“not good for breakfast...just coffee”

Milagro Coffee & Espresso
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Good coffee, but not a place for food. We went here hoping for a quick breakfast and coffee on our way to our activities for the day. My expectations were to be able to get a cinammon roll, muffins, bagels and other baked goods for a quick light breakfast. The place is small with limited choices on the baked goods. They were out of cinammon rolls, so our sons opted for a blueberry muffin (we were in Maine after all), but the muffin was dry and you couldn't taste the blueberries. I also tried a scone and biscotti, both not that good. My husband wanted something heartier so ordered the egg/sausage breakfast burrito they had listed on the menu. It was pretty bad...very small, hardly any egg or sausage, mostly potatoes, smothered with what tasted like jarred "pace picante" salsa and too much sour cream. Coffee and cappuccino were both good though if you are just looking for some coffee.

1  Thank travelsmiths4
MilagrosSWH, Owner at Milagro Coffee & Espresso, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

This traveler is missing the whole point of the appeal of Mt. Desert Island. Here on MDI we pride ourselves on all of the small independently ran business. No McDonalds, no Burger King, no Walmart, etc. The facts are we have 18 seats inside our shop and several seating options outside. We would have to say this is an average size for a coffee shop (or even a bit bigger). In regards to baked goods, in August we offered 5 varieties of muffins, 5 varieties of bagels, 3 varieties of scones, 3 varieties of gluten free baked goods, granola, at least 6 varieties of sweet treats and even dog biscuits. All of this baked fresh daily in a kitchen that is roughly 5x5…pretty incredible…no? Considering Southwest Harbor has a year-round population of around 1,700 people we feel this is a pretty extensive menu.

Fact…our blueberry muffins (made with low fat yogurt) are loaded with Maine blueberries. So much so that they often “fall” after baking because they are too moist. Now, if this traveler selected our gluten free blueberry muffin then the texture would have been more like a crumb cake (yet still loaded with Maine blueberries).

Fact… our breakfast burrito is made on a 12” tortilla. In the burrito mixture you will find two scrambled eggs. It is a vegetarian burrito (keeping things healthy) and meat is optional for those who desire it. If you opt for sausage then a 1.5oz pork sausage patty is added to the burrito. According to the ADA our burrito is actually two portions. We are not sure how many more portions this traveler would require to call our burrito “regular size”.

For future travelers, we strive to provide the freshest baked goods using as little salt and sugar as possible. We also try to use local fruits and when possible organic products in our baking. If you are used to a high sugar, salt and/ or fat diet than our food might not be your cup of tea (or coffee)!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We always look forward to Getting off the water to good coffee and this great bakery. We've been doing it for many years and wouldn't miss it. Great place to stock up on treats and breads to take back on board.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great place to hang and figure out your day! Great food & coffee at a very reasonable price! It sits on the edge of town so you can't miss it.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I recently was in Maine vacationing in Bass Harbor/Southwest Harbor/Bar Harbor. My friend who was traveling with me is a coffee drinker and I'm not. She loves trying new little cafes so the second day we were in town we stopped in so she could get coffee. Instead of coffee I got a yummy treat. The first day I tried their gluten free macaroons. Delicious!!! I believe we stopped here three additional times. I tried the lemon bar and it was also yummy. I also got bag of the gummy bears for my hubby. They were a nice sweet treat for the road. I didn't drink the coffee by my friend said it was excellent! The customer service was also very good. I looked forward to our morning stops and treats.

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Tasty muffins along with excellent coffee. Perfect pitstop for a morning of Acadia sightseeing. Just north of southwest harbor, but worth the drive.