“Great store. Not-so-great restaurant.”
Review of Morse's Sauerkraut

Morse's Sauerkraut
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Waldoboro
Reviewed December 18, 2011

The store is quite busy on the weekends, and rightfully so. Wonderful specialized imports that you cannot find anywhere else. Although, Ingred's German Gift Shop in Bangor has a number of meat, candy and specialty import food items as well. It's not as big, but it may be a lot more convenient to get to.

The restaurant experience left a lot to be desired. My fiance ordered the pork schnitzel over spaetzle with jager sauce and red cabbage. His pork was overcooked and dry, the spaetzle came out of a bag, and the plate was undersauced. My liverwurst sandwich was tolerable at best, and I took half of it home to deconstruct and remove the ungodly amount of liverwurst to have on crackers later. There was so much liverwurst in there with very thickly sliced, unpeeled (unseasoned) cucumbers which hurt the mouth to eat - it was incredibly unbalanced. No acid to cut the fattyness of the wurst and not enough texture to break up the creamy heaviness of it. Some of their mustard pickles would have been great in there to add a little bit of texture and interest to make it dance in the mouth a little bit. The coleslaw was wonderful with delicious, tender cabbage and delicate flavor, but the german potato salad is underseasoned and flavorless. As a previous reviewer said, it leaves you with the impression that they just serve what they carry in the store - there's no problem with that alone, but for it to be so mediocre and unelevated - it certainly didn't stand up to all the anticipation we had of going there.

We tried to get in there last fall and missed the dinner bell by 15 minutes, which was a bummer after almost a 2hr trek. A whole year of waiting, and we are sad to say our anticipation of the restaurant was unrewarded. We do love the store, but the food service end could really use a menu facelift and someone inspired by German flavors behind the stove.

6  Thank InsatiableFoodie

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Didn't expect to find this treasure trove of imported fare in the middle of nowhere!

2  Thank awdsn
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We went for lunch, the little restaurant was full. They suggested we order take-out, which was promised for 20 minutes. An hour later, in spite of repeatedly asking if they had lost our order, we had not received it. I'll probably shop at the store again if i'm in the area, but never plan to eat there again.

3  Thank Emmentaler
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I've been meaning to go to Morse's since we moved to Maine 4.5 years ago. I can't believe it took me this long. This place is awesome! It's got everything you could possibly want or need to have a super deluxe gourmet meal: cured meats, interesting cheeses, olives, dips, spreads, candies, pastries, and so much more (and they provide samples of almost everything). Most of the goods are imported, as far as I could tell. It's rare to have so many great choices of specialty foods in this particular part of Maine. We bought horseradish, kielbasa, sauerkraut, nougat, and a chocolate marzipan bar. The service was excellent, although it was really busy so we did have to wait to be helped at the deli counter.

We waited about 30 minutes to be seated for lunch but the cool thing is they took our order while we were waiting so by the time they sat us they brought out our food immediately. We both had pastrami rueben's which were fantastic! They have crocks on the table that are filled with their homemade pickles and you can eat as many as you like. They also had 4 choices of mustards and two kinds of paprika. The food is all very German and I can't wait to go back and try other options.

All told, I would call this place a "do not miss!" It's a great place for picking out things for a picnic, or a lovely gift basket, or fun candies for stockings. Have fun!

2  Thank widewrld
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I was born and brought up in Waldoboro in a German family. I'm not sure a lot of these folks have ever had REAL kraut. It is the best on earth, we love it. It is crispy unless cooked (DUH). When you buy it in PA. in a jar it is slimy to say the least.

2  Thank Ricky6270