The Frog at Skirmett
Henley Business School(Henley-on-Thames)(Great Value!)
$94
Hotel du Vin(Henley-on-Thames)
$133
$127
  • Restaurant
The Red Lion Hotel(Henley-on-Thames)
$90
  • Restaurant
The Catherine Wheel(Henley-on-Thames)(Great Value!)
$55
$86
$72
Loch Fyne Henley(Henley-on-Thames)
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe pubchiltern valleymushy peasroaring firethe entire staffextensive menuold english pubby the glassset in beautiful surroundingssticky toffee puddingguinea fowlfamily luncheggs benedictstarters and mainsbeer gardensmoked haddockthree rooms
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went with a group of colleagues on a training course. The pub itself was rustic and everything I expected; good beer, open fire, comfortable and welcoming. The food however was a disappointment. Most were satisfied but my Hake with new potatoes cooked with chorizo was ordinary. The Hake was nicely cooked but tiny, the potatoes dull, boring, unappetising, undercooked and tasteless. The chorizo didn't add anything and seemed to be the hard charcuterie version rather than the soft cooking type. I didn't bother with desert.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We have often walked past The Frog so decided to treat ourselves to a night there with dinner. When a building is 250 years old having modern facilities must be a nightmare. Our room was small but it had a king size bed, a small bathroom with the requested shower, tea and coffee making facilities and a good tv. Everything was sparkling clean, we were comfortable and warm and very happy. In the bar there was a huge open fire, a delight on a cold winter's evening. We had scallops and king prawns for starters, both excellent. My husband then had hake (very good he reported) and I had lamb fillet. The lamb was excellent - generous, just pink, flavoursome. The menu is extensive and there were plenty of things we would like to have tried. The dessert menu was also extensive so we were also tempted. The Raspberry Cranachan that my husband had was particularly good. We had a very reasonably priced bottle of Spanish wine. All in all a most enjoyable evening. We slept well and woke to a beautiful sparkling winter's morning and a good cooked breakfast. We hope to be able to return for lunch before too long.

Room Tip: Only has 3 bedrooms. Don't worry about being by the road, there is hardly any passing traffic.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marshall04
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Had a table booked at The Frog half way around a walk in The Chiltern Hills. Had a very good Sunday lunch in a very pleasant pub in a super area. Service and food ware great. No problems at all and looking forward to returning at some point.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I am sorry to have to say that the grumpy landlady really let down what could probably have been the end to a lovely bank holidays recreation. i am sure that the fact that everyone was out for a New Years Walk , making it a busy afternoon may have contributed to her manner but, that is no excuse for down right rudeness when handling potential customers. We were ordered not to move a chair to a table that had been offered quite happily by the adjoining table , to raised eyebrows she then grabbed menus, marched across to the other side of the premises, through them down on the table and as she marched back past us as we tried to catch her up, told us not to sit at the end. I work in retail and if I had a member of staff talk to one of my potential customers in this manner and with such abrasive attitude I would have them off the salesfloor swiftly.
Needless to say we walked out to find somewhere more welcoming. Such a pity as wonderful location.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank amdenny
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Was due to meet a friend here - sadly she was stuck in a traffic jam but I decided to eat anyway. The food here is on the whole excellent. The Ham wellington especially was superb. There was an excellent selection of real ales and some good wines.

What was really outstanding was the service. The location is a way up the Hambledon Valley and there is no mobile phone reception. When they saw me struggling they offered me use of their landline and later when my friend phoned back passed the call on to me. I was really impressed.

I cannot think of a better pub that I have been in recently

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo