“No frills, but everything you need”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Spillover Motel

Spillover Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Stratton
Bartlett, New Hampshire
“No frills, but everything you need”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We planned a last minute ski trip to Sugarloaf during Christmas week because we got a big snowstorm. We'd hoped to stay at the resort, but they were booked. The folks there recommended we check out the Spillover Motel. I called on Christmas Day and booked for the following two nights. This is a family run motel, and the folks were incredibly warm, friendly and helpful.

Two of us, friends, got one room with two beds. The room was definitely simple, no frills, but everything was modern and extremely clean. The bathroom was small but entirely adequate. The entire building appeared to have been recently renovated. We were there on a very cold night and the heat was fine--new heating system with a thermostat in the room.

We brought a bunch of food in a cooler and stored it in the downstairs kitchen area. It has two refrigerators, a full kitchen with everything you need to prepare/eat a meal, and plenty of storage. Again, it is nothing fancy, but perfect if you are planning on eating some meals in and want a good place to prepare things. Kind of like a motel/hostel combo. There was another family there while we were making dinner, and we all ended up watching part of a movie they'd brought while we ate. Very homey feeling.

If you are looking for a fancy place with lots of resort-type amenities, this probably isn't your place. If you are looking for a reasonably priced motel with wonderful staff, clean rooms, and a well cared for feel, this might be your spot. If you are trying to save a little money and cook your own meals, this place is perfect.

I would definitely come back for a similar type of trip. If I was looking for a fancy, more romantic place to stay, I'd probably go elsewhere. But I can't say I'm usually headed to Stratton, ME for frills and pampering :)

Room Tip: If you want to use the kitchen, ask for a room near it. It has a separate entrance from outside.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank 445K_M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sheffield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

After paying a rate that was rather steep for a room with no amenities, I found out there are no microwaves or mini-refridgerators in the rooms. Instead, I was shown a room in the basement which had a kitchen, television and furniture and told this was available. The woman made it very clear that although they allowed me to have a dog in the room, I would not be permitted to use this room because it meant I'd have to leave my dog unattended. I had to leave my dog in the car while having the continental breakfast. The television was small and of the old type. Towels and soaps were plentiful, but no shampoo. What saved this room from being unacceptable is the level of cleanliness. It was much appreciated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank agerygirl
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Spillover Motel in Stratton, Maine was the ideal break place when we were hiking the Appalachian Trail two weeks ago. There are other places in Stratton that cater to hikers but, because we had two cars and were 'slackpacking' most of the Trail, we found the Spillover to be ideal for us. We stayed there for three nights. The motel is rather removed from the main town so a vehicle is necessary. The motel is very clean, double beds are comfortable, a continental-type breakfast is served at 7 am, and the staff is very friendly and cooperative. The rates are reasonable ($55/night for seniors). Highly recommend this motel. Great rates during ski season also and a short drive to Sugarloaf Mountain.

Room Tip: Logging trucks start traveling Route 27 very early; choose a room on the back side of the motel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank HoweJa
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Had a last minute delivery of some freight from Boston to Eustis, Maine and luckily the Spillover had a room available. Very clean, spacious and comfortable! Office personnel was very helpful in showing me the full kitchen and other ammenties for all guest to utilize during their stay. Great place for families and sledding. I traveled alone but would bring family next time. If skiing at Sugarloaf and want to stay off slope this may fit the bill:)

Room Tip: Plenty of room in #5
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

This map is not for the spill over located on rt. 27 in Stratton, Maine. Great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2011
4 Thank Mainebuttahfly
Glenburn Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

My husband and I wanted to get away for a quick ski trip and stay over near Saddleback Mtn.
A friend of mine suggested the Spillover Motel and we had such a great time we're going back in the next few weeks. The location was great, near both Saddleback and Sugarloaf, the rooms were neat, clean and cozy. Breakfast was definitely all you need to start the day and the staff was very friendly. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CarolMurphy
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We were staying at the Spillover motel with my mom, my 2 years old son and my husband.
We were impressed with the quality, especially considering the very reasonable price. The room was well furnished and decorated, pretty comfortable, the view around the hotel was nice, we even saw a grand heron flying nearby. We had 2 meals at a small restaurant near the hotel (Looney moose), the food was GREAT and low price! The staff was friendly and took care of my 2 years old son.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratton
The Rangeley Inn
Rangeley Lake Resort, a Festiva Resort
The Inn on Winter' Hill
The Inn on Winter' Hill
#1 of 2 in Kingfield

Been to Spillover Motel? Share your experiences!