Mount Desert Island, home of Acadia National Park, is busy, busy, busy in the summer. It's no wonder! Acadia is a beautiful park and should be on everyone's bucket list. The western side of the island, however, is not nearly so overrun with tourists. Hence, its reputation as the "quiet side of the island."
We recently stayed two nights in Southwest Harbor, the least quiet town in the "quiet side." Still, it quiets down in the evenings, so our room at the Cafe Drydock & Inn in the midst of the town of Southwest Harbor was quiet and relaxing. We had a queen bed in an ample-sized room with summery Maine cottage decor. Marty, the owner, welcomed us graciously, took us to our room, even helped us with our luggage. There doesn't seem to be an elevator to the second floor (where the rooms are located), so don't go to the Drydock if you require easy accessibility. There is no on-site parking, but Marty directed us to free around-the-clock parking about half a block away. Unload your luggage, then go park.
The cafe downstairs was filled our first evening, but our friend whom we were visiting in Southwest Harbor had another place in mind, so we didn't eat at the cafe at the Drydock. It certainly was busy enough to suggest that it is popular. Have fun, and take the free shuttle bus to Acadia National Park Visitor Center from right in front of the Drydock Inn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come and experience the timeless charm of a coastal Maine village. A pleasant walk brings you to the docks, boatyards, and Coast Guard Station of this working harbor. On the opposite shore lies Manset, home of the world famous Hinckley Boatyard. There are many beautiful mountain top or seaside walks on the quiet side of Acadia National Park. Ship Harbor, Wonderland, and Beech Mountain are but a few sights to see. Cafe Drydock and Inn is located opposite the Village Green in the center of Southwest Harbor. You will be within a five minute drive to many activities, including sailing, canoeing, golfing, swimming and biking. Make Cafe Drydock and Inn your comfortable accommodations while experiencing your island adventures.We have 8 rooms and are not a bed and breakfast but a small inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Cafe Drydock & Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cafe Drydock And Inn
- Cafe Drydock Hotel Southwest Harbor
- Cafe Drydock & Inn Maine/Southwest Harbor