Medomak Family Camp and Retreat Center
The Country Inn at Camden / Rockport(Rockport)(Great Value!)
$125
Hotels.com
Cedar Crest Inn(Camden)(Great Value!)
$119
$115
Hotels.com
The Towne Motel(Camden)(Great Value!)
$94
$219
Lord Camden Inn(Camden)(Great Value!)
$169
16 Bay View(Camden)
$279
Schooner Bay Motor Inn(Rockport)(Great Value!)
$129
$125
Grand Harbor Inn(Camden)
$499
$359
Whitehall(Camden)(Great Value!)
$133
TripAdvisor
All reviewsherbal spascheduled activitieseach morningcounselorshollyarchery
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I emailed and called the camp imploring them to contact me if they received a cancellation for a particular session (it was all booked up at that time) since it was the only week our family had for our summer vacation. I spoke to Jackie who told me cancellations were rare but that she would definitely contact me if one arose. About a week and a half later, on a Thursday night after work, I got a voicemail from Jackie telling me there had been a cancellation and I should call her if I was still interested. Beyond excited, I phoned early the next day as instructed, prepared to provide my payment information. David told me there was availability but requested I register online. I immediately did so. However, later that day David phoned to tell me another family had booked online before us. If that was the 'finish line' why didn't Jackie instruct me to register immediately in her voicemail? While he offered a cabin to us at a slight discount, given that it was more than half a mile away from the actual camp and we have a four year old and a seven year old, we declined. I am shocked that Jackie and David did not honor the verbal commitment they made with me, especially since I had reached out more than a week and a half earlier to request availability. The 'logic' he offered was that the other family had technically registered first. So, a camp that features its lack of 'connectivity' as a selling point to guests is going to honor the family's online registration even though our family had first communicated in email and phone our interest to register even when the session was full. I strongly suspect the other family had more in their party and was thus more lucrative for the camp to 'keep' when choosing between the registrations. What else could explain such a disappointing decision by the camp to not honor their commitment to offer availability (should it arise via a cancellation) to me and my family? Our boys are heartbroken-- my mistake presumably for telling my children about our upcoming adventure, having assumed the camp staff would follow through on their word. At best, this is poor organization by the booking office. At worst, it's a look into the value system of staff driving this 'family summer camp'.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank FamilyTraveler283
Reviewed August 4, 2010

My husband found Medomak online after I complained that I wanted to go to summer camp like our eleven year old daughter did. Family Camp could have been a risk, but Medomak was so much better than we anticipated. The cabins were great. The food was much better than regular 'ole camp food with a very creative chef and lots of fresh vegetables. The other "campers" were great fun. The kids all got along like cousins. The activities were entertaining, from arts and crafts to dairy avec Perri (that's making cheese with from the milk given by the camp cow Perri.) But the key was the owners and staff who made sure fun was had by all and everyone had a different definition of fun. This is one vacation we plan to repeat.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank CBugsmom
Reviewed March 29, 2010

If you want to get away with your family to relax and have fun, Medomak is the place! Activities for all ages are planned and supervised. Amazing meals are prepared by their chef. There is plenty to do or not do if you would rather take a nap or read a book. Kids are busy all day with supervised morning activities, family lake time in the afternoons and a family evening activities. In between there is tennis, shuffleboard, 4 square, a barn full of puzzles, board games, hoola hoops, ping-pong, fooseball, basketball... I have seen extended families, single parent families, grandparent and grandchildren all come to Medomak. Tuition covers your meals, cabins and all activities except massages. A very special place that you will never forget!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank lifesabeach58
Reviewed August 12, 2008

We have visited Medomak twice now. Once in 2006 and again this year (2008). Everything the other reviewers have said are true. It’s an amazing vacation for families where you can enjoy lots of activities or do nothing at all.

I am not a camper by any stretch of the imagination. I don’t mind the “outdoors” by day, but by night I need four walls, a roof, a bed and my own bathroom! Our private cabins provide all of that and more. There are two sinks and the toilet is in a separate room from the shower so it’s easier at shower time for my family of four to share the bathroom. Also there are plenty of dressers and hooks to store clothing and the cabins are quite large, though only one room.

I love the fact that there are organized activities for everyone of every age. We’ve been to other vacations similar to this but the organized activities tend to be for the children only. Not a Medomak. We (as parents) can choose to join others in a game or learn a new skill. I find myself doing stuff I wouldn’t do the rest of the year. It’s like being a kid again. There are activities for teens as well which is another age group often forgotten by places like this (but again, Medomak keeps them busy too!)
My kids (ages 11 and 13) love Medomak and can’t wait to go back again. The activities are grouped by age, so they quickly meet others their own age and spend lots of time with them. Meal time is “family style” but more often than not they are off with their new friends. During “down time” (time between scheduled activities) you can find my kids playing in the barn with their new friends. The barn contains foosball, ping pong, a basketball hoop and lots of games and sports equipment.

The lake is beautiful and Medomak has its own private little beach and cove. It’s not large but with only 12 families visiting at a time, it’s big enough.

I could go on (and probably end up repeated everything everyone else said) but I will just summarize by adding my voice to the others, that Medomak is a terrific family vacation.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank familytravellers4
Reviewed November 21, 2007

Our family attended this camp this past year (2007) in Maine. We had three generations attend. Having never been to a family camp before we were a little worried. There was no need to be. The staff at Medomak made everyone feel welcome and at ease. Activities were optional for both adults and children. What we liked the most about this camp was that our children had their own program in the morning, but the adults were invited to join in with them or we could take our own classes. We also like the fact that all our meals were together as a family. Some of the activities our kids did were archery, arts and crafts, drama, tennis, nature skills and photography. As adults we also did archery, arts and crafts, photography (we got to use the dark room), rowing, sailing, learned about their gardens, and could get a massage. Our whole family went blueberry picking too.
Every family had their own rustic cabin complete with beds and shower. Dinner was family style and the food was great. One night there is a lobster dinner.
I would recommend Medomak to any family, especially for multi-generational gatherings because there is something for everyone.

4  Thank mrsks