“Pleasant stay in the "Quiet Side"”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Drydock & Inn

Cafe Drydock & Inn
Maine, USA
“Pleasant stay in the "Quiet Side"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Mount Desert Island, home of Acadia National Park, is busy, busy, busy in the summer. It's no wonder! Acadia is a beautiful park and should be on everyone's bucket list. The western side of the island, however, is not nearly so overrun with tourists. Hence, its reputation as the "quiet side of the island."

We recently stayed two nights in Southwest Harbor, the least quiet town in the "quiet side." Still, it quiets down in the evenings, so our room at the Cafe Drydock & Inn in the midst of the town of Southwest Harbor was quiet and relaxing. We had a queen bed in an ample-sized room with summery Maine cottage decor. Marty, the owner, welcomed us graciously, took us to our room, even helped us with our luggage. There doesn't seem to be an elevator to the second floor (where the rooms are located), so don't go to the Drydock if you require easy accessibility. There is no on-site parking, but Marty directed us to free around-the-clock parking about half a block away. Unload your luggage, then go park.

The cafe downstairs was filled our first evening, but our friend whom we were visiting in Southwest Harbor had another place in mind, so we didn't eat at the cafe at the Drydock. It certainly was busy enough to suggest that it is popular. Have fun, and take the free shuttle bus to Acadia National Park Visitor Center from right in front of the Drydock Inn.

Room Tip: Room number four is very attractive.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank yalahajohn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

we stayed there for 4 nights and enjoyed it very much! we had probably had the smallest room, but ot was well-equipped. especially the microwave oven and the refridgerator werd handy and helped to keep the budget a bit lower.

• Stayed August 2013
Swampscott, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is an amazing little jewel in Southwest Harbor. My family has been staying at the Cafe Drydock and Inn for at least a decade. The rooms are always immaculately clean and the recent renovations were very well done. The innkeepers are some of the nicest people you'll find.

Room Tip: If you are staying for a couple of days you might want to ask for a room with a kitchenette.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lexington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I stopped here on our way to Canada. We were a little nervous since it was so well priced and we were pleasantly surprised at how wonderful this place was. The room we had was small but wonderfully decorated and clean, the linens were lovely. The owner, Marty, was delightful and actually helped me with an anniversary surprise. We ate in the downstairs cafe and the food was unbelievably good....well priced and good portions. the staff were wonderfully attentive and it was a very enjoyable experience.
I would highly recommend this place, it was one of the best places we stayed at on our trip and would love to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the accommodations at this inn. The inn is directly over the restaurant, and located on one of the only streets in Southwest Harbor that people frequent. We liked the "homey" feel of the inn (we stayed in room 3, which is actually a small suite) and the contemporary design and furnishings. The kitchen was well furnished and had everything we needed. The dishes were pretty like what you would buy for your own home--not the generic type you'd find in a timeshare. The bedroom in room 3 was very, very small, so it can only fit a full size bed. This presented a small problem because we are used to sleeping on a king...so my husband slept on the couch for all 3 nights of our anniversary getaway (!). That's why I took off a star on the rating. I'd think that one of the larger accommodations would have a larger bed/bedroom, but for some reason, that is not the case. There are also no closets in room 3, and very little space for luggage, and I think that is also the case with the other rooms from what I could see. Other than that, we have no complaints. It was clean and well lit, and totally adorable. Staff sightings were few and far between, but the staff that I encountered were friendly and helpful. There is a tanning salon right next to room 3 which is available for guests. I've never used a tanning bed and don't intend to, so I can't tell you for sure if it was up to par or not, but it looked nice enough. I used the room briefly because there happened to be a full-length mirror in there.

Room Tip: Room 3 is a small corner apartment with great views of Main Street from the bedroom. Includes fridge...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Weymouth, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and lab mix for one night to have a night away on the "quiet side" of the island. I loved the room and casual set up of inn and cafe. Room had updated furnishings. New cellular shades didn't block the sunlight in the morning so be sure to close the drapes as well unless you plan to be up with the sunrise to hit the trails. There is only one room available to stay in with dogs but you wouldn't know it's the "dog friendly" room at all. Very clean and no wear shown at all. It's a smaller room but extremely reasonably priced compared to the rest of the island. I personally loved the smallness of SW harbor because I have been to Bar Harbor a ton but could see a first time visitor basing themselves from here and enjoying all there is to see in Acadia. Dinner here was great also. They have a side deck where we could all sit (dog included) and have a nice night out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
pittsburgh pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I enjoyed my experience at this bed and breakfast and I would return.

Relative to the other side of Mt. Desert island, the setting was quiet and not nearly as hectic - I'm very grateful that I chose to stay in this region, rather than the other side, close to Bar Harbor.

The food was really good here, and the room was comfortable and clean.

If you prefer being a the center of a lot of action/being close to a lot of people, and getting a lot of attention during your stay at a bed and breakfast, I would not recommend this business. If you're like me, and prefer things quieter, less crowded and you value your privacy then I would highly recommend this business.

Tip: Park in the guest parking lot behind the building once you've gotten your things into your room. Don't stress out, thinking that you need to fight to find a street spot. The parking lot is right in front of a police station :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Islandlocal90, Owner at Cafe Drydock & Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and also eating here. We are called the quiet side for the reasons that you discovered. It is a little slower paced here and also less traffic. Our town has 1600 year round residences including us. Our inn is always open and it is really quiet in the winter. Fishing activity goes on through the winter months as fishermen head out on the good days. Thank you again for your great review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwest Harbor
#16 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Acadia Hotel
Acadia Hotel
#9 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to Cafe Drydock & Inn? Share your experiences!