“What a wonderful surprise!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Washington
Medomak Camp and Retreat Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Washington
GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“What a wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed October 13, 2007

I had never heard of a family camp. I was surfing the internet for things to do with my 10 year old "best girlfriend" during the summer and came across Medomak Camp. It sounded like just what I was looking for--a place that would be fun for both of us with lots of cool things to do. And, it was! There was every kind of activity you could think of, plus a few I had never heard of. I won't tell you about all of them, because that would spoil the fun. Nessie and I went fishing on the lake (her first time) and she caught a fish! She was thrilled! Although usually a picky eater she pronounced the food the best she ever had. Our cabin was spacious and spotlessly clean, and the beds really comfortable. The staff were like family and did everything possible to accomodate some of my special needs. All in all, our stay at Medomak was one of the best vacations I ever had and I sent in my registration for this coming summer as soon as they were accepting reservations. Hurry up and come. This place is fantastic!

Jean Makalou

• Liked — The cabin and the food, the campfire and the staff
  • Disliked — The walk up the hill from the cabin to most activities
4 Thank leelaa

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2007

When our 8 year old son told us he wanted to go to sleep away camp, we all decided to go with him! After all, why should kids have all the fun? We loved the fact that there were activities for all ages -including our 8 year olds triplets and 3 year old daughter and that mom and dad would get some time without the kids. We also liked the idea of spending afternoons together as a family - sailing, kayaking, rowing, swimming or raspberry picking.

The evening activities included family games, sports and campfires plus an astronomy lesson from the editor of Sky and Telescope magazine who was fantastic with the adults and kids and even led the kids in an afternoon craft activity. The adult evening festivities were just as fun and included a local beer and cheese tasting and a presentation from Greg Mort, a local artist whose work has appeared in the White House.

We really enjoyed the change in scenery and would highly recommend this camp to anyone looking for a unique family vacation. We liked the the fact that the camp is relatively small and we were able to get to know the other families as well as the owners and staff.

5 Thank Tripletsplusone
jersey
Reviewed October 12, 2007

This is an extraordinary family vacation. Owners who care
passionately, each and every staff person wonderful, yummy comfort food, friendly families, and lots of fun and laughs in a lovely setting. Cabins are rustic but spotlessly clean, cheerful and well maintained, with nice comfy beds (adults get a double...or it might have been a queen with a high quality mattress). A wide range of typical camp activities including sculling, which is a hobby of one of the owners. Beautiful lake.

Our family's first time was this year and we plan to go back again!

3 Thank jaydeejersey
Ohio
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We stayed at Medomak Camp the week of 7/8/07 and we had a great time! The people who own and run the camp truly care and everyone's goal is to make sure you have a truly memorable experience (as we were leaving my daughter wanted to know when we were going to be coming back!)

The cabins were in great shape and the layout was perfect. We opted to use the camps' bedding (for a fee) instead of lugging our sleeping bags on the plane. The cabins don't have heat and the first night we were freezing, but the camp took care of that and offered extra blankets to anyone who needed it. The cabin has a sink/toilet area, a separate shower area, and another sink out in the main part of the cabin. There are 2 rocking chairs inside the cabin and 2 aderondak chairs outside each cabin.

The beach area was a little walk, with part of it being a boardwalk. The kayaking was incredible, sailing and sculling classes were offered and there were plenty of row boats. The bottom of the lake had gook on it (seaweed?) - so you will want to wear water shoes. The kids had a ball jumping off the platform with the diving board. The counselors were very concientous lifeguards! Another great thing that I wasn't expecting - the beach area has wonderfully comfortable beach chairs - no need to lug your own down to the beach, and in the afternoon, the beach area is 1/2 in the shade and 1/2 in the sun - something for everyone.

The food was wonderful, and you can tell John the cook really cared. The lobster dinner was fun (especially for us Michigan/Ohio people who only get lobster at Red Lobster). The counselors were great instructing us on how to get to the lobster meat. Some other standout food items that I thought were great were the Whoopie Pies, chocolate chip cookies still warm from the oven, lasagna (both meet and veggie), veggie pizzas, salad fresh from the camps' garden, watermelon, daily snacks (very fun!), oatmeal (yes - I'm not sure why - I think it was the stone-cut variety - yummy with butter and brown sugar), grits (yes - I've never had it, but oh my gosh it was good with the eggs,butter and cheese that John put in it).

