“Absolute Favorite”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013

XYZ is my favorite restaurant hands down. It's off the beaten path, it's small and crowded and you need to make a reservation to ensure a table - but that is part of the fun and the charm. Owners Janet and Bob Strong have created a Nirvana for lovers of authentic Mexican cuisine and great cocktails. Janet greets all her guests personally. It's a nice touch and part of the whole experience. The wait staff is always great and accommodating. But the food is the real star. My favorite is the short rib. Spicy, tender. To die for. For dessert, Janet's XYZ pie is just the ticket to put out the fire. It's a decadent combination of a cookie crust and homemade fudge sauce between layers of Butter Crunch and Coffee Ice Cream. XYZ is open May through October. The season is short and I dream about their food during the off-season.

2  Thank Jamie O

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I don't understand why people like this place so much. I have been a few times. The menu suggests a varied fare, but when you see the plated put on the table, everything looks like a piece of protein with a sauce and beans on the side. Somehow it has gotten a chic reputation, but it is overblown.

3  Thank GBC151
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was really dissapointed with the food here, especially with the price we paid. I don't see what all the hype is about, everyone I know loves this place. I did enjoy my sangria though, so if you are only looking for a place to sit, talk, and drink the atmosphere here is great.

1  Thank minealready
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was not only the worst restaurant we're been to, but also the most over-rated!
We were excited to try the food, but were not only disappointed by it, but also by the atmosphere, and especially the service - TERRIBLE!

2  Thank samantha w
mexveritas, Owner at XYZ Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

thanks for the wonderful review. in our opinion a strong response is a great response. we accept the compliment.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I had the beef tongue and the mole poblano. Both were outstanding. Hard to believe you may eat authentic Mexican in Southwest Harbor, ME. I do know and prepare authentic Mexican and this is the genuine article. Be sure to make reservations.

2  Thank Rich O