“Stick to the classics”

Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We always come here the first night of our vacation because we can get a res in the late afternoon. We enjoy lobster and basic appetizers like calamari and mussels. I'd stay away from any dance sounding fish dishes with sauces-- the sauces haven't been very good in the past. Pasta dishes are also good, but again, avoid fancy sounding special sauces. Blueberry pie was good. Nice staff.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We've eaten here before some years ago and decided to eat there last night as it's near our campground and we were tired out. I ordered the seafood platter and wifey ordered the clam and scallop combo. Everything was good until we tried the scallops which didn't seem to be fully cooked so we sent 'em back. They cooked another order for us and they were also non-opaque. I don't know about you, but I don't think you should eat fish rare unless you're eating raw-bar food. We passed on the remake after trying 'em. The manager came over and told us we didn't know what we were talking about (in a nutshell) and that this is the way you're supposed to cook scallops. The new batch of scallops came out as we were ready to leave and the manager insisted we try them. This batch was cut in half to facilitate the cooking, but by then I was done. My better half tried them and still didn't like them. We said OK, that's fine, where's the bill? They ended up comping one of the meals. I still tipped the waitress for everything but we will order Italian next time we go. The rest of the meal was great, clams were tiny and delicious, shrimp was tasty from the gulf of Maine and the haddock was scrumptious.

MaineDdx3, Manager at Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I think you may be used to processed foods from your local Franchise Restaurants; where the "normal" handing of these delicate mollusks is typically met by bleaching them in a brine to produce an unnatural white color throughout the meat. The LOCAL scallops served here are cooked FRESH and NEVER frozen; and we don't OVERCOOK them unless the customer requests them well done~and this we do begrudgingly.
Our Scallops are DIVINE~I know this because I grew up on MDI and have been eating the local Seafood here ALL MY LIFE~and ours are some of the best I have EVER tasted; you could eat them raw~ they are so succulent and fresh and juicy.
Thank you for mentioning your past positive experiences with us, and please do return to enjoy our great Italian food~but, I agree~YOU should NOT be eating the scallops, as your idea of what seafood is acceptable is not what we PROUDLY serve here.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I went to the Top of the Hill for the 1st time since we moved her 6 summers ago. We live in Bar Harbor and spend a lot of time here but have been wanting to visit the Top of the Hill for a long time. This week while trying to decide where to go - we voted Top of the Hill and so glad we did! Debbie, the owner is really a friendly, gracious hostess and has a great staff. Our server was friendly and attentive. The food was outstanding! The meatball appetizer we shared was delicious as was the Chicken Italiano.....if you like capers and artichokes, this dish is for you. We chose a Malbec that was really smooth. The next time you're in Southwest Harbor, Maine and are trying to decide where to go for dinner, please do yourself and your family a favor and visit Top of the Hill - you won't be sorry!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

food was great, service was good and very knowledgeable about area and things to do with children ( shared ideas she does with her kids and family - which we loved)

1  Thank harold m
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I cannot recommend this establishment due to both the staff and the setup.

The building has an inside dining area and an area referred to as the patio, which is basically a room with screen-less windows which slide open. When we entered the building, the hostess took us to the patio without ever offering us the opportunity to sit inside without the bugs. The reason I mention this is that we later heard to same hostess giving another couple the option of where they wanted to sit.
We arrived at 8:30 in the evening and were sat next to a bright light. Guess what happens as it gets dark. Bugs fly towards the bright light. We had to eat while batting away misquotes and moths from our food. Later the staff came in and closed some of the windows but not all, so the problem continued for the duration of our meal.

When I unrolled the clothed napkin to access my silverware, I found a badly bent fork. To me, this indicates that the staff who rolled that napkin did not care about their work or did not pay attention to their work. Neither situation is a good sign. Later, I had to ask the server two separate times before I finally received a replacement fork.

The food was barely average. I ordered veal. It was tough and soaking in a pool of dripping watery sauce. I love red sauce and this was not it.

Staff: Our server was polite. However, when she refilled the water glasses, she ran out of water before she got to my glass. Instead of coming back with more water, she got busy elsewhere and I had to eat most of my meal without the benefit of water to drink.

The real problem was two other staff members. The bartender and hostess ladies got into a discussion about the portion of tips the hostess should receive from the server. The blonde female bartender used the language, of saying the hostess was b..ing about tips. It is hard to enjoy one’s meal when listening to staff gripe about their work environment.

As I said, I cannot recommend this establishment.

4  Thank Bugler
MaineDdx3, Manager at Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Oh my gosh, I have to apologize to you about the “bartender lady and the hostess”, as I am the “bartender” in question, and the hostess is my 15 YO daughter. And, while I’m sure you are slightly exaggerating the conversation (as I don’t speak in that language to my daughter or near customers), anyone with a teenager can understand that they can sometimes push a button within us as parents that overrides all other factors. I will be most definitely more aware of that in the future.
As to your issue with being seated on the patio, We don’t always offer seating options, because we want to keep our servers working at a pace that ensures your excellent service. When one server gets seated with too many tables at once, they are put at a disadvantage~as are you, the customer. We will, however ALWAYS place you where you would RATHER sit, IF you voice that preference; it’s certainly NOT a problem.
This brings me to a very SORE SPOT as an owner of a long-time (17 years) successfully operating Mom & Pop business~WHY ARE WE ALL SO QUICK TO AIR OUR GRIEVENCES ONLINE!? Yes, I understand that the internet has made it very easy to offer our opinions, but I and my staff are RIGHT HERE while you are on property to MAKE IT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE; if given the chance. JUST SPEAK UP!! I can only speak for myself here, but our family wants you to leave happy; we pride ourselves in our establishment, and we have a deep love of our business and our customers. So, if we haven’t reached our goal of making you happy, please allow us to do so while you’re here; otherwise, we cannot .
The Marinara Sauce we serve has been a longtime standard and tradition in my family (it is my Grandmother’s recipe), and we have had hundreds of requests to bottle it. We have even had regular customers drive from across the Bay just to get a “fix”, so I think that is a personal preference, and we will continue to proudly serve it to our faithful and newfound appreciative customers.