The activities were great - morning hikes, stretching, yoga, arts and crafts, photography (they have a camera that you can use, and then you develop your own pictures), land sports, country dancing (similar to square dancing), skits, etc. The tennis courts and raquets they provide were in great shape - we were impressed since not much is mentioned on that. Also, the beer tasting was fun and I don't even like beer, and the kids had fun with their soda tasting. The morning activities were organized very well, and the kids were divided out into their various age groups, with plenty of counselors looking after them.

The only caution is that there are lots of moquitoes in the evening, but everyone was sharing their lotions so it was a bonding experience.

Everyone is wonderful - from Holly and George, Cathryn the nurse (hi Cathryn), Dave the camp director, all of the college-age counsellors and John the cook, the other kids that help in the kitchen and around the camp and all the other camping families that we met.

Oh yea, one more piece of advice - that barn has LOTS of activities which is wonderful for rainy days (ping pong, basketball, foozeball), and there's a great indoor fireplace which is wonderful for reading, playing games or putting together a puzzle. The camp has LOTS of board games and puzzles. I had brought Boggle with me and wouldn't you know they had it at the camp!

Can you tell we loved our stay?

• Stayed July 2007
3 Thank waggyOhio
Maryland
Reviewed October 29, 2006

My family has been attending this family camp since 1999. As my children have grown from adolescence to teens they continue to love and appreciate Medomak for the special place that it is. Every member of the family has their favorites. My 13 year old loves all the new friends she makes (and stays in touch with year after year). My 16 year old loves swimming in the clean lake. My 19 year old loves the nightly knockout (basketball) game held in the barn. My husband loves having the ability to fish all day long and the clear skies for star gazing at night. I love the fact I do not have to shop, cook or clean up all week and really have the opportunity to relax (the yoga is great too! ). This is a unique place that truly is a hidden gem in Maine. There is something of everyone here...archery, arts and crafts, sports, photography, swimming, sculling, blueberry picking, scavenger hunts, antiquing and the list goes on and on. The staff does an incredible job making every camper feel welcomed as well as building a community among the 10-12 families each week. A+++

• Liked — Activities all day long for the entire family. I never hear, There's nothing to do.
  • Disliked — Having to say goodbye
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early, ask the staff about the wildlife (there was an eagle nesting on the property this past summer) and take the kids to Northstar Lodge on the lake for a family overnight.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank momof3teens
Massachusetts
Reviewed October 20, 2006

For the past 3 years we have travelled to Washington ME to spend a week at family camp at Medomak. We keep going back because our kids love it and it's an incredibly relaxing and stress-free vacation for parents. All meals and activities are included in the price, which is very reasonable when compared with similar vacations. Families stay in their own cabin with a bathroom and shower. Days are spent trying out traditional camp activities - archery, arts & crafts, sports, boating - and there is a campfire and whole camp activity each night (including things like campwide kickball, star gazing, and local beer and cheese tasting.) Kids have plenty of opportunities to meet other kids and have fun separate from parents. Adults can choose which activities to participate in and if reading a book under a tree is your preference, that's fine. Meals are prepared by gourmet chefs and there's always something to please kids and adults. No bug juice and hot dogs here! The lake is beautiful and stocked with kayaks, canoes, sailboats and even a rowing scull. There's also an "out of camp" day midweek that allows you time to explore the Maine coast. A great opportunity to "unplug" and enjoy some of the simple things that you might have done at summer camp as a kid - but this time with your whole family.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank VCL
CT
Reviewed October 20, 2006

It has been a long time since my family and I have enjoyed such a wonderful, relaxing, entertaining week together. Two sons ages 16 and 11 were both equally engaged and enthusiastic about the week and I was able to explore, try new "camper" activities and just plain rest. Great also was having a week off from cooking, especially since the food was very good.
Cabins are far from roughing it. Bathroom, shower, queen and twin beds, plenty of lights and CLEAN.
Activities are well organized and safe for everyone. Sailing, canoeing, rowing, general sports activities, crafts (NOT the standard cheesy camper crafts, either), tennis, basketball. There are also great campfires every evening with a night sky not to be believed.
This is a place where kind, friendly strangers become family and tears upon departure are not unusual. If you believe that summers are for family and friends, this is a vacation you should strongly consider.

• Liked — Clean and bright. Friendly and accommodating.
  • Disliked — We weren't able to stay longer.
  • Tips/Secrets — Pack for a variety of weather. Evenings can get chilly, but days were quite warm.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank nsgb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Maple Hill Farm Inn
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Point Lookout Resort
Point Lookout Resort
#1 of 1 in Northport

Been to Medomak Camp and Retreat Center? Share your experiences!