“Excellent - every time!”
Review of Kisma Preserve

Kisma Preserve
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I've been here several times. I pay for the primate encounter and get the best treatment from all involved. I was there today and had the best time. The animals are in excellent condition and have great enclosures with their needs being met. I've read some horrible reviews and I just have never, in the past several years, had a bad experience. As the previous poster stated, this is NOT a zoo so if you're expecting a zoo experience where you let your kids run around and scream and cause a commotion, this is not the place for you. If you want to learn about animals and be respectful of them in their environments, then definitely go. Pay the extra and get up close and personal to the animals of your choice. The money goes to their upkeep and you can learn so much from your guide. I've never been the least bit disappointed here. Today was the best experience I've ever had. I actually was feeling guilty that I was taking up too much of my guide's time! I really can't say enough good things about these people and this place.

3  Thank Dit D
in 5 reviews
"cage"
"chickens"

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is not a 'zoo', it is a preserve for rescued exotic animals, and the animals come first, not people. While some are purely rescued, others are part of planned breeding programs for endangered species. Our guide was clearly deeply dedicated to his work, loves the animals and is loved in return. He was well informed about all the animals and more than happy to share his knowledge. It is probably not suitable for young children who wish to run around and scream! Mature and quiet children with a genuine love of animals would enjoy it greatly. By visiting, one is helping to support the excellent work being done here. I will be returning.

2  Thank Shelagh D
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have driven by the Preserve so many times on our way to Bar Harbor (they say everyone says that!) but this time decided to check it out during our visit. Wow, were we glad we did! There were many more animals than we thought we'd see, and the tour guide was very knowledgeable and seemed to really enjoy talking about the work they're doing at the Preserve. I have a hard time with zoos who keep animals just for entertainment, but these animals had all been brought to the Preserve for one reason or another (mostly from people who had no business being anywhere near animals) and seem to be well taken care of where they are now. Not sure what's up with the negative reviews, we didn't find anyone to be rude or uncaring during our visit - maybe you get what you give? I'd highly recommend stopping here and checking it out - the look out front does not do the place justice. It does appear a little seedy from the road but once you're inside you are in for a real treat if you like animals!

1  Thank Jeneenhag
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The staff is absolutely rude and generally disgusting. The "head" keeper was walking around shirtless while giving the tour. The animal are kept in terrible condition and e while place really needs a visit from the health dept and the SPCA. I went wi my children and it cost us over 60 dollars for a 20 minute tour of a very heartbreaking space of caged animals. Save your money and stop supporting such a horrid establishment. To the lady at the front desk.....you are Nasty!!!! I can't believe anyone would have you as the face of their business. You were nasty to my child as she was trying to pronounce the word dog. Sorry she is 15 month old......

8  Thank Wallison
See more reviews
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Had a private tour today at kisma, was amazing and well worth the money. Our tour guide was great and knew everything about every animal there, you could really tell that the animals are treated well and loved by their caretakers. We got to experience alot of different animals up close and got to feed almost all of them,couldn't pick a best part they were all great. And as for the negatie reviews the staff was great and very hardworking expecially our guide one of the brothers(blonde), these people dedicate theyre whole life to what they do and dont want anything that will distract or annoy they're animals so it's pretty obviouse that young children who don't understand shouldnt attend. .....but anyway I don't think anyone should be scared to go there everyone was great and very friendly I highly recommend a private tour

1  Thank Julie B