“Charming, casual and comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Penny's B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stonington
Penny's B & B
Ranked #4 of 4 Stonington B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Charming, casual and comfortable”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in the room with private deck with a wonderful view and lots of privacy. No one else was staying at the B&B so we had the place to ourselves. Yes, the second floor bath is quite *cozy* but everything else is perfect. Penny and Christine were very helpful recommending various restaurants to visit. We were spending a couple of nights in Stonington before heading to Isle au Haut and this was perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DSBAKKER

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed just one night solo here recently and really enjoyed my visit. Great location and cute, comfortable room. I'm easy going. I didn't mind the small bath upstairs or having to go downstairs to shower in the much larger bathroom. I was warmly greeted by Josh, the sweet resident yellow lab. There is lots of beautiful art and artificacts around to look at and a great selection of Maine art books to peruse. Breakfast was simple and 'help yourself'. If you want to be catered to and pampered, this isn't the place. If you love art, aren't too picky and want to feel like your visiting old friends, you'll like this place just fine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Farmie63
belfast
Reviewed October 7, 2012

i arrived there in Oct....not the height of the season but was given a small room facing an old Mobil garage. There was popcorn on the floor from a previous guest, a very small bathroom, in the hall & no heat & a musty smell in this old house.
The breakfast consisted of coffee...no half & half..all out, cold cereal, a couple of english muffins in a plastic bag & 4 oversized, store bought muffins sitting out on the table overnight. We had to start the coffee ourselves at 7:30 since the manager was no where to be found. We ate our cold cereal & checked out. We stayed another 2 nights at a B&B up the road & we very pleased with the gracious owner, the delicious home cooked breakfast, the view & the room. that was called Pres du Port which I would happily recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank GuadalupeBelfast
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I traveled in New England for one month. We traveled Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. We stayed in three bed and breakfast and two different motels. We learned that bed and breakfasts vary tremendously and take on the personality of their owner or owners.

The following plaque is located downstairs by the staircase and front door.

GUESTS

Ye are welcome here,
be at ease.
Go to bed when you are ready,
get up when you please.
Happy to share with you,
such as we got.
The leak in the roof,
the soup in the pot.
Ye don’t have to thank us
or laugh at our jokes.
Sit deep and come often
You’re one of the folks.

This plaque pretty much tells you what to expect. One morning we did not come down
for breakfast until 11 a.m. Our late breakfast wasn’t a problem for Penny. When we arrived in the dining room she went about setting things out for us.

Soon after we arrived Penny greeted us and it wasn’t long before Josh (a blonde 12 year- old Lab) showed up to greet us. Josh is laid back and very well behaved.

Penny is an artist and a relaxed person and both are evident throughout her home by the décor and the relaxed atmosphere. The parlor is open to guests. While we were there we needed to wash a few clothes—no problem and Penny provided what we needed to do our laundry.

X Stonington folks are also laid back. They seem to live a slow paced life in spite of the fact they are working very hard.

Penny’s Bed and Breakfast is about two blocks from downtown, an easy walk to town.

Her breakfasts are simple and mostly consist of cold cereal, fresh fruit, muffin, and yogurt, fresh coffee and juice.

We stayed in the room with the walkout deck. If you can get this room I highly recommend it. The view of the ocean is incredible! My wife and I enjoyed the view so much we purchased sausage and cheese and ate two evening meals on the deck.

Penny has done an excellent job restoring an old Victorian house. I have done some remodeling and in retirement I am learning to build heirloom quality furniture so I really enjoyed looking at quality craftsmanship from past eras and enjoyed examining the many antiques.

Penny loves to visit. On two different occasions we had wonderful extended conversations. I want to add that I believe she visited with us because we were open. We learned a great deal about Stonington and things to do and see. She loves this place and loves sharing.

Josh was the highlight of my stay. I love to walk and he was a willing partner. It did not take Josh long to learn my walking schedule and if I was tardy he would come and remind me it was time. If I ignored him, which I usually did he would wiggle and jiggle all over to get my attention. By the way Josh is only allowed to visit your room if he is invited.

If there is a negative, it would be that Penny’s B&B has only two bathrooms so if you prefer your own private bath, I would recommend going somewhere else.

We will return to Stonington, ME soon and plan to stay at Penny’s Bed and Breakfast.

John Dickmann

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank John D
New York
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Penny and her dog Josh, are friendly hosts and will do what they can to make you comfortable in their home. Unfortunately, the four rooms upstairs share one extremely small bathroom that a plus sized person could not even enter. On the plus side, there is another bathroom, extremely large bathroom downstairs. The downside of that is that it's right off the dining room table. Given the condition of the upstairs bathroom, there can be a line to shower, take seat and wait at the dining room table! Breakfast is mostly "do it yourself." You can expect cereal, maybe a hannaford muffin, and some berries to go with your folgers coffee. If you are unlucky enough to get a room facing the road, you will likely be awakened to the sound of the lobsterman coming to work at around 4 in the morning, constant cars for what felt like hours.
All that being said, Penny is a pleasant host and seems to love Stonington with all her heart. While I like Stonington, I would recommend staying somewhere else on Deer Isle, or in Blue Hill or Castine (Pentagoet is fantastic!). Boyce's is a cheaper and better bet, if they have rooms.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skandakumar
Maine
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Thanks so much....Great place to stay, Friendly and Clean. Close to Fisherman's Friend Restaurant and the local Market. Thanks Penny

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 35yearsMaine
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I know I am terribly slow at posting a review for my stay at Penny's B & B. I should have done this a long time ago. I stayed here back in August 2010, and I have been thinking about it ever since. I went alone, and it was my first time traveling solo. I spent a lot of time online looking for the perfect place before settling on Penny's. I am so glad that I made the choice I did. Penny made me feel at home, as did the other guests whose stays overlapped mine. The trip truly inspired me on so many levels and I find myself daydreaming about it often. I hope to make it back for another visit, and I highly recommend staying here to anyone. It is a relaxed atmosphere with serve yourself breakfast and a great deck to enjoy your morning coffee or an evening glass of wine on. The location is perfect for strolling to town for dinner or shopping.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Penny's B & B? Share your experiences!