“My All-Time Favorite B&B”
Review of Lindenwood Inn

Lindenwood Inn
Reviewed May 7, 2011

After reading this review, I know you will book a stay at The Lindenwood Inn. Just call them now and read my review later.

Okay, now that you've made the call, I'll tell you a little about what you'll find here...

My wife and I, avid twenty-something adventurers from Seattle, on a budget, have built a solid list of our favorite B&Bs over the years during our numerous national park vacations; our stay at The Lindenwood Inn this week easily tops the list. Surrounded by the comparatively small, yet magnificent scenery of Acadia National Park and the quaint fishing hamlet that is Southwest Harbor, The Lindenwood Inn is everything you'd want in a B&B and more. This historic house is eclectically and exquisitely updated without being pretentious. Never before have my wife and I so literally 'made ourselves at home.'

The staff is incredibly friendly; they are great rapport builders. We arrived late in the evening (during May, in the off-season) and the owner, Jim, stayed up to greet us. It was easy to get carried away chatting for hours with him and other guests at the fireside. If you'd rather not mingle around the living room fireplace, however, you can always retreat to your clean, beautiful, quiet, tranquil, and romantic room. Our room was the perfect place to unwind after a day of adventure in Acadia.

There is a bar downstairs near the kitchen where you can help yourself to a fairly priced adult beverage; just log your drinks on your room tab (using the honor system). They have an impressive array of beer, wine, and cocktails. The breakfast: magnificent (and filling). Bill, the on-site chef, is brilliant (the staff here previously ran a restaurant). I'm confident that the best food on the island is right here at the Lindenwood Inn. And since you don't have to go anywhere or fork out extra dough for breakfast, well, that's what often makes B&Bs a no-brainer. During our stay, Jim and Bill began experimenting with a dinner offering too, which we were very pleased with. This was especially nice during the off-season as dining choices were rather limited--Wait! What?! Really?! A bed & breakfast AND supper?! Yes, people. Yes.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scott_the_Hoople

Reviewed January 12, 2011

Always find a warm welcome here. Innkeepers sometimes not there at night but always leave a welcome note with phone # for contacting them if needed. Innkeepers are very friendly and nice an go out of there way to help you.
Pool and hot tub great. Park easy access. Like the breakfast of years past best, but it is still good. I just don't eat eggs every day. Lots of other goodies to choose from. Fresh baked goods daily.
Have stayed and will stay again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acaida
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Can't say enough good things about Lindenwood Inn! I needed a weekend away and after reading other great reviews I decided on Lindenwood. It certainly lived up to my expectations. So comfortable. My room was clean and bed comfortable and cozy. Housekeeping everyday. The breakfasts were so delicious. The innkeeper friendly and helpful. I will definitely be coming back with my children during the summer months.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2010

The hosts achieved that most difficult balance of service and privacy. We had a great upgraded room. Spacious and very comfortable. Good view of the harbor, but a bit of tree trimming would make it a great view.

The breakfast was excellent. Jim and Fred were very accommodating to our diet restrictions. The Inn itself is very nicely appointed and the two fireplaces were a comfort. We were there for Halloween. The hosts invited us to join them in handing out candy to the town kids and even provided costumes. We had a great time.

We were there for 3 nights and wished we could have stayed longer. The location is on the back side (quiet side) of the island and is very close to all Acadia has to offer. Southwest Harbor is a very nice town and close to walking paths, restaurants, and beautiful drives.

We will definitely be back and will try for Halloween weekend!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2010

What a letdown! I appreciate all of the other reviews and in some ways, maybe we should have had a heads up for what we encountered. Reviewers have commented that they like that the innkeepers are not overly present and that they give you space. We liked the idea of that... but not around at all is a whole other thing!

We spent two nights at Lindenwood. We arrived the first night around 5pm (hoping to find someone to give us a good restaurant recommendation for dinner) to find a note in the lobby with our name on it and keys - I guess anyone could have claimed them. It said that they were out, but that we could find our way to our room and settle in. A little awkward making ourselves at home in their home, but we did. Throughout the evening we looked for them several times and never found them. Finally we went to bed having never met our innkeepers.

The next morning we got up and went down to breakfast. We didn't know who the innkeeper was from the other guests so we had no idea what to do - sit down, look around, start getting coffee... Finally one of other guests spoke up and told us we could grab coffee. A few minutes later the innkeeper came out and started talking to us; however, he didn't introduce himself so at this point we thought we were just talking to another guest. It wasn't until 2-3 minutes into the conversation that we realized this was an innkeeper. My guess is he wasn't sure if he had already met us or not, so he was just going to strike up conversation. Otherwise, most people would introduce themselves and welcome a person into their home (possibly even apologizing for now being able to be around when they arrived). So weird!

This example pretty much sums up how our entire stay was. Zero hospitality, very uncomfortable, and certainly NOT a B&B experience. At a B&B, you expect a certain amount of warmth. You expect friendliness. You expect someone to inquire about your day and suggest places to see. At least in a hotel you have a concierge. I have to say, these last two days (which also happened to be the last two days of our entire Maine trip), gave us a poor taste of Maine. I had my husband sold on this trip - but I don't know that we'll be back. Certainly not to the Lindenwood for sure!

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank traveler2681
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Any time I asked for something it was too much to do at that time and the reply was when I have time I will come back to you, you can just wait.
I may have thought it was just me but others in the B&B complained about the smoke detctor going off early AM. Instead of saying they would look into it they gave a lame excuse and we all just rolled our eyes. I think the fire dept. should look into this before something happens, windows don't open, faulty smoke alarms, dead bolts locks will not unlock (another said they had trouble getting theirs unlocked as well) etc.
I would Never recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gehrt21
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Unfortunately, we found this gorgeous B&B on our second night in Acadia. We wasted the first night in Bar Harbor, which was a total zoo. The Lindenwood is beautifuly decorated and comfortable and within walking distance to town. We stayed in the penthouse, (they gave us a great rate!) and had a view of the harbor, a huge deck and a private hot tub. There is an honor system bar downstairs as well as pool and hot tub.

Breakfast was amazing. Warm scones and muffins, fresh fruit, pecan pancakes eggs and bacon! So delicious. The Inn Keeper was incredible helpful and hospitable. This is a very lovely, very relaxing place to stay. We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
#6 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Asticou Inn
Asticou Inn
#1 of 2 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Lindenwood Inn? Share your experiences!