“One Fine Pour!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Billy's Tavern
Cuisines: American
Description: Traditional, family-owned, family-friendly, Irish Tavern.Free Live music every Friday and Saturday and Traditional music jam Sundays from 3:00-6:00 PM. Serves fine whiskeys, imported and domestic beer and wine, local oysters and traditional pub fare.Our motto is eat, drink and be local!
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I'm new to the Mid-Coast, and I'm continually impressed with the caliber of restaurants/bars in the area.

Billy's Tavern is no exception. This place is relatively new, found just off Route 1 behind the main block in Thomaston (a few miles from Rockland).

I've only been to Billy's once (so far!) and it was really, really good. Having just moved back to Maine from Boston, and having spent some time in Ireland, I'm quite familiar with the Irish pub.

Is Billy's the most Irish pub in the States I've ever been to? No. It's rather sizeable and bright (not your typical Irish pub), has an extraordinarly clean bathroom (go figure), and doesn't have certain things on the menu you might expect (full Irish breakfast with black/white pudding, curry fries, etc) but what it does have is excellent. I had a simple BBQ chicken sandwich w/fries and my wife had the chicken pot pie -- both were phenomenal. The menu states that, whenever possible, it gets it's provisions from local purveyors (like Mainely Poultry and Curtis Meats in Warren, and Morses' Sauerkraut in Waldoboro), and it definitely shows.

And the Guinness was perfect...just the right temperature...and the right pour (it took a full 5 minutes to get our beer). They also have some great specials (like a pint with 1/2 dozen local oysters for $9). They also have Boddington's on tap...which you rarely see. Billy himself came by while we were there..making sure everything was ok.

Overall, Billy's is a great place...will definitely be back often...especially for some of the live music.