“You Deserve Better”

Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I cannot recommend this establishment due to both the staff and the setup.

The building has an inside dining area and an area referred to as the patio, which is basically a room with screen-less windows which slide open. When we entered the building, the hostess took us to the patio without ever offering us the opportunity to sit inside without the bugs. The reason I mention this is that we later heard to same hostess giving another couple the option of where they wanted to sit.
We arrived at 8:30 in the evening and were sat next to a bright light. Guess what happens as it gets dark. Bugs fly towards the bright light. We had to eat while batting away misquotes and moths from our food. Later the staff came in and closed some of the windows but not all, so the problem continued for the duration of our meal.

When I unrolled the clothed napkin to access my silverware, I found a badly bent fork. To me, this indicates that the staff who rolled that napkin did not care about their work or did not pay attention to their work. Neither situation is a good sign. Later, I had to ask the server two separate times before I finally received a replacement fork.

The food was barely average. I ordered veal. It was tough and soaking in a pool of dripping watery sauce. I love red sauce and this was not it.

Staff: Our server was polite. However, when she refilled the water glasses, she ran out of water before she got to my glass. Instead of coming back with more water, she got busy elsewhere and I had to eat most of my meal without the benefit of water to drink.

The real problem was two other staff members. The bartender and hostess ladies got into a discussion about the portion of tips the hostess should receive from the server. The blonde female bartender used the language, of saying the hostess was b..ing about tips. It is hard to enjoy one’s meal when listening to staff gripe about their work environment.

As I said, I cannot recommend this establishment.

4  Thank Bugler
MaineDdx3, Manager at Demuros' Top of the Hill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Oh my gosh, I have to apologize to you about the “bartender lady and the hostess”, as I am the “bartender” in question, and the hostess is my 15 YO daughter. And, while I’m sure you are slightly exaggerating the conversation (as I don’t speak in that language to my daughter or near customers), anyone with a teenager can understand that they can sometimes push a button within us as parents that overrides all other factors. I will be most definitely more aware of that in the future.
As to your issue with being seated on the patio, We don’t always offer seating options, because we want to keep our servers working at a pace that ensures your excellent service. When one server gets seated with too many tables at once, they are put at a disadvantage~as are you, the customer. We will, however ALWAYS place you where you would RATHER sit, IF you voice that preference; it’s certainly NOT a problem.
This brings me to a very SORE SPOT as an owner of a long-time (17 years) successfully operating Mom & Pop business~WHY ARE WE ALL SO QUICK TO AIR OUR GRIEVENCES ONLINE!? Yes, I understand that the internet has made it very easy to offer our opinions, but I and my staff are RIGHT HERE while you are on property to MAKE IT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE; if given the chance. JUST SPEAK UP!! I can only speak for myself here, but our family wants you to leave happy; we pride ourselves in our establishment, and we have a deep love of our business and our customers. So, if we haven’t reached our goal of making you happy, please allow us to do so while you’re here; otherwise, we cannot .
The Marinara Sauce we serve has been a longtime standard and tradition in my family (it is my Grandmother’s recipe), and we have had hundreds of requests to bottle it. We have even had regular customers drive from across the Bay just to get a “fix”, so I think that is a personal preference, and we will continue to proudly serve it to our faithful and newfound appreciative customers.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Once again, we ate at the Top of the Hill. We had 17 in our party on a Saturday night. Shelly was our server and did a fabulous job! I had the baked stuffed haddock which did not disappoint! With a party this large, we were able to get the "front" room with Roberta at the keyboards. The food and service was excellent. Thank you so much to Debby, Shelly and Roberta for making this night a memorable experience. <3

2  Thank Carrie M
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Nice restaurant right in Southwest Harbor. Prices were reasonable and menu was varied. Very friendly staff.

2  Thank drpff
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Thought I'd try a place where locals frequent and should have turned around when I walked in the door. This place is stuck in time -- perhaps 30 years ago -- very country. Cant say anything derogatory about the staff -- they were quite nice. But if you are looking for good food (Italian or otherwise) look elsewhere! The only saving grace in this meal was the fried calamari -- it was certainy everything the waitress said -- fresh and tender but the marinara sauce was like ketchup. Actually the consistency WAS just like ketchup. Marinara sauce should have chunks of tomato in it and have some favor -- I actually think this was ketchup. But again, calamari was good except sauce. But the haddock for entree (got the naked one) was certainly overcooked and most likely frozen -- it was almost inedible. So based on the marinara sauce I had I can't imagine how any Italian entree could be good (claimed the sauce they use is a recipe handed down from several ). They had a piano player/singer that night who probably had played in that same place for 25 years -- definitely not my cup of tea.
I know Italian food and if you've ever had Italian before, don't eat here -- you will be disappointed.

2  Thank goodfoodguy747
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Meal was very good. Staff was very pleasant. Great place for seafood or meat dishes. We sat on the porch for an airy experience. For more traditional setting, the inside eating area is also very pleasant.