“Nice place, good food”

Red Sky
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2010

We were given the suggestion to eat at Red Sky by the owners of the B&B we were staying at. I asked if going very casual was ok, and was told yes. Upon entering the restaurant, I felt a bit awkward because we were really under dressed. Despite that, the server was warm and friendly, maybe a little too much so. We had the lobster bisque which was good, not great. I had the lobster and risotto, this was a very flavorful dish, and would eat it again. My husband had the pasta with seafood and enjoyed it too. For dessert I had the Rolo cake, it was good, but the cake was such dark chocolate it kind of over shadowed the caramel center.

There are newer reviews for Red Sky

Reviewed January 2, 2010

Having dinner at Red Sky is like visiting my favorite restaurant in New York City - the wait staff is knowledgeable and unobtrusive; the dishes are created with innovation and flare; and the atmosphere is fun and friendly. If it were possible I would eat here every night during my visits to Mount Desert. It is clear how much care is taken to incorporate local produce - fish and vegetables gathered from within a short radius of the restaurant - the pasta dishes are delicious and inspired and the desserts are heavenly. I thoroughly enjoy the comfortable ambiance that James and Elizabeth have created and can't think of a single thing I would change...except perhaps more time when the restaurant is open during the winter months.

Reviewed October 19, 2009

I remembered having had a very good meal and lots of fun two years ago, so looked forward to returning. Being told to wait at the bar with my husband and my elderly aunt was annoying, since we arrived promptly for our reservation. Once seated, of all things, the service was overly friendly...to the point of feeling a bit rude. My dinner was okay, not great...the kind of meal that makes you feel you could have stayed home and had one at least as good, maybe better.

Reviewed October 9, 2009

Although had reservations from a week ahead, had to wait in small entrance with at least 6 others for more than 30 minutes. Host seated someone who pushed ahead before the folks waiting patiently, and then seated a "regular", while the rest cooled their heels. Very poor show for a supposedly "fine" restaurant. Food was mediocre - squash soup had little flavor and Mexican Seafood Stew had lots of seafood, but it had been added to stew stock at last minute, so stew had no seafood flavor. Overrated. Avoid it.

1  Thank squam03
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Red Sky is the perfect choice for a special occasion. The owners pay attention to every detail: cocktails are prepared to perfection, an amuse-bouche is a little bite of heaven, meals are made with the freshest local ingredients & imaginatively concocted, desserts are almost sinful. I had locally caught fresh cod, quite rare in New England these days, prepared simply but beautifully and it was a cloud of deliciousness that melted in my mouth! We ordered wines by the glass with 2 different courses taking the recommendations of the bartender (sommelier?) and were very impressed by the quality. Every employee was quiet, efficient and gracious. We really felt the entire staff takes pride in working at Red Sky and works well as a team. The warm ambience and entire dining experience was flawless. Considering we showed up without a reservation (each thought the other had made it) and the restaurant was fully booked -- the graciousness we were shown was remarkable. The outside storefront of Red Sky is quite inauspicious and its location on a side street on the " quiet side" of Mt. Desert Island might cause one to pass it by. Also, I'd heard it was fairly pricey so it took us a few years to get around to trying it since we were 'judging the book by its cover.' This is the best restaurant on Mt. Desert Island. It is expensive and its worth every penny! Memorable experience!