“Huge selection of wines by the glass”
Review of 18 Below Raw Bar

18 Below Raw Bar
Ranked #3 of 88 Restaurants in Waterville
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were a group of seven celebrating a friend's birthday and all of us agreed this restaurant was a good choice. It was quite busy for a Tuesday night, but our server didn't rush us, and we were able to linger over a delicious birthday cake delivered from the bakery next door (a cup of espresso to finish off the meal would have gone down well, but they don't have an espresso machine here). The fresh seafood was exceptional. One of the guests had rack of lamb which wasn't the best thing to order at a restaurant known for its seafood. Everything else was quite delicious and VERY plentiful (be prepared to share, or take some home). The wine list is terrific with a huge selection of reasonably-priced, by-the-glass choices. The placement of our table right next to the service door was somewhat awkward, and it seems as if things could be "romanced up" somehow to create a more inviting atmosphere.

1  Thank Wahzah

Reviewed February 24, 2013

18 Below truly is the best restaurant in the Waterville area! We frequently patronize this place for all the reasons; food, atmosphere, and the best wait staff!

Last night, my daughter-in-law and her 2 young children were hungry and wanted a great meal. My daughter-in-law went into the restaurant and checked in with the Host. The Hostess was more than accommodating and prepared our table as she came and got us from the parking lot.

I was a bit concerned about the Children at the restaurant as it is a mostly an adult atmosphere, but again with a discussion with the children needing to be on the best behavior and the OK from the Host we made the choice to sit in the Bar area. Also, in the past when at eating establishments, I have on several occasions been approached by adults complimenting how well behaved the children are.

Children love Chicken Fingers, so the Chicken Strips were the best for them and us as appetizers! My 5 year old grandson even loved the Chili sauce that come with it! Truly a delicious appetizer.

At one point, the youngest grandson had to relieve himself and he was quick to get up and I quickly attended his need with little disruption. A reminder he is a 3 year old, but he did extremely well.

To the fact, the table to the opposite side of us was a large party. Our 3yr old was self entertaining with Mom's iPad and the woman in that party did her best to get his attention; tickling his foot etc. It was nice to see others trying to interact with him, but was very surprised that the youngest just was not responding at all. He remained attached to the iPad's attraction as most children do!

Our meal ordered was the Butternut Squash Ravioli with awesome green beans, and I as always, ordered the House Prime Aged NY sirloin strip which again is and the best steak you can order in the Waterville area!

With apologies the the most recent patrons reviews, I believed we did the best we could in keeping the children at their best and truly enjoyed again a fabulous night at 18 Below!

1  Thank Serndip
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Food was very good 9/10
service and ambiance not so much

we sat on the bar side so you get gipped a waiter / waitress as the bar server doubles up.
the service was slow and inattentive.

while i have kids i am not a big fan of goo goo's at a pm dining hours. obviously one cannot discriminate but any respectable establishment would have drawn the line regards their pajamas , i was not far rong as the mother chased them around the dinning area.

we brought this to the owners mothers attention who obviously could not give a monkeys about patrons concerns and could not care less.

in conclusion dinners come and go in waterville faster than jobs, if you want good eates you really do have to go to portland

Reviewed February 18, 2013

A great place with atmosphere to rival any chic restaurant in any major city. The food is superb. Portions are generous. Service is prompt and attentive.

My mate and I decided to give 18 Below a try on Valentines day. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. It was a fixed 6 course dinner for the holiday with two choices for salad and appetizer courses and more than six entree choices. We had shrimp compote to start. It had the horrid cilantro as an ingredient and to my delight I was made one without any even though they were extremely busy.
Our entree choices were duck and salmon. My duck was perfectly medium rare with a fantastic port reduction( and had to be one of the largest breasts I've ever had) , mashed potatoes and a mound of hericot verts. His Salmon was perfectly cooked and a very generous portion. It was topped with a lemon butter sauce that was smooth and subtle. He too had mashed and hericot verts.

I was most surprised when the bill came. Six courses x2 (no drinks) $105 with tax.

We can not wait to return and try more of their delicious food.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This place is great. The food was outstanding. It is about time that Waterville Maine was blessed with a restaurant like this. Bring Everyone you know!!!