“Lovely B&B with a great porch”

The Harbour Cottage Inn
Baltimore, Maryland
“Lovely B&B with a great porch”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed in the Carriage House for five nights with my husband and 21-yr old daughter. Everything was perfect, and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit here. Accommodations were lovely, clean and quiet; innkeepers and staff were pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful. Lots of nice touches and attention to detail. Breakfasts were excellent - we didn't miss a single one! The Inn porch overlooking the beautiful front lawn was a big hit with all of us. This was our first trip to Acadia, and I wasn't sure where I wanted to stay. Bar Harbor is very nice, but I am glad we chose Southwest Harbor - the "quiet side". Location was ideal for exploring most parts of Acadia.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Guilford, CT USA
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Harbour Cottage Inn for 4 nights with our 10 year-old son. I specifically choose the Inn for The Captain's Nook room, designed like a ship's state room, to entice our son into enjoying a B&B experience as much as we do. We all loved it! The room was very cleverly designed to make use of the roof lines and smaller space and it worked very well. The three of us enjoyed the cozy layout and the small sitting room was terrific if someone wanted to stay up later than the rest. I have to also add, as others have, that the beds are very very comfortable! The highlight though is the wonderful daily gourmet breakfasts which are fantastic and so well presented. We were impressed with the variety over the 4 days. We were very well fed to go off and enjoy the spectacular sights that Acadia has to offer!

Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I last visited Harbour Cottage Inn in August of 2010. When we left, I knew that we would have to return before too long. It actually took us two years since we did some international traveling in 2011, but we happily returned this August to spend six perfect days at the inn! Everything was even better than we had remembered it.

The common areas of the inn are lovely. There are lots of comfortable places, both inside and outside, to sit relax, read, and enjoy the lovely property. The indoor common area is appointed with lots of interesting antiques and many books to help you become familiar with Maine's many attractions. One of the things that I remembered from last time, and enjoyed this time also, was that there is coffee and tea set up all day so that if you are coming in and want to relax with a hot drink, you always can. Cheese, crackers and fruit are available during the afternoon.

We had stayed in The Dory during our first visit and loved it, but during our last visit, I caught a glimpse of the room, The Schooner, right next door. It appealed to me so this time we decided to make a change. We really loved the room. We were on a two week vacation and had a good deal of luggage with us, but the room offered enough drawer and closet space for us to be able to fully unpack comfortably. There was a closet in the room that had adequate hanging space plus lots of wonderful shelving. The bed was very comfortable! The bathroom was well appointed with a comfortable large shower and a convenient wall shelf where we could place all of our toiletries. I loved the eco friendly soap, shampoo and body lotion and all the wonderful linens for bed and bath. There was a new addition of a climate control air conditioner in the room, but the truth is we never turned it on. We enjoyed the breeze that was created by the keeping the windows open and using the ceiling fan. The room was pleasantly cool and we were able to have fresh Maine air to fall asleep to. That was a treat since we live in NJ and always have the air conditioning on in the summer! My favorite part of the room were the two lovely wing chairs where we could sit, relax and read.

Breakfast at the inn is very special. We sat out on the veranda each morning and were treated to juice, baked goods, fresh fruit and specialties such as Blueberry Stuffed French Toast, my personal favorite. The innkeepers combine their talents to make breakfast a wonderful part of each visit. Javier uses his talents as chef in the kitchen while Don is present to make sure that each guest is offered a friendly, helpful and relaxing start to the day.

We enjoyed our second visit as much as we did our first. The innkeepers are very warm, welcoming individuals and their attention to every detail of making our stay wonderful is very much appreciated. I would recommend The Harbour Cottage Inn to anyone who is planning a visit to beautiful Acadia National Park and the lovely surrounding area. The inn is conveniently located on the quieter part of Mt Desert Island with easy access to the park; minus the crowds of Bar Harbor. We are already thinking of when we will be able to visit Harbour Cottage Inn again.

1 Thank rkaufman
NH
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Southwest Harbour was a nice quiet alternative to Bar Harbour and the Inn was down a very quiet side street. Great for sleeping as there was no traffic whizzing by or late night revelers. The Downeaster was suitable for a couple although I would suggest the Inn put a small notation on this room's website listing noting that the ceiling height going up the steps is low for taller people. My husband is 6 2' and hit his head at least 2 or 3 times coming up the steps from the bathroom. I am 5/7" and had no issues. If you don't want to have to go down a flight of stairs at night to use the bathroom, choose another room...it was no issue for us but might be for some.

The breakfast was very good (the pancakes were awesome) and the waiters and inn keeper were attentive. We had no issues with being rushed and the veranda is lovely to start your day on. It is a lovely old home with decor suited to a New England home...homey main area and nice lawn with chairs for late night sitting.

The rooms were cleaned well and we had nice fresh towels. I would suggest that the staff not remove opened soap, shampoo, and lotion from the rooms every day. We would have used only 1 each of these in our 4 day stay if they had been left for us but we ended up using a new one each day. Seemed wasteful and not so eco-friendly. Possibly just add another to the basket on the sink in case a guest runs out?

There was a fridge in the main house for leftovers or drinks of guests....nice for those staying in the main house but rooms like ours with separate entrances around the back might benefit from a small fridge in the room. We simply bought ice daily for our cooler and took that into the room with us.

This was a 40th birthday trip for me and I had never stayed in a B&B...overall, a nice experience that was more homey than a big hotel. Breakfast at a set time was a worry for me as I notoriously sleep late but for me it got me up and going so we could enjoy full days of hiking, biking, and boating which is why we went to Acadia. Gorgeous park and lots to see. I would recommend this Inn to friends seeking a place to stay in Acadia.

Room Tip: Downeaster may have ceiling entry way too low for some tall men.
1 Thank Amy I
Amsterdam
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We visited and stayed at Harbour Cottage Inn for three days with our kids of 11 and 14. It was a more than pleasant experience. Of course the weather was great, that helps, but the service, the location and the rooms were the best we ever had in a B&B. And let's not forget breakfast! Being quite selective on that topic, we where truly happy with the fresh, creative and tasteful dishes. A warm recommendation for this little paradise. And a much better location then the more touristic Bar Harbour by the way.

Room Tip: As a family, book the Harbourside room!
1 Thank PeterAmstelveen
Yountville, California, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Two friends and I stayed four nights at this charming B&B. The accommodations are clean and pleasant, and the breakfasts are noteworthy. Our charming host helped us in planning a trip to Acadia National Park and provided useful information throughout our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was one of my first inn experiences, not my usual choice when I travel. This was perfect for me, very clean and relaxing environment and very unobtrusive style inn. Stayed in the Carriage House for 3 nights and loved it. There is no ocean view, but there are actually no real views that are worth paying for in Southwest Harbor and I didn't miss it at all. (The views are in the park people! Get out there!) It was so quiet at night, and easily walking distance (2 blocks) to the little town center. I had never been to Acadia, and had made a reservation at a waterfront property in Bar Harbor. Got a tip from a former Park Ranger that Southwest Harbor was the place to stay, especially if you have no kids and don't need retail therapy after a good day's hike. ABSOLUTELY the right decision. After walking the town, checking out Northeast Harbor and Bar Harbor, and spending 3 days in Acadia I would defnitely return to Harbour Cottage and the Carriage House on my next visit without hesitation.

Room Tip: I chose the Carriage House, a separate entrance cottage next to the main inn. Super charming, good...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwest Harbor
#16 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Kimball Terrace Inn
Kimball Terrace Inn
#2 of 2 in Northeast Harbor

Been to The Harbour Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!