“Great place to grab a sea kayak”

Old Quarry Ocean Adventures
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Stonington
More attraction details
Owner description: We welcome you to visit one of the most extraordinary places on the coast of Maine. The Deer Isle-Stonington archipelago in Penobscot Bay is a unique and breathtaking area, home to the largest concentration of bald eagles in the lower 48 States, and over 60 uninhabited islands. It is well known to be the destination of choice for kayakers, sailors, campers, and any nature enthusiast. People from all over the world come to this place because of the quiet, un-spoiled and awe-inspiring environment. They come to Old Quarry because we provide the perfect access to this magical body of water, where seals and porpoises thrive and sea birds are abundant, where historic windjammers sail, and lighthouses stand stalwartly on rocky cliffs as sentinels of the night.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We didn't do a tour, just rented a sea kayak for my wife and I and two young boys. This place gave us just what we were looking for...a sea kayak, PDFs, and a map and let us go after it without much fus. Exploring the islands by kayak was amazing. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank John R
There are newer reviews for Old Quarry Ocean Adventures

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I had a great kayaking lesson with Jake in mid-August - he was excellent. The manager/owner was a bit disorganized, but that's okay. Two days later my husband and I took a boat trip out to Marshall Island with a group of 15. Again a bit disorganized. The part that was more distressing was that there was *no* safety focus at all - no discussion of where the PFD's were, no discussion of anything safety related. They at least did provide PFDs for the two tiny children on the boat, but did not require that the kids wear them - luckily, no problem. I was just surprised that there wasn't more of a focus on safety, given the incredibly cold water etc.

3  Thank Jo99
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I registered my 2 granddaughters and 2 grand nieces for the first ever Kayak Camp from 7/31 to 8/2 at Old Quarry. They are 8/9/10 and 11. The first day was spent learning skills and then Thursday it was of to Hell's Half Acre to spend the night, returning Friday at 4pm. They spent all of Friday kayaking etc in the pouring rain. I could have been greeted by 4 more delighted girls on Friday, although somewhat soaking wet and very tired. Their instructors could not have been better. Every camper was riveted to Kristy's every word. They thought she was the best. I asked them to rate the experience on a scale of 1-10. All four of these city kids said it needed to be 100.
I was thrilled and thought for the price per child it was truly a great experience. I can't recommend this place more highly. The girls did!

3  Thank VMaureen
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This multi-function campground is a great way to visit a hidden away gem of Maine, Stonington. The campground offers in the woods camping, ocean side camping, or sardine style group camping, which is what we do when my adventure club goes there. And we like it that way because then we can all gather and chat and exchange stories. There is a bath house with a dish washing station on the side.

You can order lobster or lobster with the works. You can get breakfast all day and box lunches. Camping without cooking!

Who has time to cook? Captain Bob has kayak rentals, sailboat rentals, ferry trips to Isle au Haut, kayak lessons, bicycles, and hiking trails. Bring your own kayak for an easy launch from the boat launch. Explore the adjacent quarries and learn about the history of granite quarries (which really is interesting).

Some camp sites require toting your stuff in, and parking your car in the parking lot. This is a little inconvenient but it means no beep beeps and car doors slamming. The bath house may not suit finicky girlie types who use hair spray but is wonderful after a day on the ocean. That is the only reason I didn't give 5 stars.

I just looked at the web page and Cap't Bill has even more stuff going on. I love the relaxed attitude and this would be a great place for families or groups.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We just got back from our 13th visit to Old Quarry . It just keeps getting better. Capt. Bill and crew are the best. They are all so helpful , fun and interesting. The all tide access for kayaking is fantastic. Can't wait to go back next year .
The bathhouse is clean and well cared for. The shower is nice and hot. The grounds are beautiful and the flowers a nice touch . Thanks OQ folks.