“clean but a bit shabby”

Budget Host Airport Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Waterville
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed for just one night, and for one night, it was perfectly acceptable. The hotel is a bit old, and needs to be refurbished, but for the price ($75 for a double with 2 beds during "leaf peeper" season), I really could not find much to complain about except the fact that the black out curtains barely covered the window, and there was a lot of ambient light in the room all night. The owners were very pleasant and accomodating. The BEST part about Budget Host was that in addition to the usual cereal, toast, juice, coffee/tea, juice and milk, they had a "make your own" waffle maker! The waffles were simply delicious, and it was a real treat to be able to make myself a fresh waffle before continuing my journey. If I was passing through Waterville again, I would stay at Budget Host. Certainly not luxury accomodations, but clean. There is a "Thai Pad Too" restaurant attached to the hotel. We did not try it, but it seemed to be packed with locals when we checked into the hotel - all the license plates outside the restaurant were Maine plates.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nopennycn

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I had to stay in Waterville, Maine overnight and the rates were through the roof at the places I would have preferred - (height of the tourist season.) I read some of of the earlier reviews of the Budget Host Airport Inn and was really nervous, but decided to give it a shot. I am really glad I did and was pleasantly surprised.

Look, this is not a resort. There is no pool, sauna, computer room or gym. The accommodations are not luxurious, period. But the room was absolutely spotless.
The bed was really firm. The water pressure in the shower was just fine. There was no noise coming into my room from other rooms or outside. And best of all, the air conditioning was really great. It was the hottest day of the year - 95 degrees - and the air conditioner cooled the room very quickly and kept it at the temperature I wanted. I got a good night's sleep and was on my way the next day. All this for about half of what I would have had to pay elsewhere.

Also, I should mention that the staff were uniformly courteous and very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Waingrow
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I don't mind splurging on high-end accommodations for a romantic getaway, but when all I need is a one-night room on the road to somewhere else, my inner cheapskate emerges and I feel compelled to seek out the best deal at the lowest price. Last week, I found a great deal at the Budget Host. The online reviews ranged from neutral to negative, but hey -- my spouse and I were just going there to sleep, shower, and get back on the road in the morning, so how bad could it be? Well, we were pleasantly surprised. The front desk folks were cordial and efficient even though we arrived quite late, the bed was comfortably firm, the towels and linens were spotless, and the shower was warm with good water pressure. The room was equipped with a large-screen cable TV, microwave, and mini-fridge, although we didn't need or use any of these items. For under $45 including tax (in an area where most of the chain motels start at $99 during high tourist season), these amenities are all I need to happily rate this one-star as "very good" for its category. The rate even includes a limited continental breakfast! Nothing remarkable, just coffee, tea, juice, store-bought mini-muffins and white English muffins, but it certainly added to the overall value of our stay. I expect that we will stay here again on our next trip through Waterville!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Festival_Lovers
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Unless you are on a budget, avoid this hotel! When you walk in the hallway the musty oder is overwhelming. The rooms smell much the same. We needed to purchas some air freshener to make it tolerable. I have stayed here many times over the last 25 years and this was the wost condition this facility has ever been in. My wife and I were both eaten by fleas while we slept.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank dcsteve56
Reviewed May 20, 2010

NEVER AGAIN! Very unfriendly. There is a reason this hotel is ranked #6 out 6 hotels in Waterville listed here on trip advisor.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CTLADY_USA
Reviewed September 7, 2009

After reading the reviews I was wary of what we'd come to at the end of the day. Being a holiday weekend, we felt lucky to find anything for a decent price.

Our room wasn't necessarily so bad. We just needed a place to sleep. The carpet was fairly new, our sheets weren't stained or torn or anything like others have reported (no bugs, either). The towels were pretty rough, like sandpaper. The bathroom was clean, although the ledge on the sink below the mirror looked as though it hadn't been cleaned or wiped in some time (dust, hair). The seat of the chair by the bed did have some scary stains on it. I used it to rest my suitcase on (the arms). We stayed in the other building (the one that's not attached to the office) and the one thing that immediately troubled me was the fact that the heat was on in the hallway, which affected the entire building. It was HOT inside that building. The heat, along with the heavy smell of cleaning products or deodorizers was enough to make me not feel well. Thankfully once we got to our room, we found that the windows opened, so we left our window opened all night. I still had a major itch in my nose and a headache for a lot of the next day.

The motel clearly needs some updating and some deep cleaning. It looks like they might be attempting to update it little by little, but a little bit of thorough vacuuming and scrubbing would go a long way until then.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank granolagirl23
Reviewed July 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our way up to Northern Maine. We really just needed a place to sleep for a few hours, and almost every hotel in the area was booked, so this is where we ended up. As soon as we walked into our room, the stench of mold hit us in the face. We then noticed that the smell was most likely coming from a broken air conditioner that was leaking all over the carpet (which was soaking wet before we arrived). Aside from the smell, the water, and the nastiness, the television did not work at all, and the bathroom was disgusting. I felt like I was back in a college dorm, having to wear my flip flops in the shower it was so nasty. If you can avoid this hotel, I would strongly recommend doing so.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank traveler0614
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville
Fireside Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Waterville
Hampton Inn Waterville
#1 of 6 in Waterville
Quality Inn & Suites Maine Evergreen Hotel

Been to Budget Host Airport Inn? Share your experiences!