“Food slow to arrive, but worth the wait” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mirakuya Sushi & Hibachi & Cocktails
Ranked #23 of 88 Restaurants in Waterville
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Belgrade, ME
“Food slow to arrive, but worth the wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Having been once I would definitely go again. The restaurant itself is beautiful with a floor-to-ceiling fountain and tiki type bar in the entryway. This place is soooo popular right now, so definitely make a reservation. We made our reservations at the last minute, so we got stuck at a small table at an alcove off to the right. It was a little cramped, but cozy. It was my parents, my husband and I out for my dad's birthday. The servers themselves were very attentive and professional, but my husband got his meal 20 minutes before my mom... who go her food 20 minutes before my dad and I. We did have miso soup and a salad to munch on, so we didn't starve, but it was awkward to be eating sporadically. I'm guessing it was just because they were new and so busy. I do have to say that the food was EXCELLENT and therefore worth the wait. Next time I go I want to be seated at the hibachi table. That looked like tons of fun.

• Visited March 2013

South China, Maine
“Great meal with friends and our kids!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just enjoyed dinner at Mirakuya last night with our friends and children and we had a great time! We were a group of 4 adults and 3 kids, ages 11 and 12. We enjoyed a great meal at the hibachi table and enjoyed the 'show' the chef puts on while cooking our meal. The kids REALLY enjoyed the meal preparation!
I ordered the combo of steak and scallops, which I shared with my son. The meal was more than enough for the two of us - plus he's not a big eater so it was nice that they allowed us to share. Everyone's meat was cooked to order and there were no complaints from any of us regarding our meal. My only negative was the drink I ordered. I ordered a Mojito and so did of one my friends - there was barely any alcohol in it. Just tasted like soda water with mint...a little disappointing. We didn't make a big deal of it but hopefully this was just a fluke and not common for other drinks they serve. The kids ordered fried ice cream for dessert and loved it. The next time we go we plan on trying some of the sushi, which I've heard is quite good. Overall I highly recommend dinner or lunch here if you're looking for a little fun along with great food! We're happy to now have a GREAT Japanese restaurant in Waterville!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HollieK4
Waterville, Maine
“Fresh food, efficient service, a fun vibe.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We arrived without a reservation about 5:45 on a Saturday, and were quickly seated on the non-hibachi side of the house, The restaurant was almost full at that time, and did fill up soon after. Hostess was telling people the next seating at hibachi was at 8:45. Nice to see such a crowd out in Waterville!
We ordered a sushi boat for 2, which was huge. Lots of fresh sashimi and sushi, with a couple of rolls (spicy tuna and eel-avocado), in a fun presentation. Miso soup and salad were ok, nothing remarkable, but also nothing wrong, fresh and hot/cold as expected. Kind of fun to watch the goings-on on the hibachi side of the place, very lively, people seemed to be enjoying for the most part. One chef (at least) repeated "yummy, yummy, yummy" several hundred times, and that got a little old, but we agreed it will be fun to come with our gang and enjoy the hibachi.
Plenty of food for the price. Looking forward to lunch, and a visit with the gang. We will definitely be back, love sushi/sashimi and want them to do well. Give it a try!

1 Thank LaurenSH_11
Waynesboro, Virginia
“A quiet? lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Mirakuya has had ads posted about its opening for almost a year. It opened recently. Yesterday we noted its grand opening and felt that it might be a treat for lunch after church and before grocery shopping. We were the first folks seated and service was prompt and solicitous. I ordered a sushi and sashimi lunch. my wife ordered a mixture of Maki rolls. There is a large set of choices and the fish was quite fresh. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. What intrigued us were the folks in the adjacent room who were being regaled by the Hibachi chef with his food aerobatics and knife skills. The audience was raucous and clearly enjoyed it all. This is something very new to Waterville and I believe the restaurant will be successful. We'll be back.

