“Once in a lifetime...”

Beal's Lobster Pier
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery
Description: Eat, drink and be messy. A visit to Beal's Lobster Pier is always a highlight - a restaurant that's on the water, with an atmosphere that's down to earth. At our working lobster pier in Southwest Harbor, Maine, you and your family will have a blast watching the boasts coming in and the lobstermen unloading their fresh catch. Hear the creak of rope on the moorings. Catch the scent of saltwater on the breeze and enjoy the waterfront view while chowing down on the freshest lobster you can eat. (Don't worry, the napkins are on us!)
Casco, Maine
“Once in a lifetime...”
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Whenever we come to the island, we make a stop at Beal's. Everything was just as it should be. We had a great visit. The coolest thing...we happened to be ordering when a blue lobster made an arrival! In my 37 years of being a Mainer, I've never seen a blue lobster. It was so cool. Then the manager or owner offered to take my pic with the lobster and send it to me. I was a happy girl. Great experience. Going back today to get some steamers/clams. Can't wait!

“Simply perfect”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Beals had always been sort of run down and shabby, but this year it is really spruced up. The tables are newer, the ordering area is larger and neater. The menu has been spruced up too, and includes gluten free choice of roll, a boon to my gluten intolerant husband. I had a boiled lobster, and cole slaw. My husband had a burger on gluten free roll. We were both delighted with our meal. I had a choice of hard or soft shell, and chose the hard. It was terrific, cooked just right. The cole slaw was classic, not too sweet, not too vinegary. We returned in a couple of days and I ordered pound and a half of steamed clams. Bliss. They were perfect size and fresh as could be. My husband had a hot dog this time, and some terrific fries. Beals is my idea of a perfect place to eat. Unpretentious, solid cooking in a beautiful environment, in this case a working wharf in Downeast Maine.

1 Thank wintergreen1
Armonk, New York
“We had high hopes for Beal's”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We were staying in Bar Harbor, but on a recommendation decided to trek over to Beal's. As other's have noted, it's quite expensive. My boyfriend had the lobster roll and he did not enjoy it. I had a fish sandwich and really liked it. We ordered potato salad, and for $3.50 we got an itty bitty container of it and it was awful. Being from NY, prices don't stun me, but that little thing of potato salad for $3.50 was a shocker. When I brought it to the attention of the owner, he thought it should have been $1.50 but came back after checking with the chef said it was correct at $3.50. He did try to make an appeasement, which I appreciated, but we were already full and we were ready to get going as we had our dog in the car. The net result is that there are better places to get an over priced lobster roll.

• Visited August 2014
“Great lobster and Sides; Comfortable waiting and eating area”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Our favorite lobster pound in the Bar Harbor area (we hit Stewmans (tourist trap) and Thurstons (okay - inexpensive, but not comfortable). The lobster is delicious. The beer selection is good. The sides are yummy (greasy spoon, but good). The waiting area (lining up to order/pay) is enclosed and comfortable. The eating area was clean and pleasant.

They have warm water to wash your hands (not at all of the lobster pounds).

Miss them already… will have to order some Beal's lobsters.

• Visited July 2014
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Why didn't I order lobster???”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

OK - this is a lobster place but after eating lobster 4 days in a row I opted for shrimp and my husband ordered fish and chips. The shrimp were tiny shrimp and all I tasted was the fried breading - tartar sauce was good. Hubby's fish and chips were ok. Slaw was just ok. We hadn't tried the lobster here but we do not recommend ordering shrimp or fish and chips.

2 Thank SKWink