“I love this place. You would have to go far to beat the food!”
Review of The Lazy Toad Inn

The Lazy Toad Inn
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We have been to the toad a couple of times for meals. Once on my birthday for lunch, and once on New Years Day. This time we decided to stay a night as well. The inn has 5 rooms all of which I expect are of a beautifully decorated standard. We chose 'badgers room' ( all the rooms have names from Wind in the Willows). I love a decadent bath when I have a night away from home, hence why we chose this room. The facilities are well appointed and no expense has been spared on the beds. Ours was very soft and squashy with down feather bedding. The food as always is of restaurant standard, and damn good restaurant at that. They produce their own eggs from their own ducks chickens and geese, and have an extensive veg and salad patch. They also grow seasonal fruits, so at all times of the year there are recipes with fresh seasonal ingredients. The menus are imaginative and beautifully prepared. You must eat here even if you don't stay! Fridays and Saturdays are busy so it's advisable to book. We stayed on a Wednesday and the dining room was full. The decor is rustic and cozy, and they have a ' no background music' policy, so if you want a pub with noise this isn't the one for you!
If you want a warm welcome, good selection of wines beers etc and the most delicious food, then go to the toad.
Brilliant.

1  Thank Pusscat121
There are newer reviews for The Lazy Toad Inn

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Daughter just started ay Exeter Uni and we needed a country pub ( dad lives in Dubai) that served Pork and Good Bitter to celebrate her Birthday. Found lazy toad on Tripadvisor and booked for Sunday Lunch.
Lovely spot 10 minute drive from her Halls, wonderful choices of beers ( wife drove home !!).
Food and Service were spot on and the surrounding "estate" was quiet , even the future dinner in the field were quietly going about their business.

We will be back and next time will stay over rather than do the 7 hour return trip on a Sunday

1  Thank BlightyinDubai
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were looking for a place where we could meet as a family near Exeter as we were all coming from different directions,this place had excellent reviews on trip advisor and as that is my bible a booking for 7 was made. Perfect, beautiful setting,very friendly attentive staff,a chat with the chef Ollivier and then a devine meal, the beef was to die for flavoursome, tender and still pink at 2.30pm, the risotto was perfect and the gingerbread pudding was mmmmmmmmmmmm Oh and i forgot to mention the glorious mushroom pate and the cheese souflee as starters,I cannot recommend this place too highly and i will booking a return visit very shortly---its a must!

1  Thank Tony190822
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed and ate here in this tastefully modernised old pub last weekend on the basis of friends' recommendation. Driving to Exeter is never fun - the main problem with the West Country, but the friendly welcome from the owners, nice atmosphere, great meal, and very comfortable room, almost made it worth it!
The pub only has few rooms, but can accommodate many more diners, and is only a few miles from central Exeter, on the University side of town. Food, prepared mainly from locally-sourced produce (both meat and vegetables), was really good, and neither over-priced nor over-complicated - both often a problem with 'smart' pubs in the South of England. Great beer and of course cider, too!
Our room was large, and very tastefully furnished, with a decent bathroom - though no fixed shower - no problem for us, but possibly for some guests. The 'toad' theme is rather fun - though nothing lazy about the service!
I almost hesitated to put in this review, as I guess it'll mean they will get booked up. We will certainly try to visit again when down that way.

2  Thank NewickChap
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I looked up The Lazy Toad on this website, wanting to give a new place a try. I am an absolute food fanatic, and so I love to try new and interesting things, and experience food at new places every time I go out. At first, I thought 'Oh, this will just be like a normal pub. Pub food etc.' I was very wrong.

The pub itself is absolutely lovely. Great design and interior, showing the owners' love for the place. The garden is especially nice, particularly the overhanging grape vines as you walk through to the entrance. Very nice, and already it felt particularly special.

On entering, we were greated promptly with a smile, and offered a drink. The wine selection is ok, but our choice was recommended by the barman. It was a very good choice I have to say. Only a small number of tables are available, so it is best to book in advance. We were promptly given menus and offered a table - all very good service, and shows an amazing level of customer care.

The food itself was amazing. I had a sea bass dish which was out of this world! So tasty, perfectly cooked, and for the price (around £17) it was well worth it! I was blown away by the technical expertise of the chef, and the real passion that was shown by the obvious pleasure taken in making in the dish. I want to pass on a big thanks to the chef for making the evening particularly special.

As a treat for my parents, it was amazing. I am only 20, and I didn't feel like I was overlooked at all by the staff. I was treated with a high level of respect, and had an amazing night.

Thanks to the staff for what was a brilliant experience, rivalling many high-class restaurants in the area. I will be sure to return.

2  Thank Sam B