations finish. Reserved on Priceline (sorry, folks, NOT a 3 star hotel until renovations are finished), saw reviews here and called hotel to inquire. Was told renovations almost done, but not to worry, our room was in a finished section. Got to hotel, definitely not a finished room. Bed, bath, furnishings new, but carpet and windows a mess. I guess renovations have no end date because none of the hotel staff postings here put a target date on it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SEATraveller2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville
Hampton Inn Waterville
Senator Inn & Spa
Senator Inn & Spa
#5 of 9 in Augusta
Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta

Been to Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!