1 Thank Doc-Rugby
Waterville, Maine, United States
“Not bad for a fake Japanese Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Having lived in Japan for four years and travelled around the world in military service, Japanese cuisine is my favorite and I am often skeptical about Japanese restaurants which are not staffed by Japanese nationals, I have spent a fortune in gasoline driving to eat at Miyake and Yosaku in Portland and Yoshi in Brewer, all of which are very good or excellent. Therefore I was thrilled to see a Japanese "sushi and steakhouse" restaurant preparing to open in my home town of Waterville and I dined in on opeing day and have had two take out meals since.

When I entered the restaurant no one shouted Irashimass! ("Welcome") as would happen without fail in any Japanese run retail establishment. When I said "Konbonwah" (good evening) to the hostess I got a puzzled look and it turns out both she and the lady manager are Mandarin speaking Chinese. My male server and his several colleagues were polite, helpful, prompt, and friendly and for opening night, everything I ordered was on hand and delivered quickly and in the proper order. When my server could not tell me the proper pronunciation and English translation of Mirakuya (good taste and Meero k'ya) I asked where he was from and it was Java. He said his fellow male servers were mostly Indonesian as well. My expectations re the food went down a notch but, before you turn away from Mirokuya let me say it ain't that bad for Waterville, Maine and most nights I would choose to go there rather than drive an hour for better. The ingedients are fresh and the presentation might make a real Japanese sushi chef shudder but the portions are very large and the prices are not out of line considering what you receive in food and service.

A lot of work went into the remodeling of this former Italian restaurant and the dining area is divided into a room with table seating (no tatami mats or sitting on the floor) and a room with three "hibachi" grills where diners sit on three sides and scream and cheer as the chef tosses shrimp in the air and beheads them with his knife before they hit the grill. Actually "hibachi" ("fire bowl" in Japanese referring to the small charcoal fueled braziers used in Japanese homes in the old days) is a misnomer as is "sreakhouse" which I judge the proprietors choose to use because it is too hard to explain "teppan-yaki" (grilled on steel) to Americans. But this is teppan-yaki cooking and it is loud and boisterous and distracting if you are trying to have a quite meal at a table in the other room which is divided from the three hibachi/teppan-yaki tables only by an open wrought iron screened partition.

I also almost stabbed myself with my chopsticks when a temple gong boomed several times and the assembled wait staff began singing happy birthday to a lady named Carole Ann at the noisy hibachi table at which the chef had just ignited a 4 foot high wall of flaming alcohol. More proof they weren't Japanese is that every one could pronounce Carole Anne. If there had been any Japanese in the chorus her name would have been Karow -Ahn. I could have done without the flames, the singing, and especially the temple gong rung not once but three times as I ate a rather good and very ample bowl of Chirashi (Japanese for "a scattering" or as we might say "a bit of this and that") consisting of a variety of fresh sashimi (slices of raw fish), tamago scrambled egg, and pickled vegetables. The sushi rice was lacking in the sweetness it should have had both that night and in the takeout order of Sushi Supreme and Ten Don I tried later in the week. The sushi rice needed some mirin sweet rice wine because, in all three entrees I tried the rice was of the proper stickiness but had the starchy flavor of Minute Rice or Uncle Ben's and sushi rice should be slightly sweet. The two sushi dishes I have ordered there came with a side of about two tablespoons of wasabi and a quarter cup of pickled shaved ginger root. They could cut back on that and save some money without any customer noticing although I think they may have wanted to get rid of the drum of wasabi they must have in the kitchen because it was the consistency of potters clay and maybe old.

Overall I was impressed by the organization and good service and food selection I found here on opening night and during the firstr week of operation. This and the extent to which the interior of the restaurant had been tastefully remodeled prompted me to ask the manager if Mirokuya was a franchise of a national chain. She said no so I must say she is a capable manager. When I first looked at the prices on the menu I thought to myself, "Well they may not stay open long in Waterville at these prices." But then the food came and you get your money's worth in quantity and variety of dishes. It is not the best Japanese food you will ever find, maybe average is about all one should expect in a place like the JFK Mall in Waterville, Maine.

• Visited January 2013