“Nice for German dinner”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We have eaten here a couple of times. The inside is cozy, especially in colder weather, and there are some very good German items on the menu. They also are the only casual place in town that serves alcohol. Their ice cream is fine too, though not as good as in Port Clyde. But the seafood baskets were just okay, and the deck isn't as pleasant a place to sit as it looks, with occasional noise and smells from the trailer behind the restaurant..

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I found this little gem while lost on a photography trip with a friend a couple of years ago! It's a small roadside restaurant and pub! Not only do they serve seafood, they also serve THE BEST GERMAN fare in all of Maine! The German meals are authentically prepared by who else but a lovely German woman! There are sausages, Jaegerschnitzle, cooked purple cabbage and Spaetzle (? Spelling)! I adore the Jaegerschnitzle so I have not tried anything yet.
In addition to a wonderful meal, they also have a large assortment of Beer!
There is, of course, a dining room to eat inside. There is also a large deck, partially covered for eating outdoors! Motorcyclists are welcome! Employees are very friendly and lots of fun.
There is even a water bowl on the deck for your canine buddies!
If in the area, or looking for a great meal, please try The Happy Clam! The meals are delicious, there is a great atmosphere and prices are good!
I think it would be difficult to find anything less then awesome on the menu! Try it, you will not be sorry!

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I was extremely disappointed with this restaurant. Upon arrive, it looked like a fun place. After getting the menu, we noticed how pricey the items were. We were hopeful that the portions would make up the difference in the price of the meals. It did not AT ALL. For example, the fried mushrooms were $8.99 and I think there were 12 mushrooms. That is almost $1 a piece! The haddock chowder was horrible, 1 piece of haddock 1" x 2". I think they used some of the canned chowder mix. I asked for ketchup and when I got it, I know that it had been watered down previously! This was the worst dining experience I have had in a long time. Very disappointed :( Would NOT recommend!

Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

This place had indoor and outdoor seating.

Our waitress was nice and friendly, but I felt kind of ignored. She didn't check in on us after we got out drinks until we got our food. No one in our party got any alchoholic drinks, either, which is probably something they're known for.

My prime rib (only available on fridays and saturdays) was good and hearty. However, the mashed potatoes were made in a way I'm not used to, (maybe the German way?). Big portions, too!

The indoors may not look like much, but the food makes up for it.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This isn't a fancy place but the food is good, beer selection decent and the outside tables are pet friendly. We arrived by boat and the "Happy Clam" is just a short walk up the hill from the town landing. The menu has your typical seaside selections and some German specialties. We sat outside with our two dogs. Service was fast and friendly. My wife had the lobster roll and I had the clam roll. Both were very generous portions and