“Okay food, very poor value”
Review of XYZ Restaurant

XYZ Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Okay food, very poor value”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I reside in Chicago and am thus spoiled with good Mexican fare. My principal complaint is not with the food per se, but with value. Indeed, if the prices at this little Mexican joint were a bit more reasonable, it would likely garner a more positive review. That said, the food does not justify the $25 that you will pay for each main dish. I ordered the chile relleno and was underwhelmed. The dish was a bit too bland and the ingredients simple; I would happily pay $10 for a dish of this quality. My other principal complaint is that they served bread before our courses. I expect chips or tortillas or something a bit more traditional at a place serving Mexican fare. On the bright side, I did not have a problem with mosquitoes as other reviewers noted and the ambiance was nice (though the dining room was a bit dark). The desserts were also good. Still, these redeeming qualities in no way justify the $35-45 you will pay per person for two dishes and a drink.

1 Thank posttranslational
mexveritas, Owner at XYZ Restaurant, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
The perception of value is always interesting. In Mexico one can buy an order of chile rellenos at a stall in the market or go to a happening restaurant overlooking the plaza where you will pay considerably more for basically the same dish. Which is the better value? And while a bowl of fried tortilla chips has become ubiquitous at many eateries serving mexican food in the united states such is not the case in Mexico. At our favorite restaurants in San Luis Potosi dinner service always begins with crusty bread rolls not tortilla chips. It is unfortunate that many Americans equate dining in Mexico with a Super Bowl party.

“Good Mexican Food But Expensive”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The night we were there--a Friday--brought excellent service and very little sign of the mosquitos that other have experienced. The food was good but not great. All of the main courses were priced at 25 dollars and I thought that this was expensive especially since comparable restaurants in and about Chicago are considerably less in particular for the vegetarian dish and these restaurants provide chips. All in all if you are tired of seafood or fish food this is a decent alternative. I would prefer to pay the same amount and eat at Red Sky.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious, hidden spot!”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Though we initially drove past this hidden spot, once we found it we felt like we were part of the family. The owner greeted us and was very friendly to us and our son. The restaurant filled up quickly (make sure you make reservations!). Menu is small, but authentic and very good. We started with a chilled avocado soup then I had the chili rellenos (not deep fried like at the chains, but baked to gooey, bubbly perfection) and my husband had a mole dish. My only disappointment was that I didn’t have my basket of chips and guacamole to munch on while we were waiting (they serve bread and salsa instead), but the food was good enough to make up for that. That, and it was incredibly buggy so come armed with your bug spray if you plan on stepping outside at all!

Visited August 2012
West Virginia
“Don't miss this place!!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Truly authentic Mexican food, Hard to believe we went to Maine for lobsters and the best meal we had was Mexican!!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank dwipeone
New York City, New York
“Run for the border...or the exit!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

OMG, what a train wreck! Apparently this place was closed for two years. The tragedy is that it re-opened. The proprietress, a self-satisfied pseudo-elite, is so full of herself I wanted to smack her. Dear friends took us to dinner as their guests (they had been a few times prior) and they and we were aghast at the entire experience. We each ordered something different and all four of us thought the food was crap...overcooked, overseasoned and resultantly, overpriced. The margaritas? Pass. Bland, ice-overwhelmed and also overpriced. The highlight, sadly, was our snotty, vacuous, disengaged young female server, whose time would have been better spent stocking shelves at K Mart. She was so rude that it was almost amusing. We travel extensively and et out five or more nights a week. Our friends were mortified and apologetic. We were just stunned. My wife and I agreed that this was the worst restaurant experience we've had in at least ten years. Avoid, avoid, avoid. Go to Taco Bell...you'll thank me.

3 Thank ALKAcouple
mexveritas, Owner at XYZ Restaurant, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
We see thousands of people every summer and while most of our clientele leave telling us that they enjoyed the experience we do occasionally receive a patient whose needs excede the scope of our capabilities and resources. If this reviewer had talked to us directly we may have been able to recomend a more suitable facility.