“A lovely place with good food and service -- what more could you ask?”
Review of Thomaston Cafe

Thomaston Cafe
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Thomaston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Farm to table. Locally sourced foods with fresh baked goods. Specializing in local beef, lamb, and pork.
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We had three meals here in one week. The restaurant in sleepy Thomaston is a delight. They bake their own bread and desserts. The food is a good value and the service is friendly and attentive. Vegetarians have some good options here. We enjoyed grilled halibut, crab cakes, great bread and pie. We also had terrific sandwiches, including a vegetarian reuben.

2  Thank dcdame
There are newer reviews for Thomaston Cafe

Reviewed August 24, 2008

This place is adorable - little storefront cafe in downtown Thomaston. Homey atmosphere and tastey food and good service. We had excellent quiche and fish cakes. Definitely worth a trip - it is cozily decorated and takes you back to a more simple time! Interesting art on the walls, a small used book shelf and small town charm!

2  Thank lubumbashi13
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 15, 2007

Breakfast, not dinner.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed October 14, 2006

Located on Route 1 in downtown Thomaston, the corner cafe has the ambience of a local, comfortable place for lunch.

I arrived just before noon and caught the staff competely off guard when I asked about the lunch specials. Waiting for someone to write them on a piece of paper, I thought coffee would have been nice. Not so. Finally, I was shown a piece of paper with the specials written on it. Soon thereafter, someone else asked me if I was through with the paper, and took it to show another waiting customer.

A second ten minutes went by as I waited for someone to see if I was there to eat, or just read my magazine. Turned out I was there to eat, so my order was placed and I began another round of waiting.

There followed a series of small things that made the lack of service almost comical, but when the soup and salad arrived, with the wrong salad dressing, which the waitress realized after a while, I tried the soup. She returned to say they were out of blue cheese dressing and gave me back the original one she had brought, which turned out to be very good.

Well, the soup was absolutely wonderful! It was a roasted squash bisque, and the salad and homemade bread rounded out the meal. The price with iced tea was just under $8, and even with some of the worst service around, it was a worthwhile meal.

As I waited, and waited, for the check, I spotted a diner waiting for the same thing. After I commented that I thought the food was good but the service needed a makeover, she said the food was always very good, but she didn't come in often because the service was so poor.

I would return if I was in the area and had a lot of extra time to devote to the waiting game the Thomaston Cafe requires, for all of its paying customers.

29  Thank Quality1989