“Dissapointing.”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Montreal, Canada
“Dissapointing.”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My boyfriend, friends and I recently had a wonderful camping trip at Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor and enjoyed some delicious seafood at a few places there. I was particularly taken by the clam chowder, and my friends by the lobster rolls. On our way back home we drove through Trenton and were all itching for one last seafood meal, so we spotted the Down East Lobster Pound and decided to try it out. In retrospect we should've gotten up and left after seeing our waitress. She was very friendly, but she reeked of cigarettes and had patches of dry, scaly skin on her exposed arms, which certainly isn't appealing to see in a restaurant. I couldn't help but wonder if any dead skin would flake off in my chowder and it decidedly curbed my appetite. We ordered nonetheless - clam chowder and coleslaw for me, lobster roll for my friends, and shrimp for my boyfriend. Immediately after being served my friend gasped at her lobster roll and showed us, with great disgust, a coarse black hair emerging from the chunks of lobster. Turned off from her meal, she returned it to the kitchen and ordered nothing to replace it. Meanwhile, I was about to try my clam chowder but recoiled when I saw what looked like rubber bands with black ends floating in a thin, oily broth. I've never seen clam chowder made with whole clams before and although there is nothing wrong with this per se it wasn't very appetizing. The consistency of the chowder itself was also way off - it wasn't thick and creamy as a chowder should be, but watery. I gave the chowder to the other, more stoic friend. To add to this, my friend went to use the bathroom at one point (it was essentially an outhouse) and was screamed at from someone within when she tried to open the door, and I never received my coleslaw. I must say though that our waitress was apologetic about the hair and we received a 10% discount and 2 slices of very good blueberry pie to make up for it. That said, our experience at the Down East Lobster Pound was pretty disappointing, and I would recommend anyone traveling through Trenton to just drive over the bridge into Bar Harbor - the seafood was much better there!

1 Thank Ultimau5

Point Pleasant, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bring earplugs”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our first stop when we arrived after a nine hour drive was this place. The lobster was okay but the mussels were small hard and cold. The blithering idiot who was apparently calling names into the microphone yelled so loud that whatever he was saying was inaudible. Every few minutes we had cover our ears. Do yourself a favor and go to the pound up the road.

1 Thank jpatflood
Bangor, Me
“Worst lobster pound”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We just had our worst experience with a lobster pound. My wife and I, son and daughter-in-law and their 2 kids age 6 and 4 went there. I ordered a $22.00 lobster dinner, my wife a 1 1/4 lobster and steamers. The rest had just lobster. Although we came at 5:00, we waited a long time. Then when my dinner came, my tiny ear of corn and my mussels were cold. The waitress and the manager said it was not possible because the lobster and the things went into the water at the same time. Perhaps they left my food out for 15 or 20 minutes? "Impossible." That was only part of the problem. My wife's clams were runny, many hadn't opened and others were broken - they hadn't been steamed long enough. Also, the lobster and stuff was just put on a tray with no place to put the shells or catch the water. To add insult to injury we then noticed there was a 20% service charge added to our bill presumably because we were 6 people (including 2 mini-people). No lobster pound is worth a 20% tip and certainly not for this disaster. A lobster pound is not a complicated affair and it should be easy to do right. I give it 2 stars because at least the lobster was good. Do yourself a favor and go to Thurston's or Trenton if you want to enjoy a lobster pound.

1 Thank Boblgal
“Good lobster, terrible bathroom”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This place was pretty rustic and I had my doubts when we pulled up.

But the food was delicious. We had the steamers as an appetizer. I've never been a fan of clams but I tried these and they were good. For dinner, I had a lobster roll and my husband had the lobster meal. The corn that came with his meal was the best we've had in a long time. My lobster roll was fabulous and my husband loved the bite of it that he took. And it was all very reasonably priced.

But I can't give this place 5 stars because the bathroom was awful.

Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hands down the best lobster”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was the best lobster dinner of our trip. And probably the most reasonable. My lobster, 2+ lbs, was cooked to perfection. So was my husband's which was a little smaller Great corn on the cob cooked in the husks. And if you miss the pie, use it as an excuse to go back. I had the triple berry a la mode and my husband the blueberry...unbelievable...the best of our trip! This is the true Maine Lobster Pound. Skip the rest...Go to the best!!!

• Visited July 2013