“A great experience for relaxation and adventure”

Le Vatout Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 6 Waldoboro B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We took the mushroom foraging package for something different and we were not disappointed. Each day consisted of great meals, wonderful company and a real adventure into the world of mushrooms. We highly recommend Le Vatout and the mushroom package.
We are interested in taking the other vacation packages as well. Many thanks to Dominika and Linda for a unforgettable stay and to Dave the mushroom man for the education in mushrooms.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 26, 2010

Enjoyed meeting our hosts, and the good food and chats around the breakfast table. Enjoyed perusing their books in our room. Dominika gave great suggestions for our days out. They have a lovely garden, but we were out roaming rather than spending time in it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed three nights at the La Vatout in July. Each morning Dominika started us out with a delicious breakfast of eggs cooked with fresh herbs homemade bread, yummy coffee and fresh flowers on the table. This is a wonderful place to stay; clean, good food, "down home" hospitality and superb tour guide advice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I'm going to state it plainly upfront.

Le Vatout is the best bed and breakfast B (my hubby) and I have stayed in.

We have that bad habit of ranking bed and breakfasts as we stay at them-- for their luxury, for their food, for their comfort, etc. Different strengths or weaknesses can make a B&B shine or sink. Our old favorite used to be Serenbe, near Atlanta. But there was one major factor Le Vatout had that Serenbe was sorely lacking...

TOTALLY AWESOME INNKEEPERS.

Le Vatout is run by Dominika and Linda, two incredibly fascinating women. Dominika has a background in business and education and is funny, superbly knowledgeable about Mid-coast Maine, a fantastic conversationalist-- oh how I do love conversationalists and storytellers-- and an amazing cook. Linda comes from the arts; she's a fine art photographer-- her stunning work adorns the walls-- taught art history for several years, has enough energy to power a medium sized nation, and knows her way upside down and inside out a garden.

If you've never stayed at a B&B, you need to know that there're two different kinds of B&B's out there. Your happiness with your stay will in large part be dependent on making the correct choice of the two kinds--

The Luxury B&B: This kind of place is characterized by grand exteriors, formal gardens, stuffy interiors fit for tea times and "show furniture," a la boutique hotel. The Innkeeper generally acts more as a check-in/check-out person and mostly stays out of your way during your stay. There's a big flat screen TV in your room and an attached private bathroom.

The Relaxed B&B: You may be shocked to find that there's no TV in your room. There might not even be one in the B&B at all. You might have a shared bathroom with another room, down the hall and around the corner. The Innkeeper will engage you in conversation. The other guests you meet at the breakfast table or in the common room[s] in the evening will engage you as well. They'll want to know where you're from, what you did that day, what you're doing tomorrow, and you'll want to know the same about them. If you're not just passing through, you'll trade suggestions and tips about where to go and what to see. The gardens are intimate and loved. The living quarters show signs of wear, not the kind of neglect but the kind you find in a cherished family home.

Le Vatout fits squarely within the latter kind of B&B, and I wouldn't change that for the world. I'll confess, when I first discovered B&B's, I was snobby and always looked for the Luxury kind. Neither B or myself could fathom the idea of not having a television in our room to go hole up with an ignore the real world for crappy reality television. Shameful!!!

We stayed at Le Vatout for five nights-- the longest we've stayed at a B&B before-- and slept in two different rooms, The Chickadee and The Nuthatch, which shared a bathroom (down the hall and around the corner). Both had two single beds with comfortable bedding, enough room for luggage and two people to flail about putting on clothes in the morning in order to get down to the wonderful breakfast smells Dominika wafted up the stairs. The room décor was extremely pleasant, not overcrowded with cheesy knickknacks or other generic coastal themes, but rather with shelving full of excellent books, desks of rich wood, and a woven rug on the floor that felt like home.

We were welcomed into the Le Vatout fold the first day with tall glasses of sparkly lemonade. Dominika and the other guests at the table in the kitchen, which turned out to be the common hangout room, asked us all the Relaxed B&B questions and we asked back. I could immediately tell we were in for a superior treat.

I suppose I was most surprised to find that the rooms could be efficiently cooled with box fans in the windows. Coming from the deep South, where Central A/C is king, we were a bit incredulous that a wimpy looking fan would keep us from sweating all night. I ate my words, though-- the first morning I woke up completely burrowed under a den of blankets.

The breakfast table was the heart of the B&B, through and through. I've never enjoyed waking up for breakfast so much as I did at Le Vatout. Each day I opened my eyes I awoke with the excitement and anticipation of meeting new guests at table, reconnecting with the guests I met yesterday, sharing a good laugh with Dominika as she worked her magic at the stove, and enjoying the delectables she set in front of me. Even though breakfast was served between 8-9AM, we had a hard time leaving before 10AM from enjoying the conversation and breakfast table storytelling that occurred each morning. The window at the breakfast table, framed by the joyous growth of indoor plants, always showed promises of a beautiful day. The mantle, adjacent to the table, is decorated with every kind of unique object. Across from it, a large map of Mid-coast Maine hangs on the wall; Dominika would use it to send us out on adventures, to all of her secret sanctuaries where the tourists don’t think to look.

