“So-So”
Review of Sea Dog Brewery

Sea Dog Brewery
Ranked #2 of 31 Restaurants in Topsham
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bowdoin Center, Maine, United States
“So-So”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have been to the Sea Dog Brewing Co. in Bangor as well as Topsham and generally have a good experience, but went last night and didn't enjoy my meal as much. I ordered the crab and havarti grilled cheese and it was okay, but the sandwich was very soggy on the bottom which ruined the perfect golden brown toasting on it, and the cheese was almost non-existent. As a cheese enthusiast, I like a lot of melty cheese on my grilled cheese sandwich, and I could barely taste it on this one! The lobster rangoons were good but not something I would order again. The sweet potato fries were very yummy. My husband had the fish and chips and said it was good. Went with my parents who had the mussels, which were VERY good, and the seafood stuffed haddock, also delicious. I might go again but would pick a different entree next time. Server was very polite and attentive.

• Visited May 2013

Augusta, Maine, United States
“Had better”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

There were 7 of us that went for Mother's Day. The food was OK but not hot. A couple of us ordered french onion soup and it was just luke warm. Our food took over an hour to be delivered to our table. When it got there nothing was hot. I think the waitress had a few too many tables and could not handle all of them. Someone else brought out our food. We had had our drinks for about 10 minutes when another table was filled a few feet from us. There were served their food before we were. Not really sure how long our order sat on the counter in the kitchen but it seemed that our waitress spent more time taking drink orders and less time worrying about food from the kitchen. Will probably not go back seeing as it was for a special occasion.

• Visited May 2013
Montreal
“Ocean Cloud”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

You can take the dog out of the sea but when you’re on the Maine coast, the sea ain’t going nowhere. And the Sea Dog brewpub sticks to its oceanic inclination by offering on its menu, many treasures from the adjacent Atlantic. After sampling a pint of their fine IPA, I ordered a tuna sandwich that is not on the regular menu but was part of the daily specials presented on a separate card. My wife ordered from the same list but chose to go with a chicken and sausage ravioli dish rather than rely on the fishy items. She unfortunately regretted her choice as the “sausage” that was quite abundant was of the very processed kind, bearing a reddish color that reminded more of a fire truck than of actual finely crafted food with prime ingredients. The chicken morsels and the ravioli itself were okay, as was the sauce in which the whole production was smothered.

My sandwich however, I did not regret. On the menu, it said that it was served medium-rare but upon ordering, I told the nice waiter that I really didn’t mind if it was just seared and left sashimi (or tataki) style in the middle. He broke a knowing smile, added a quasi-wink and said “gotcha” which I favorably interpreted as a “Welcome back to Maine” statement. And it came as promised. Freshness was evident due to the tuna pavé’s almost raw state. Served on a fresh ciabatta bun, every bite exuded flavor, the flavor I was craving. So much in fact that the fixings surrounding the sandwich are but a vague distant memory. There may have been nice crispy fries and some salad to go along, but honestly, the tuna obfuscated the rest. Except for that second pint of delicious IPA of course. Overall, a satisfactory experience. I even brought back a t-shirt! Oh, and the service was excellent and very friendly. But the tuna…heavenly.

• Visited March 2013
Harwinton, Connecticut
“Love at first sip ;o)”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

What more could you ask for? A wide selection of craft beer (our faves were the Porter and limited run Imperial Stout - best beer ever, says my sea dog, who also said the stout had a deep rich flavor reminiscent of brandy and figs). We ate Sirloin Beef Tips with Stilton, Mushrooms, Asparagus, and pasta, which was excellent, and blackened haddock fish tacos which were good but not great. Slivered onion rings and sweet potato fries were cooked to perfection. Our waiter provided excellent service, as did the chef when he/she remade the the entire beef dinner when the first dish was not to my liking. The extra service was much appreciated. To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the ambience because I was too busy enjoying my dinner companion, my food, and the excellent beer. Not the place for a quiet romantic dinner, but if you're thirsty for some fine beer and hungry for some tasty food, head over to the Sea Dog immediately.

• Visited March 2013
Bangor, ME
“Good food but noisy”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The food was good and it was an interesting atmosphere being inside an old converted woolen mill but it was very load. The brick walls and metal girders made for a lot of sound reflection. It was hard to carry on a conversation but we still had a good time.

Visited March 2013