“Quaint written all over it . . .”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Skye Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waldoboro
Blue Skye Farm
Ranked #2 of 6 Waldoboro B&B and Inns
Covington, Georgia
“Quaint written all over it . . .”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights at Blue Skye Inn, as part of our anniversary trip to mid-coast Maine. We love the area, and we stayed at a pair of b&b's, our experience at Blue Skye Inn was . . . quaint.

First of all, a couple of things about the property in general - the house is a beautiful period property, even if there's no real water view. BUT, it's on a pretty busy two-lane highway and you WILL hear cars & trucks rolling through pretty much 24/7 (especially if your room is on the front side of the house), even though the Inn is in a fairly isolated spot it's definitely on the road to/from some places a lot of folks need to go. Also, surprisingly (to me, anyway) for an older home, the walls are paper thin. Anytime anyone in any room opens or closes any door - you WILL hear it. My wife and I really felt like we had to whisper when we were in the room. Also, my computer/phone couldn't find any wi-fi internet connection (e.g. there isn't one).

We stayed in the Upper North room . . . I think all the rooms are very quaint (cute and period furnished, but small and, as you should expect in this type of house, with few electrical outlets, etc.). Our room also had no closet at all (there's one on the Inn's website photo, but it's locked and marked "private"), and the bathroom is private, but down the hall. I didn't think this would really be an issue, but it WAS annoying, and it's a bit further and more public than I realized when Jan (the innkeeper) and I spoke making the reservation.

Breakfast was good, served boarding-house style, the Inn's sitting rooms are nice, and you're not far from a lot of great things to do . . . but we'll probably try a different property on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Northern_Explorer1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

We were invited to Thanksgiving dinner with extended family who live in Waldoboro - we are in the Boston area - and needed a place to stay for two nights. It was suggested that we check out Blue Skye Farm because they had driven past it, and it looked nice.

The house is lovely and welcoming, the rooms are clean and comfortable with nice linens and towels, and the breakfast and company was wonderful! Jan is a great hostess and prepared two lovely breakfasts for us and the other guests, who dined at the dining room table and enjoyed sharing stories together.

All in all a terrific and memorable experience. Not only do I highly recommend it, I hope to have an opportunity to stay there again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Babzie9533
Darmstadt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

I have stayed in many B&B's in Europe and some in US but I can't remember one better than Blus Skye.
We arrived after a tiring tour of New England with the aim of spending a couple of leisurely days before returning to Germany. Our choice could not have been better. Our room was spotlessly clean, comfortable and quiet - a good night's sleep was guaranteed. The house was charming with the added benefit that we were free to use the sitting and dining rooms (both with log fires to enhance the atmosphere) and the kitchen - useful to cook a quick meal rather than eating out in the evening. The grounds of the house are beautiful and close to woodland, so ideal for nature lovers. Add to all this a delicious breakfast and last, but not least, a warm and friendly hostess and we were guaranteed a memorable stay.
I would whole-heartedly recommend Blue Skye to anyone planning to visit this lovely part of the Maine coast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

We're from Alaska, enjoying a foliage road trip from NYC to Bar Harbor, then back south to Boston. Since we weren't sure exactly where we'd be each night, we didn't book lodging more than a day in advance. While staying the night before in a cookie cutter Hampton Inn in Waterville, we found the Blue Skye Farm recommended on Lie Nielsen's website. We booked it, not quite certain how it would turn out, and with little other option available.

I'll suffice to say we had a DELIGHTFUL and BLISSFUL nights' sleep at the Blue Skye Farm's L-shaped room. It was a charming and cozy room with two double beds and a very fun loft with a twin mattress. The host was very sweet, and accommodating, and thoroughly enjoys well behaved children who are quiet, obey their elders, and are respectful. She had a delicious spread laid out for us, however we had to pass as we wanted to enjoy the famous Moody's Diner, and not having room for both. It was with great sadness that we left the sizzling plate of bacon and luscious red strawberries behind.

If there was anything I would improve, it would be a better lit and clear stone path to the front door entrance. Arriving at almost 8pm in the pouring rain, it was very dark and we felt like we were snooping across someone's lawn looking for the right door. But let me be clear, the next time we are in the Waldoboro/central coast area, we will be staying at the Blue Skye Farms B&B. We still need to explore Camden and Rockland!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

This is a wonderful b+b thanks to everything from the decor, to the books, breakfasts at the rustic wooden table, the coffee, the quiet surrounds and above all the friendliness of the hosts.
It's a place that will long linger in your thoughts.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

On Route 1 in Waldboro, many tourists stop off to enjoy friendly service at the "old" Moody's Diner, which started serving meals in 1930.

Just ten minutes down beautiful Route 220 is this roadside Inn, which is a little older than that: the house dates to 1775. It is kept in immaculate condition, wonderfully preserved including original wall stencils in the downstairs area, with updated fittings (lighting and well functioning bathrooms with shower-baths) and tasteful decorations.

Rooms are simply furnished, but very comfortable. Bedding is excellent. The house is just off Route 220 but traffic is light and at night there is minimal road noise.

Around and in back of the house, the property has several sloping lawns with comfortable chairs facing mature trees. Behind are natural ponds and wetlands, backed by woods in the distance.

A fine breakfast is served by the friendly owner.

A great place to spend a few nights when heading into Maine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Orleans, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

I chose this B&B for much needed rest and relaxation after reading a review in "Maine: An Explorers Guide". The historic details of the house were most alluring. And the fact that it is set in 100 acres of garden and wooded hiking trails was irresistible. I was not disappointed! For a nature lover like myself, the setting and walks were sublime. The bird watching was incredible, especially as the owners have feeders hanging all around the property and the marshes draw some delightful waterfowl.
The house itself, with its quaint passages and staircases and stencils is like stepping back in time. But my room and bathroom were perfectly in line with current standards... Tastefully, beautifully and sympathetically decorated with antiques and a comfortable bed, and all the mod cons that I required. While it was a bit over my price range, it was worth every penny.
And I loved the fact that I did not have to dine out every night, as the large kitchen was at my disposal for evening meals, and that saved me quite a lot of expense. The fact that the (very nice) owners live in a separate cottage, added to my feeling of independence, unlike many B&Bs where you feel rather underfoot.
Breakfasts were everything I could have wished for - and the homemade muesli was fabulous.
The owners were very helpful in steering me to local museums and galleries that I thoroughly enjoyed. The location, within easy reach of Wiscasset antique shops, Damariscotta neat shops, and Rockland for museums and festivals, is really ideal. My idea of a great and much-needed getaway! I will most certainly return!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waldoboro
Hampton Inn & Suites Rockland
Newcastle Inn
#1 of 4 in Newcastle
Sheepscot Harbour Village Resort & Spa
Le Vatout Bed and Breakfast

Been to Blue Skye Farm? Share your experiences!