“A superb lunch! Vegan choices!”
Review of Thomaston Cafe

Thomaston Cafe
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Thomaston
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Farm to table. Locally sourced foods with fresh baked goods. Specializing in local beef, lamb, and pork.
Oxford, Connecticut, United States
“A superb lunch! Vegan choices!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I had lunch at this delightful spot for our 7th anniversary. The food is delicious, with options for everyone. My husband had a cup of the haddock chowder, a panko-breaded haddock sandwich, and blueberry pie a la mode. I started with a delicious chilled berry soup, a vegetarian reuben (without the cheese), and chocolate tofu mousse with raspberry sauce. Everything was absolutely perfect - an unexpected treasure!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Dawn A

“Great local haunt.”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Upon the recommendation of friends, we dropped by the Thomaston Cafe for lunch on a very rainy vacation day in Mid-Coast Maine. The place was packed and we were lucky to get a table. I ordered the fish cakes that our friends raved about. They were slightly undercooked, but tasty. We also had a vegetarian Ruben that was terrific. Coffee was good and the atmosphere congenial.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank aggada
Vinalhaven, Maine
“Mixed Reviews”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I ate breakfast here this Sunday and had very different takes on the place. I loved the coffee: strong and robust. I had the eggs benedict and it was one of the best I've ever eaten. Lovely hollandaise. Great homefries. I was happy.

My wife had the haddock fishcakes which she sent back because they hadn't been cooked enough and even then they really tasted off. They tasted as if the skin had been added to the batter: unpleasant old-fish taste. She only ate a couple of bites. We've eaten a lot of fishcakes in Maine and Newfoundland and like them. These were unpalatable, so much so that we worried afterward that we might get sick, but we didn't. I needed a Tic-Tac, though, to get the taste out of my mouth.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank petoq
Marlborough NH
“A real gem!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

On our way home, looking for breakfast we found this little gem in this little town. The menu for breakfast is imaginative and creative. Freshly squeezed OJ, eggs perfectly cooked, great waffles! And warm, efficient service. If we lived closer, we'd definitely be back!

1 Thank phey
Chapel Hill, NC
“Wonderful food in comfortable environment”
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We have been coming to the Penobscot Bay area since 2004 and always make sure we pay a few visits to the Thomaston Cafe. The food is well seasoned and prepared. Each year I make sure I eat the delightful crab cakes. They are the best I have had in Maine. The pies are a treat. I am partial to the wild blueberry. The bread is made on location and is also something special. You will not be disappointed if you eat here.

1 Thank billyboy39