“Unfortunate experience”

Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Bass Harbor, Maine, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unfortunate experience”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I had been craving prime rib for about three months and finally had the time to stop by this local eatery on one of their advertised prime rib nights. I ordered a rare cut, was told they only had well done, and was served an end cut. When I expressed my disappointment to the waiter, who oddly addressed us as if he had escaped from a Renaissance fair, his eyes got very large and he asked me to please not tell the manager. This put me in an awkward spot all round. I have eaten here several times and the food has never been anything special, but this was one of the most disappointing dining experiences in recent memory. Won't be returning.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Louvilla

Albany, New York
“These guys are great!”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My family usually ends up coming here more or less every year. The food's great. The owners are really friendly. I highly recommend the veal piccata, but pretty much everything is good here.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Nicholas J
Avon, Indiana
“keep driving...”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

OK, maybe it was an off night.....We visit MDI every 2 to 3 years in October and stay in SW Harbor. Until this past October, this restaurant would typically be closed for the season just prior to our arrival. Would that it had been true this time. There were 4 in our party and we each ordered different menu items, which, surprisingly all were still available as the following day would be their last of the season. I wish they'd been out. It took what I considered to be an inordinate amount of time to show up at our table to take the order but then the real wait began. They didn't seem to be over-crowded but perhaps under-staffed. Nevertheless, we waited for nearly 20 minutes to even have an appetizer served and drinks refreshed. 10 minutes after that our entree's arrived. The quality and quantity was fine but really no better than what you'd expect at a Denny's.
There are plenty of better options on the island; I suggest you consider giving this one a pass.

• Visited October 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Tip Top Experience”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had a family of 10 there for dinner with children and elderly. Everyone was very helpful in getting us seated and making us comfortable. They gave us quick service through the whole meal starting with our drinks, water and warm Italian bread. We had a variety of food starting with Bruschetta, Clam Chowder, Salads then for our Entree's we had Veal Marsala, Shrimp and Scallop Alfredo over Rotini, New York Steak , Haddock Florentine and Gradma's Huge Meatball with sauce and pasta. It was all large portions and delicious! Then on to desert! We loved the Crème Bile', Brownie a la mode, and Blueberry pie with ice cream.
Thank you so much Deb, Dan, and there staff!

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank gloriab847
“TOPS for us!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My family loves going to this restaurant and it has been an anniversary stop many times over my parents 55 year marriage. The owner and staff are so friendly, efficient, and helpful especially with a family member in a wheel chair. My husband and I go early to sit at the cozy bar where we have had delicious drink specials made with homemade infused flavors. We love the decor and the atmosphere is relaxing. Hopefully you will be lucky enough to be there on the nights that Roberta sings. It is so much fun especially when she has people join her. For appetizer the clam chowder is excellent and love the minestrone soup. Our family and friends also love the bruschetta and artichoke dip. For dinners, we have yet to find something that wasn't so delicious. Haddock florentine is one of our favorites among Beef Stroganoff, Scallops Alfredo, Chicken Parmesan, Spaghetti and Meatballs (excellent meatballs). We have had wonderful steaks and desserts too. It is also so nice to see a restaurant with specials for the people who work in the local food industry and the complete meal deals. I just cannot say enough about how much we love this restaurant. Always have had wonderful food and a really lovely evenings!

• Visited September 2013