“Hidden Gem close to Bar Harbor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Open Hearth Inn

Open Hearth Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Trenton B&B and Inns
Mississauga, Canada
“Hidden Gem close to Bar Harbor!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Great value close to Bar Harbor and Acadia. We stayed in Cottage 7 which had an efficiency kitchen which we enjoy when travelling on a longer trip - saves lots on eating in restaurants every day. The cottage was well laid out and had everything we would need for our stay. The owners were very helpful and customer oriented. The Jacuzzi was clean and looked very new. We certainly enjoyed it our first evening there after a long drive! The cottage was clean and the bed was comfortable. TV was very small but we didn't care as we weren't on vacation to watch tv, we were there to tour the area. I would certainly recommend this place to anyone and would be more than happy to stay there again in future. We were disappointed to see a for sale sign on the lawn on our way to our next destination on our trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank megjo73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Salem, Utah
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in late May. We stayed in a cabin. The cabin was clean and cozy. The TV was no bigger than my laptop screen but it was adequate. There were a few things that needed updating and the property had a for sale sign up so things could change. We hoped to leave a day earlier and stay closer to Bar Harbor but they wouldn't let us out of our reservation. We saw that we could get a room closer to the water and Bar Harbor for about the same price. They didn't have a breakfast, there was a sign explaining that they had discontinued it. The hot tub was sparkling clean and pleasant. The owners were pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
maine
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights June 1 checked out June 3. What a terrific place. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. To me it was hot and they have not installed a/c yet so they gave me a fan to help cool the cottage down. Although there was a ceiling fan (I did not notice) they were very accommodating with the fan. Me I would have said did you see the ceiling fan in your room but not them they truly are for the guest that stay there. We had a couple kid shirts and clothes on our bed when we left to go to Acadia and when we got back to our room the beds were made and the clothes folded what a great 1st impression to come back to our room. I would recommend this inn to anyone who is staying in the area. They may not be the best, or the most expesive inn but the are all about customer satisfaction and making your stay the best they can Thank you guys. Hope to come back soon

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank smky2876
OpenHearthInn, Owner at Open Hearth Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for those wonderful comments, we appreciate you taking the time to review the Open Hearth Inn and we're pleased you had a good time! We have installed air conditioner units in all rooms, thanks for the hint, we often think it's still cool in the evening (in the mid 50's still), but the units can get hot during the day and sometimes I wait too long to get the A/C units installed. I'll think earlier next year! Regards, Chuck and Sue
Auburn, Maine
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My Husband booked here for 2 nights to take our grand kids to Acadia. We stayed in cottage 1. Although not what we expected and very small especially with 4 people it was very pleasant, we were only going to be sleeping anyway so size not important. the staff were very nice accommodating and helpful. There are no Air conditioners in cottage yet as not hot enough so the staff went out got some screens and put a fan it to accommodate my husband talk about service. They were great! It is a non smoking facility but they did not mind us smoking outside. They allowed the kids to run around and enjoyed themselves. My husband works at a 3 star hotel so he is very particular and picky. We would recommend every one to stay here. Its very hard to travel with a 2 year old boy who loves to be a boy with running, jumping, etc the staff seemed to enjoy every minute of it which made our stay and vacation truly relaxing and enjoying thank you!!!!

Room Tip: room was great
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tom R, Owner at Open Hearth Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2015
Thanks for your great review!! We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us!! This place is about as kid friendly as it gets!! Summer 2016 we hope to have our fire pit up and going for those great evening camp fires!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 11, 2014

In Oct 2013 me and my wife stayed in this B&B for two nights. What a pleasant surprise! Even thought Acadia was closed due to govt shutdown we still decided to went ahead with our trip just to see Maine coast and foliage.

I never stayed at a B&B before so I was not sure what to expect. Cottage given to us was very nice and cute! It has got some old charm to it and décor is quite tasteful. Breakfast items are decent and hosts are managing the property quite well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was staying all the way in Bangor and going to Acadia National Park (about an hour drive). On my way to Acadia, I passed the adorable Open Hearth cabins, which were only a few miles from Acadia. (What really attracted me was something the owner had written on the marquee, and that I agreed with!) The places were SO cute and well-kept, I quickly called and got the #1 cabin for 2 nights. Both the Innkeepers were very nice. At first I spoke to her, then during my stay I spoke with him - very nice people.

My cabin was quite cozy. It is only 1 room, small but nice. It had 2 double beds, a dresser, and a couple little tables. The place is all wood - kind of rustic - and the floor is carpeted. The sheets and towels were clean, and the whole place was spotless. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. It was cold when I was there (October 12 & 13, 2013), and there is a heater that you turn on at the wall. At first, it didn’t seem efficient, but then it heated the room nicely. In fact, we had to turn the heat off during the night as it got a tad warm in there. There was good, free wi-fi and plenty of parking.

The bathroom is small, but functional. The shower is very small, but it had plenty of hot water and that’s all that mattered.

In the morning, there is a minimal continental breakfast. There were real hard boiled eggs (not those packaged ones – I knew they were real because they had the shell still on them - I liked that). There were a few muffins, some oatmeal, and hot coffee and juice. There are 3 small tables in the main house to sit at and have your breakfast. I had a good cup of coffee, but opted to go into Bar Harbor for breakfast; there are plenty of good breakfast places there.

I would definitely stay here again. The price was insanely reasonable! For my 2 nights the total was $183.00 (less than $100 a night). I had priced a Best Western a couple miles up the road and the rate there was $150 PER night. I was very happy with the rate of this cute little cabin.

Oh, most important. The location is awesome. It's just a quick drive up the road to the entrance to Acadia National Park (about 7 or 8 miles). And Bar Harbor is just a tad further. Exceptional location if you are going to the National Park.

Room Tip: I was in the # 1 cabin and I loved it. That's the only one I can speak for.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Scotia, NY
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Last year My wife, my adult son and I stayed in a cottage. Small and cozy but the bathroom was a bit small but for one night it was fine. My review then would have given it 4 stars.
This year we stayed three nights in one of the Loge rooms, D and it was perfect for the three of us and if our other son has come with us, we still would have had plenty of room. The only drawback would be if you don't wish to climb stairs, There is a deck however to relax in should you want to be outdoors. The owners Chuck and Sue were again friendly, pleasant and helpful. The continental breakfast was exactly what we needed before heading out for a day at the park. Coffee, tea, juice, yogurts, cereal, fruit and the never ending muffins made hot and fresh each morning. There is an IGA supermarket/gas station a 1/4 mile away and as you've read from other reviews, the entrance to Acadia National Park is only a 15 minute drive. Should we again visit Acadia, we will stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ScotiaCantor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trenton
Belle Isle Motel
Acadia Sunrise Motel
Acadia Sunrise Motel
#1 of 3 in Trenton
Narrows Too Camping Resort

Been to Open Hearth Inn? Share your experiences!