“Best Hotel In Waterville”

Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Waterville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My first stay the hotel was like a war zone, but they are almost finished with the upgrades. The room was attractive -- tastefully furnished and decorated -- quite comfortable. Staff were helpful and had good recomendations for local dining. There was a friendly pub room to get a nightcap and watch football. Clean, well kept pool and health facility. I certainly will stay again on my next trip to Waterville. Highly recommended. I come to Colby College on a frequent basis and have stayed at several hotels. This is the best hotel in town.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed September 6, 2011

Has promise....once reservations finish. Reserved on Priceline (sorry, folks, NOT a 3 star hotel until renovations are finished), saw reviews here and called hotel to inquire. Was told renovations almost done, but not to worry, our room was in a finished section. Got to hotel, definitely not a finished room. Bed, bath, furnishings new, but carpet and windows a mess. I guess renovations have no end date because none of the hotel staff postings here put a target date on it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SEATraveller2
Reviewed September 5, 2011

All the doors are wide open that lead to the outside, so anybody can get in. The key cards for my doors does not work, I had to go to the front desk three times to get in my room, there are no free plugs in my room, so I have to move the tables, there is a funny smell in the hallways.

On a good note I was very happy with their fitness center and pool! We will see about breakfast.

I am not going to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank A W
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I booked my reservation on Priceline. This was supposed to be a 3 star hotel. The hotel needs to be rated "0" Stars. I know the hotel is undergoing renovation. I could tell it as soon as I pulled off the highway and saw the canvas sign cover and the outside of the building.

The check-in area is okay. The rest is terrible. A reviewer on Priceline noted in June 2011 that the glass in the back door (apparently the onl,y way to get to rooms they give out) was broken. 6 weeks later when I checked in, the glass was still broken.

The hallways stunk. Carpet and hallway was stained. The room was even worse.

Stunk!!!!!! Bed covers, drapery, furniture was severly stained. I pulled back the bedcovers to inspect the sheets, afraid of bugs. Didn't see any but still did feel clean or comfortable. Teh bathroom was just as bad. The television did not work properly. I called the front desk and demanded another room speciffically stating I wanted a clean room. The hotel employee that came ot my room to escort me to another room told me that she inspected 3 rooms before she came to get me. she offered me the cleanest room in the hotel that they had. Was just as bad. I pulled bacdk the bed covers and she asked my whay and I told her I was looking for bedbugs. Surprisingly I did not find any bedbugs or bring home any bed bugs.

I can sum this up saying that I have stayed in flop houses in New York City as a youth that were not this bad.

STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Bill P
kspaulding, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your feedback from your recent stay here at The Waterville Grand Hotel. I am sorry your stay wasn't great! As I have stated in other review responses and it is no big secret we are under renovations. We are working hard to get this wrapped up! The carpet in the hallway where you were located is now gone. The carpet crew came back Tuesday to finish installing the hallway carpet on all 3 floors. Your floor was the only one they hadn't torn up. The other floors just had carpet padding. You are right those carpets were stained. The new ones look great! I am sorry that your room wasn't as clean as you expected. This will be taken to housekeeping for further training of the room attendants.

I would like to invite you to come and give us a second chance when our renovations are complete. We truly do appreciate all the feedback we receive. Again, thank you for your time!

Reviewed August 19, 2011

First, to start, the only reason this place gets two stars is because of the staff. The hotel staff was so wonderful, nice, friendly. They were great. I was traveling with my dog and they couldn't have been more helpful and kind.

That said, the property is just awful. Grand is a misnomer. I understand they are renovating; that's not the issue. The walls of our hotel room did not meet--while lying in bed you could look at the corner of the room and see outside. I am not kidding. We were in a corner room and the corner did not meet. I could not make that up.

But the staff--from the front desk to the maid service--were really great.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank zmartin
kspaulding, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Thank you so much for taking time to write this review and acknowledge our great staff! I want to assure you that the problem you experienced with the room is being taken care of! It was brought to the attention of the Chief Engineer who will be having the problem corrected! I hope that you will return after the renovations are complete and give us a second chance! Have a great day!!

Reviewed August 18, 2011

We had a last minute scenario where family was coming to town. We didn't want them to have to stay in a hotel so we offered our house to family. The Waterville Grand was able to accommodate our last minute request. The room was very clean. The pool was great and the service at the pub was outstanding. We had a wonderful stay there. It felt like a vacation in our own home town. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We just got back from a softball tournament in the area. We stayed at this hotel because it was the only one available.. it was OVER priced..for $159 dollars a night I would expect to have a clean room. My daughter got into her bed to find brown stains all over her comforter and another stain which appeared to be coffee and it did not appear that the comforter had been cleaned. They did promptly replace it but not with much of an apology, the people at the front desk didn't seem to care much about any complaints made..and I know they received quite a few from families who traveled with the team. I understand the place is being renovated but they could have the contractors clean the hallways after they are done working, there were pieces of sheet rock everywhere and other debris that could be fixed with a quick vacuum.I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Softball333
kspaulding, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay here at the Waterville Grand Hotel. We do appreciate all feedback as it is a way to further train our employees. I am pleased that we were able to correct the situation with the comforter. I do apologize for the way you were made to feel. It is of the up most importance that our customer skills are top notch and this provides an opportunity to do some more training. As for the construction debris, I do apologize. It is hard to undergo a major renovation like we are and maintain a sense of cleanliness. There has been debris around. My only hope is that you will come back and give us another chance once the renovations are complete. We are trying to minimize the disruption to the guests as much as possible. The work on the windows is to be completed by the end of next week. Thank you again for your feedback. It truly is appreciated!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville
0 mi away
Comfort Inn Civic Center
Senator Inn & Spa
Senator Inn & Spa
#5 of 9 in Augusta

Been to Best Western Plus Waterville Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!