“The 80's called, they want their wooden crafts back”

Maine State Prison Store
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Thomaston
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I hate to say that, but I was a bit disappointed. There was a lot of great craftsmanship and a few nice items. Having flown into boston, the idea of adding a 8lb cutting board to my bag wasn't jumping out at me but If I would have driven, I would have grabbed a few. Other than that I found a lot of the items a bit dated and perhaps something my parents would have picked up in an early 80's craft fair. It's free and worth a visit.

All reviews
"prices are very reasonable"
in 11 reviews
"bar harbor"
in 3 reviews
"bunk beds"

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Wooden cutting boards, toys, furniture and more made by prisoners. Always a good place to check in, great for Christmas presents.

1  Thank dlbeach
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Very nice wood working products. Everything from toy boats to furniture and even a mermaid on a motorcycle for sale. I would say worth a stop. It is unique.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

we haven't been here for a few years but we made it a point to stop this year and what a great stop. many new items for sale at reasonable prices and all hand made. if your into old schooners they have several on display that really are well done. also some very good furniture items and of course some funny items, take a break along u.s. highway 1 and stop in.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I visited the Maine State Prison Store during a road trip on US 1. I was driving north bound to go to Bar Harbor, and received a recommendation to check out the store in Thomaston on the way up.

It was intriguing to hear that there was a store selling crafts made by inmates of the state prison. Initially I thought this was more gimmicky; but after visiting the store and getting several items from there, I gained appreciation of the wonderful crafts that they had available for purchase there. There were many wooden crafts -- small and large -- that you could purchase from the store at reasonable price. I think these were great ideas to get as souvenirs from a visit to Maine as supposed to purchasing something similar (but not as unique in terms of its origin) at higher price from souvenir shops in tourist towns.