The food at Le Vatout is something else. It's hearty, savory, and very clearly made with affection. Eggs became vehicles for herbs and squash, potatoes were accompanied by mouth-watering sausage, pancakes were thick with buckwheat, blueberries, and walnuts. A local bakery, Borealis Breads, supplied a multigrain sourdough toast that was the perfect foundation and complement for Dominika's homemade jams-- rhubarb ginger and currant vanilla. (Ask her the story about the currant jam; she had us all guffawing!)

My birthday happened while we were at Le Vatout. That morning I was treated to one of those famous pancakes, extra specially loaded with blueberries on account of my birthday. Linda came through the kitchen just as Dominika mentioned lack of a birthday candle. Within seconds, Linda stuck a hot pink birthday candle in my pancake and lit it. My friends, the other guests, and the innkeepers all sang me a lively happy birthday. I blew out my candle before wax dripped off it, only to pull it out and find that the heat of the pancake had melted the inserted end of the candle! This gave us all a great laugh, and I did my best to eat all of the pancake except for the tiny little piece with the pink wax core sample. As Linda passed through the kitchen later, we told her about it and she jokingly chastised, "The attitude!" She plucked the candle from my fingertips, speared the little square of pancake with the melted end, and wandered off with it. The next few days I found it sitting in front of my place setting each morning when I came down for breakfast-- it had become the running joke.

By the time we left Le Vatout, I felt I had adopted new family in the Innkeepers. At a hotel you leave without saying much of anything. At a Luxury B&B you might shake hands with the Innkeeper. At Le Vatout, we gave tight hugs to each other. Linda walked us out to our car, squeeze-shaking B around the shoulders in hearty cheer. She gave me another hug and told me to "call home" every now and then, to keep in touch.

Who knew a B&B could have such an effect? I certainly didn't anticipate, in embarking on this trip, that I'd spend the drive home mourning the sudden departure from Le Vatout friendship, that each morning waking up at a hotel on the three day drive home, I'd immediately be struck with a sadness knowing that I wasn't going to hobble my creaky body down the stairs to the comfort and kindness of the Le Vatout kitchen. B and I miss those gals terribly.

I've kept my little pink candle in its hardened pancake square, displayed prominently in the bookshelf near my desk, a lasting mini-monument to the good humor of our trip. If I ever am blessed with a return trip to Le Vatout, I'll be sure to take it with me to mark my place at the breakfast table.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brightboldwonderful
Reviewed July 16, 2010

This was the most relaxing vacation my husband and I have had!!
The stay with Dominika & Linda was great from the wonderful food to the beautiful garden to the most wonderful, kind, entertaining and enthusiastic personalities! We couldn’t ask for a better place to rest our heads and soles!

We are looking forward to returning next year!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We recently spent almost a week at Le Vatout and left feeling like we had been adopted by Linda & Dominika. You'll enjoy a hearty breakfast with Dominika's special touches & as much conversation & friendliness as you want. The gardens are lovely & if you watch Linda sweating over them you'll understand why.
Waldoboro is an excellent place to base your midcoast Maine stay - easy access to the ocean & to delightful towns like Damariscotta & Rockland.
Our visit ended with a session of tai chi led by Linda so we left feeling relaxed, refreshed and very well cared for by these delightful women.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Le Vatout has so much to offer, but the breakfasts were, without a doubt, the highlight for me. Dominica, one of the owners and the breakfast chef, manages to create delicious breakfasts, with things from her garden and fancy ingredients, that taste like real good home cooking rather than restaurant food. What a treat and a way to start the day. Breakfast is served at the large kitchen table in a bay window overlooking the gardens. Dominica is good company as well as a good cook and will happily engage in lively conversation or leave you in peace, whichever you prefer. I preferred conversations and enjoyed them all.

The house and the gardens have that same feel of a home. The gardens are delightful and fun, meandering along natural paths. Nowhere do you find that packaged landscaped look. Thank-you. This is a gardener’s garden, and, in this case the gardener is also an artist.

I stayed in the Goldfinch room on the first floor. It’s a charming room with lots of molding, a four posted bed, a private bath, plenty of windows and fresh air, and an unusually large closet.

The location is great. Le Vatout sits in the palm of mid-coast Maine’s finger like coast line and is close to the towns of Camden, Rockport and Rockland. All are just a short pleasant drive away. I went in a different direction every day. Even visiting Mohegan Island by way of the Port Clyde ferry is an unhurried day trip.

I’m looking forward to returning the second week in August for Le Vatout’s 5-day Watercolor Workshop.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Been to Le Vatout Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!