“All about lobster”

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Trenton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Restaurant Closed for 2017 -Reopening Father's Day weekend, 2018 Retail Pickup and Ordering 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday - Saturday call for hours
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a clean, friendly, outdoor/indoor seating lobster pound with lobster that is tasty and fresh. It is all about lobster and if you want lobster, this is the place near Mt. Desert Island. It is very popular so do not be surprised by a wait. But, it is worth it.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

The experience was truly delightful. I was staying in Bar Harbor and wanted to have some lobster for dinner. I read the restaurant reviews in the area and decided that it was worth driving out of Mt Desert island to go to this place. I was right!

The place was full when I got in. There was a long queue of people. They serve on a first come first serve basis and are pretty efficient. They've got their ordering process well figured out. Their car park was full that I had to park across the busy road, which was not a problem. You'll recognize this place as the last lobster shack on the right hand side of the road just before you get on the Trenton bridge, the bridge that connects the mainland to Mt Desert/Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor. They have a "bbq-like" set up (big steamy pots and smokey wood-fed flame) outside the shack where the lobsters are cooked in salty sea water. Inside the shack, customers get to choose their lobsters which are then placed in a net, labeled and cooked outside in the steamy pots. The lobsters are served fresh from the boiling pots as they are pulled out of their individual nets.

I sat with an elderly couple who told me that they have been coming to Maine for vacation for the past 37 years. They obviously love lobsters and think that this place is the best in Maine. I believe them.

2  Thank MidlifeF
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have to admit, we went to the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound out of default..we were staying in Southwest Harbor, Me & our favorite Lobster Pound was closed for the season!!
Admittedly, we were glad we had to visit the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound!!!
The establishment was packed and we were unsure how the lobster would be but, we wanted our lobster while in Maine & we weren't leaving..even though they were swamped it didn't matter..the staff was courteous, professional & efficient..we started the meal with "chowda" which was excellent!! I have had many a chowder & have NEVER had it with the large amount of clams as this chowder..it also wasn't that "pastey" mess some establishments have the nerve to serve. The lobsters were FANTASTIC & cooked to perfection!! I have to add, the wait for the lobsters wasn't long at all considering the amount of people who were there..The only dissapointing thing about our meal was, they don't serve alcohol however; we did notice a table brought in a bottle of wine with them so, it is definitely a BYOB which we will remember when returning
I recommend Trenton's Bridge Lobster pound & would definitely return again

1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband has been coming here for the last 50 years, because its where his grandmother always went when she wanted fresh lobster. I've been coming the past 8 years, and I think the novelty has worn off. The lobster is usually good, but not consistently. There have been times when it was really overcooked and rubbery, and other occasions when it was perfect. I guess it depends on who is cooking. What I've really noticed is the escalating prices, and they charge for every single thing you get separately - including the tiny container of melted butter for your lobster. And while they were charging $8.99 a pound for the lobster alone, I couldn't help but notice the following day that the local markets had fresh, live lobsters for $3.99 a pound. If they weren't nickel & diming you to death for every little thing, and asking you to serve yourself and bus your own tables, I wouldn't begrudge them the $5.00 a pound more they are charging you just to cook it. . . . .but that's not the case. We took friends there last week, who commented on the abrupt, rude manner of the elderly woman behind the container (that everyone else there seems afraid of) and the miserly portions of the sides, and they were absolutely flabbergasted when told they couldn't have a fork for the $3.99 piece of blueberry pie (which WAS delicious) unless they paid for the fork, too, and that they shouldn't have thrown the one out they got with the lobster (we're talking plastic forks!) And this, after they had already handed over in excess of $130.00 for four lobster dinners. And did I mention the boring lobster stew? Thin warm milk with a couple lobster pieces thrown in with something orange and oily floating on top. Sad to say, but I think it's time to find another place up there for lobster. . . .

2  Thank oakhill3
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Indoor and outdoor seating. The lobster was reasonably priced and tasted great. Trenton ships so you can always "have fresh lobster" even at home!