“Lovely Little Place”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had several excellent martinis and delicious appetizers here one evening. The place was busy but with good energy. Our waiter was busy but always cheerful and happy to help us out with our next order. The oysters were wonderful both raw and in the oysters Rockefeller. Crab cake a bit strange but the aolli with it was excellent. We will definitely return to try the main entrees. The sign on the door says they are open until 1 AM so a late night place in Waterville! Hope it lasts!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Food, service and atmosphere were excellent, this place has it all. Will definately be back soon and will be spreading the word to family and friends.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Did a one night pit stop in Waterville on our way north to Prince Edward Island. Explored downtown and checked out some of the old mills. When we got hungry we start searching for a dinner place and found 18 Below. I have always been a fan of basement restaurants, I like the brick and beams and think they try harder. We had an excellent top shelf dinner here and a real bargain as compared with central Connecticut were we live. We liked it so much we stopped by again on our way home 14 days later. Lick your dish good!

I would suggest to the chef to reduce the salt a bit but highly recommend. BURB!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

we were thrilled to find such excellent food in out-of-the-way waterville, maine. we felt like we were eating in a big city restaurant. everything we had was perfectly prepared and delicious. highly recommend the lobster cutlets.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

You can only hope this is a sign of things to come for this small town off of Interstate 95. This was a complete surprise for my wife and I. Not only is the basement atmosphere cool and chic, the food is something you find only in top resorts or very large metro areas. This is easily one of the top three meals we have had travelling through the Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont area this summer.

We started with their version of Oysters Rockefeller. It was a bit pricey and the portion was rather small. I had my doubts about the value of this appetizer. I slipped one in and the rest was history. One of the most flavorful Oysters Rockefeller appetizers I have laid my lips on. Absolutely delicious. The only wish I had for this dish is that they used large Florida Apalachicola oysters rather than the puny Prince Edward variety, but all was delicious regardless.

Next came my wife's seafood chowder. This was a watery style chowder rather than the thick cream base most chowders flaunt. Once again we had our doubts since most thin chowders end up tasting like seafood in cream water. Well, we were dead wrong. My wife and I looked at each other and realized this was probably the best seafood chowder we had consumed. It had large chunks of fish and other varieties of seafood that just danced in our bowls until our tongues cried out for more. It was a chowder ecstasy. The flavor was amazing!

Then came the boring salad time except the two side Caesar Salad's we had actually were very good. A few too many croutons for me, but regardless they had great flavor.

Our main dish finally arrived. We decided to share their Seafood Paella. I am not going to say another word describing this dish other than get this dish for your first visit. Absolutely amazing! Easily the best seafood paella we have ever had by far and wide.

We finished up this fantastic dinner sharing their wonderful Strawberry Shortcake dessert which was also delicious.

I can't rave enough about this wonderful restaurant. One of the top ten restaurants in atmosphere and cuisine during our travels across the United States and Canada so far. No matter where you are in Maine, make the drive for this fantastic dinner destination.