“Let's do the Time Warp again!”
Review of Open Hearth Inn

Open Hearth Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Trenton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed at the Open Hearth Inn last night, and it was a bit like stepping back in time--they have old fashioned cottages much like the ones I remember as a very little boy in the Wisconsin Northwoods. The outside of them show some wear and peeling paint, but inside they are as good as new, knotty pine construction and all. Everything inside the cottage was very clean, and everything worked well. Check-in was very pleasant and starts relatively early (at 2 pm). The flipside of that is that checkout is at 10 am--earlier than I have seen in a long time. They apparently once offered a continental breakfast, but signs in the lobby and in the rooms note that they don't anymore. Food is not hard to find nearby; there are two lobster pound/restaurants within a short walking distance and there is a supermarket about a mile up Rte. 3. My cottage (#8) had both a microwave and a small fridge; the fridge came in handy. As a postcard writer, I was very pleased that they are old-school in having postcards of the property for free (some friends will be getting some soon!), like all lodging used to do. The wi-fi and small TV both worked just fine. There can be some noise from Rt. 3, though what was loudest were some airplanes landing at the nearby airport--one came in very late at night. Best of all, Open Hearth is reasonably priced in an area where a decent deal in the summer is hard to find. I was glad I chose this old-fashioned place and would gladly do the Time Warp again.

Room Tip: Different cabins have different features and different prices--you can see much of that online when...
Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Sweet sweet old fashioned cabins. Like the places you stayed as a kid. Very Nostalgic.
Clean rooms and the owners are wonderful.. If you like a hard mattress you'll be happy. They are very very firm. The grounds are gorgeous. The hot tub, all I can say was incredibly wonderful amazing!.. The homemade muffins divine.. I don't eat carbs, but my husband raved about them. The owner made them every morning. They smelled and looked heavenly!!!

Room Tip: WE loved cabin 7!!! :)
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Great value close to Bar Harbor and Acadia. We stayed in Cottage 7 which had an efficiency kitchen which we enjoy when travelling on a longer trip - saves lots on eating in restaurants every day. The cottage was well laid out and had everything we would need for our stay. The owners were very helpful and customer oriented. The Jacuzzi was clean and looked very new. We certainly enjoyed it our first evening there after a long drive! The cottage was clean and the bed was comfortable. TV was very small but we didn't care as we weren't on vacation to watch tv, we were there to tour the area. I would certainly recommend this place to anyone and would be more than happy to stay there again in future. We were disappointed to see a for sale sign on the lawn on our way to our next destination on our trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank megjo73
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in late May. We stayed in a cabin. The cabin was clean and cozy. The TV was no bigger than my laptop screen but it was adequate. There were a few things that needed updating and the property had a for sale sign up so things could change. We hoped to leave a day earlier and stay closer to Bar Harbor but they wouldn't let us out of our reservation. We saw that we could get a room closer to the water and Bar Harbor for about the same price. They didn't have a breakfast, there was a sign explaining that they had discontinued it. The hot tub was sparkling clean and pleasant. The owners were pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights June 1 checked out June 3. What a terrific place. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. To me it was hot and they have not installed a/c yet so they gave me a fan to help cool the cottage down. Although there was a ceiling fan (I did not notice) they were very accommodating with the fan. Me I would have said did you see the ceiling fan in your room but not them they truly are for the guest that stay there. We had a couple kid shirts and clothes on our bed when we left to go to Acadia and when we got back to our room the beds were made and the clothes folded what a great 1st impression to come back to our room. I would recommend this inn to anyone who is staying in the area. They may not be the best, or the most expesive inn but the are all about customer satisfaction and making your stay the best they can Thank you guys. Hope to come back soon

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank smky2876
OpenHearthInn, Owner at Open Hearth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for those wonderful comments, we appreciate you taking the time to review the Open Hearth Inn and we're pleased you had a good time! We have installed air conditioner units in all rooms, thanks for the hint, we often think it's still cool in the evening (in the mid 50's still), but the units can get hot during the day and sometimes I wait too long to get the A/C units installed. I'll think earlier next year! Regards, Chuck and Sue

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My Husband booked here for 2 nights to take our grand kids to Acadia. We stayed in cottage 1. Although not what we expected and very small especially with 4 people it was very pleasant, we were only going to be sleeping anyway so size not important. the staff were very nice accommodating and helpful. There are no Air conditioners in cottage yet as not hot enough so the staff went out got some screens and put a fan it to accommodate my husband talk about service. They were great! It is a non smoking facility but they did not mind us smoking outside. They allowed the kids to run around and enjoyed themselves. My husband works at a 3 star hotel so he is very particular and picky. We would recommend every one to stay here. Its very hard to travel with a 2 year old boy who loves to be a boy with running, jumping, etc the staff seemed to enjoy every minute of it which made our stay and vacation truly relaxing and enjoying thank you!!!!

Room Tip: room was great
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Tom R, Owner at Open Hearth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2015

Thanks for your great review!! We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us!! This place is about as kid friendly as it gets!! Summer 2016 we hope to have our fire pit up and going for those great evening camp fires!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

In Oct 2013 me and my wife stayed in this B&B for two nights. What a pleasant surprise! Even thought Acadia was closed due to govt shutdown we still decided to went ahead with our trip just to see Maine coast and foliage.

I never stayed at a B&B before so I was not sure what to expect. Cottage given to us was very nice and cute! It has got some old charm to it and décor is quite tasteful. Breakfast items are decent and hosts are managing the property quite well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trenton
9 mi away
#1 of 3 in Trenton
Sunnyside Motel & Cottages
Sunnyside Motel & Cottages
#31 of 42 in Bar Harbor

Been to Open Hearth Inn? Share your experiences!